Author Topic: Texas Big Freeze: New Reports Show Clear Need For Policymakers To Act  (Read 369 times)

Offline thackney

Texas Big Freeze: New Reports Show Clear Need For Policymakers To Act
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidblackmon/2021/04/07/texas-big-freeze-new-reports-show-clear-need-for-policymakers-to-act/?sh=2392763c3b80
Apr 7, 2021

A set of recent reports related to February’s “big freeze” in Texas point up the pressing need for policymakers to act decisively to mandate key fixes in the state’s power grid. The reports also provide support for innovative proposals for emergency power generating capacity, like the one suggested by Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway in March.

The first report, issued last week by the Houston Chronicle, finds that the actual number of Texas deaths directly attributable to the weather event and resulting power blackouts that impacted millions is almost double the official state tally. The Chronicle finds that almost 200 Texans died as a result of the freezing weather, ranking February’s freeze among the worst natural Texas natural disasters since the Great Galveston Hurricane killed 8,000 in 1900.

A second new report, from the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), the manager of the Texas electricity grid, finds that 54% of the power outages that led to massive blackouts during the arctic freeze were the result of “weather-related issues” at power plants. Contrary to the ongoing narrative being pushed by Texas power generators and many in the news media, the report further finds that just 12% of the outages were caused by a lack of fuel, such as natural gas.

“The fuel limitation number is less than what legislative testimony and press coverage led me to expect,” said Pat Wood, the former chairman of the Texas Public Utility Commission. "It looks to me the largest category is a (power) plant weatherization issue. That's got to be addressed.”...

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Texas Big Freeze: New Reports Show Clear Need For Policymakers To Act
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 02:34:53 am »
I would most decidedly steer clear of what Berkshire Hathaway is proposing.

What it offers is not a public service but to make money.  It knows little about energy.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 01:41:51 pm »
I would most decidedly steer clear of what Berkshire Hathaway is proposing.

What it offers is not a public service but to make money.  It knows little about energy.

I mostly agree.  They do know a little about energy, but most of it is how to make money investing in energy.

I was lead E&I engineer of the Kern River Nat Gas pipeline (Wyoming to Bakersfield) expansion when they took it over as MidAmerican Energy.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 12:43:50 am »
I mostly agree.  They do know a little about energy, but most of it is how to make money investing in energy.

I was lead E&I engineer of the Kern River Nat Gas pipeline (Wyoming to Bakersfield) expansion when they took it over as MidAmerican Energy.
BH strikes me with this proposal similar to what the infamous Enron was doing way back when in energy investments.

Manipulation to make money for themselves.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 01:24:06 am »
BH strikes me with this proposal similar to what the infamous Enron was doing way back when in energy investments.

Manipulation to make money for themselves.

Yep, it would be a bad deal for the rest of us.

Online corbe

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 02:40:57 am »
   Everyone of these alphabet organizations got b1tch slapped in 2011 with the last hard freeze and it was papered over then as it will be this time, Abbott can't prevent this. 
   Ann Richards started us on this path and no Governor since (Bush, Perry) has taken over and put a stop to this $hit.
   Texas needs to get it's own Electric Grid (1 of 3 in USA ) in Order, pronto, so we can secede from this CF, less painfully.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 05:23:00 pm »
   Everyone of these alphabet organizations got b1tch slapped in 2011 with the last hard freeze and it was papered over then as it will be this time, Abbott can't prevent this. 
   Ann Richards started us on this path and no Governor since (Bush, Perry) has taken over and put a stop to this $hit.
   Texas needs to get it's own Electric Grid (1 of 3 in USA ) in Order, pronto, so we can secede from this CF, less painfully.

It has gone on even longer.  We had the same problems in 1989 before deregulation of the grid.