Author Topic: Florida Senate committee advances ‘anti-riot’ measure  (Read 1515 times)

Online libertybele

Florida Senate committee advances ‘anti-riot’ measure

Legislation that would increase penalties against violent protestors narrowly cleared a Florida Senate committee on Friday – after hours of passionate debate with deep racial overtones – and is another step closer to reaching the desk of Gov. Ron DeSantis.

The Republican governor has made passage of the bill a key legislative priority, launching his push last fall after months of turmoil across the country over the killing of Black people by police. DeSantis has argued that the state’s laws need to be strengthened to preserve law and order – and to deter violent protestors from destroying property.

Critics argue that it was squarely intended to quell the Black Lives Matter movement, which roiled the streets after the death of George Floyd, a Black man who died last May while being detained by Minneapolis police. The trial against former police officer Derek Chauvin is currently underway.

The measure presented a clash between the First Amendment’s right to peaceably assemble and the rule of law.

“I think something needs to be done. I don’t think protests or demonstrations are going to stop tomorrow. They will not. I don’t know where the balance is,” said Sen. Ed Hooper, a Republican who voted for the bill.

“Is this the right thing? I think history will tell us that,” Hooper said.

The House has already approved the measure, and its fate in the Senate was unclear when the Criminal Justice Committee declined to hear the bill. In an anomaly, the committee’s chair, Sen. Jason Pizzo, is a Democrat and he opposed the bill................

https://www.winknews.com/2021/04/10/florida-senate-committee-advances-anti-riot-measure/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Florida Senate committee advances ‘anti-riot’ measure
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 06:29:01 pm »
Ron DeSantis is DeSantis Claus, the bearer of a great gift. He protects the precious gift our founders gave us and our forebears fought and died to preserve: the gift of freedom. So he’s no monster, not to patriotic Americans anyway.

That’s why the Left hates him so much.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 06:50:41 pm »
Ron DeSantis is DeSantis Claus, the bearer of a great gift. He protects the precious gift our founders gave us and our forebears fought and died to preserve: the gift of freedom. So he’s no monster, not to patriotic Americans anyway.

That’s why the Left hates him so much.

Hopefully this will pass the Senate and he'll be able to sign this into law.  We're going to need it.

The left indeed hates him and I'm just waiting for them to trounce all over him.

We have thousands moving to FL and my fear is all those fleeing liberal states are going to vote DEM and turn us blue.  **nononono*

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 12:12:35 am »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 02:26:27 pm »
I watched the FL House session the other day when they passed the Womens Sports Protection bill barring people born with a penis from playing on girls teams. The FL Senate was supposed to take it up but tabled it when the NCAA threatened to pull championship games out of FL. Bunch of pu$$ies.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.