Author Topic: Texas elections bill approved by House committee, stoking concerns from disability advocates  (Read 173 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
KXAN by: Billy Gates 4/8/2021

Texas elections bill approved by House committee, stoking concerns from disability advocates

A bill that changes how Texas administers its elections continues to roll through the Legislature Thursday with its passing through the House Elections Committee.

The committee passed the bill, House Bill 6, Thursday and it will move to the House floor for consideration.

The bill would provide additional protections to poll watchers — limiting an election judge’s ability to expel them from a polling location — and prohibit government officials from sending unsolicited mail-in ballot applications to voters. People assisting disabled voters with their ballot would have to provide identification and a reason for helping the voter if the proposal is approved. Additionally, voters with disabilities would have to prove they can’t get to the polls to qualify for a mail-in ballot.

Its companion bill, Senate Bill 7, would do away with ballot drop boxes and would ban most drive-thru voting. Republicans feel these are bills that will renew trust in the voting system, though the Texas Secretary of State’s elections office said the 2020 election was “smooth and secure.”

More: https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politics/texas-elections-bill-approved-by-house-committee-stoking-concerns-from-disability-advocates/

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
No amount of law will fix anything if there is no one willing to enforce it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien