Author Topic: ‘We are in desperate need of U.S. military boots’: Fort Bragg seeks boots for memorial  (Read 220 times)

rangerrebew

â€˜We are in desperate need of U.S. military boots’: Fort Bragg seeks boots for memorial

A collection of boots, each with the photo of a fallen service member, at memorial display at Fort Bragg, N.C., May 19, 2019. (U.S. Army photo by Pfc. Hubert D. Delany III / 22nd Mobile Public Affairs Detachment)
April 03, 2021 Rachael Riley - The Fayetteville Observer

More than 2,000 military boots are needed for the annual Run, Honor, Remember 5K and boot display in May hosted by Fort Bragg’s Survivor Outreach Services Office, post officials said.

Since 2014, Fort Bragg has displayed more than 7,000 boots each year to represent service members from all branches who have died since 9/11.
A young girl reads the name of a deceased service member while visiting a boot laying memorial display at Fort Bragg, N.C., May 19, 2019. . (U.S. Army photo by Pfc. Hubert D. Delany III / 22nd Mobile Public Affairs Detachment)

The need this year is greater than in the past because more than 4,000 boots were thrown away after being damaged by mold over the years, Watson said.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/04/we-are-in-desperate-need-of-u-s-military-boots-fort-bragg-seeks-boots-for-memorial/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
‘We are in desperate need of U.S. military boots’: Fort Bragg seeks boots for memorial

A collection of boots, each with the photo of a fallen service member, at memorial display at Fort Bragg, N.C., May 19, 2019. (U.S. Army photo by Pfc. Hubert D. Delany III / 22nd Mobile Public Affairs Detachment)
April 03, 2021 Rachael Riley - The Fayetteville Observer

More than 2,000 military boots are needed for the annual Run, Honor, Remember 5K and boot display in May hosted by Fort Bragg’s Survivor Outreach Services Office, post officials said.

Since 2014, Fort Bragg has displayed more than 7,000 boots each year to represent service members from all branches who have died since 9/11.

.C., MA young girl reads the name of a deceased service member while visiting a boot laying memorial display at Fort Bragg, Nay 19, 2019. . (U.S. Army photo by Pfc. Hubert D. Delany III / 22nd Mobile Public Affairs Detachment)

The need this year is greater than in the past because more than 4,000 boots were thrown away after being damaged by mold over the years, Watson said.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/04/we-are-in-desperate-need-of-u-s-military-boots-fort-bragg-seeks-boots-for-memorial/

@rangerrebew

That's just wrong. The footwear on display should match the footwear worn by the service branch the man or woman served it.

Yeah,this IS a big deal. Most military men and women in the US military wear shoes,not boots,and it is disrespectful to them to not let the display reflect this.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Very distasteful in my opinion.
The last thing soldiers training and deploying from Ft. Bragg want to see is a mountain of boots representing dead soldiers.
I know it is a reality of military service, but you don't have to rub my nose in it.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Very distasteful in my opinion.
The last thing soldiers training and deploying from Ft. Bragg want to see is a mountain of boots representing dead soldiers.
I know it is a reality of military service, but you don't have to rub my nose in it.

@240B

It's hard to walk around Bragg and not bump into some sort of memorial. I see them as mostly positive because they reinforce WHY you are wearing a uniform,and recognize the sacrifices many must make

I DO object to nothing but boots being on display when more than half the US Military doesn't wear them. The implication being of course that soldiers,ESPECIALLY the Airborne soldiers of the 82nd Abn fight and win all the wars.

Let's have some shoes that reflect what the typical USAF,USN,and USCG people wear while on duty to pay THEM the honor they deserve.

As a former paratrooper myself I understand and share the concept that it is the Army that wins the wars and the Airborne that lead the way,but that doesn't mean it's true.

Give someone else a little recognition. They died on duty the same as us,and they have family that still misses them,just like the families of the airborne infantry soldiers miss them.

"US" means ALL of us,including the non-combatants because EVERYBODY contributes to the whole.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
It's just me.
Having travelled the world, I have been to many various 'camp' memorials, from Communists to Fascists to POW to others.
When I see massive piles of shoes, boots, glasses, and other belongings, it conjures up very unpleasant feelings.
Again, this applies to me based on my life experiences. It does not apply to everybody.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It's just me.
Having travelled the world, I have been to many various 'camp' memorials, from Communists to Fascists to POW to others.
When I see massive piles of shoes, boots, glasses, and other belongings, it conjures up very unpleasant feelings.
Again, this applies to me based on my life experiences. It does not apply to everybody.

@240B

It's all about context. If you go to the Bone Pile in Cambodia or to Auschwitz it will tend to "flavor" your viewpoint when you see something like a bunch of boots.

If it doesn't,it should have.