Author Topic: Beijing has pierced Washington’s deterrence bubble. How can the US recover?  (Read 239 times)

rangerrebew

Beijing has pierced Washington’s deterrence bubble. How can the US recover?

By: Craig Singleton 
Some of the 220 Chinese vessels that showed up at Whitsun Reef are seen moored March 7, 2021. The Philippine government expressed concern after spotting the fishing vessels it believed were crewed by militias. (Philippine Coast Guard/National Task Force-West Philippine Sea via AP)

The fishing vessels arrived one and two at a time, dropping anchor off the disputed Whitsun Reef near the Philippines. As the Chinese-flagged fleet grew larger, the vessels tethered themselves together, hunkering down for a gray zone standoff that has captured policymaker interest throughout the Pacific region.

And with that, Beijing burst Washington’s deterrence bubble.

In congressional testimony last month, officials advocated for new, multibillion-dollar investments in long-range strike capabilities and a sophisticated missile system in Guam. These new platforms, it was argued, are essential to reassuring our regional allies and deterring China.

https://www.defensenews.com/opinion/commentary/2021/04/09/beijing-has-pierced-washingtons-deterrence-bubble-how-can-the-us-recover/

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
There never ever can be any deterrence against China simply because everyone and the world knows that Biden and his Communist anti-America lackeys will never attack China under any circumstances, no matter what they do. By installing Biden and his Communist followers in the American Presidency, China essentially took over the world at that very instance.

But, at least the Liberals got rid of Trump...so they can sit around and gloat about that while they are all learning to speak Chinese.

It does no good and makes no sense for America to spend billions on 'deterrence systems' since everyone in the world already knows that Biden will never use them.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
240b wrote:
"There never ever can be any deterrence against China simply because everyone and the world knows that Biden and his Communist anti-America lackeys will never attack China under any circumstances, no matter what they do"

The "time to attack China" was in 1949-50-51, before they had nuclear weapons and while the Nationalist forces were still on the mainland. Macarthur was right.

Too late now.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
240b wrote:
"There never ever can be any deterrence against China simply because everyone and the world knows that Biden and his Communist anti-America lackeys will never attack China under any circumstances, no matter what they do"

The "time to attack China" was in 1949-50-51, before they had nuclear weapons and while the Nationalist forces were still on the mainland. Macarthur was right.

Too late now.
Could be.
I have always blamed Nixon for "opening the door" to China. That is what doomed us.
At that time America was so globally superior, they could not imagine anyone ever competing with them.
The same in the Middle East, with turning all the oil wells over to the Saudi regime.
America, at that time, never imagined and could not conceive that this would ever be a problem or a threat.
At that time, they had no idea (or did not care) what they would have to deal with in the future.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...