Author Topic: Deadlier, More Destructive Sniper Bullets Are High on Army's Wish List  (Read 198 times)

rangerrebew

Deadlier, More Destructive Sniper Bullets Are High on Army's Wish List

9 Apr 2021
Military.com | By Matthew Cox

The Army just picked a new, multi-caliber sniper rifle. Now, it wants a new class of ammunition to make snipers deadlier and more destructive against enemy personnel and equipment.

Under its Precision Sniper Rifle, or PSR, effort, the service awarded a $50 million contract in late March to Barrett Firearms Manufacturing Inc. for the MK22 Multi-role Adaptive Design, or MRAD, sniper rifle, which can be chambered for .338 Norma Magnum, .300 Norma Magnum and 7.62x51 NATO ammunition.

"A lot of the capability that we are looking for in the PSR is really resident in the ammunition," Lt. Col. Christopher Kennedy, chief of the Lethality Branch at Fort Benning, Georgia, told an audience Wednesday at the Maneuver Capabilities Development and Integration Directorate's Industry Day. "And while we are going to field [the MRAD] with commercial, off-the-shelf ammo, we are actually looking for a lot more capability, especially out of the .338."

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/04/09/deadlier-more-destructive-sniper-bullets-are-high-armys-wish-list.html

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@rangerrebew

I have no doubt they will be able to fire factory loads,or that they will even order a few cases or just buy it from a local gun store.

You can bet your ass that what they will be shooting on a hot employment will be handloads specifically tailored for each specific rifle.  Tailored right down to be the most accurate in the typical humidity levels of the air in the areas they go.

These people ain't amateurs,and for them,accuracy really is a life or death issue.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 01:06:29 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
@rangerrebew

I have no doubt they will be able to fire factory loads,or that they will even order a few cases or just buy it from a local gun store.

You can bet your ass that what they will be shooting on a hot employment will be handloads specifically tailored for each specific rifle.  Tailored right down to be the most accurate in the typical humidity levels of the air in the areas they go.

These people ain't amateurs,and for them,accuracy really is a life or death issue.
@sneakypete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLFYvG6MsZU
Maybe they need some of these?  Just kidding, I don't think they would be good for really long shots :pondering: Anywho I don't know if you ever watched this knuckleheads videos, he used to do some crazy stupid stuff but hasn't seemed to post in years.