Author Topic: Shell threatens to leave US trade groups over climate disagreements  (Read 761 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by Paul Takahashi 4/8/2021

European oil major Royal Dutch Shell on Wednesday urged U.S. oil and gas trade groups to take stronger positions in the fight against climate change under the threat of leaving them.

The Netherlands-based oil major took aim at the American Petroleum Institute, the Texas Oil & Gas Association and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, pushing them to support and advocate for climate policies in line with the Paris climate agreement. The 2015 agreement aims to limit the rise in the average global temperature to 1.5 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels.

Shell’s move reassessing its trade group memberships comes as the European oil giant moves from its longtime fossil fuels business to meet its goal of achieving net-zero emissions by 2050.

“We must be confident that our participation in industry associations is consistent with our views on climate action,” Van Beurden said. “Our memberships should strengthen and not undermine our support of the goal of the Paris Agreement and the global drive to achieve net-zero emissions.”

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Shell-warns-U-S-trade-groups-it-may-leave-over-16084555.php

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Shell threatens to leave US trade groups over climate disagreements
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 09:47:20 pm »
Over my years of dealing with the prima donnas of Shell, this is due to

1. Utmost arrogance as they believe themselves the smartest in the room.  Think Obama's smug face.

2. It stated years ago a radical climate change policy upon which it now operates.  Spending the many billions for stupid enviro-wacko things such as excessive CO2 sequestering which adds up to 25% to the cost of a project like Gorgon LNG project, makes Shell less competitive compared to its peers.  Solution is to force EVERYONE to add the same costs so Shell gets back in the game.

Shell is a haughty and stupid company that needs to be humbled.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 09:54:56 pm »
Over my years of dealing with the prima donnas of Shell, this is due to

1. Utmost arrogance as they believe themselves the smartest in the room.  Think Obama's smug face.

2. It stated years ago a radical climate change policy upon which it now operates.  Spending the many billions for stupid enviro-wacko things such as excessive CO2 sequestering which adds up to 25% to the cost of a project like Gorgon LNG project, makes Shell less competitive compared to its peers.  Solution is to force EVERYONE to add the same costs so Shell gets back in the game.

Shell is a haughty and stupid company that needs to be humbled.

I worked for Shell the first 10 years of my career.  Could not agree more about them.
James 1:20

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 10:03:03 pm »
I worked for Shell the first 10 years of my career.  Could not agree more about them.

So do I. During my working life, I worked in many places with people from many companies. The only ones I had trouble getting along with worked for Shell. 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 02:03:56 am »
So do I. During my working life, I worked in many places with people from many companies. The only ones I had trouble getting along with worked for Shell.
I would suggest that BP is close to them in being arrogant, a close second.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 02:09:12 am »
Shell is/was a dynamite company, with quality technical personnel sprinkled throughout.

I have always believed it has the potential to be the best of all oil companies, if it were not for the superiority aspect of its management.

That attitude I experienced is so bad I have unconsciously relegated the entire country of The Netherlands to be similar to Shell.

That is wrong of me and I have regretted it .

Offline Idiot

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 03:50:30 pm »
Shell is/was a dynamite company, with quality technical personnel sprinkled throughout.

I have always believed it has the potential to be the best of all oil companies, if it were not for the superiority aspect of its management.

That attitude I experienced is so bad I have unconsciously relegated the entire country of The Netherlands to be similar to Shell.

That is wrong of me and I have regretted it .
Not to worry as most oil companies will cease to exist if Biden gets his way.

Our company was talking about potentially losing the ability to write off drilling costs that Biden is proposing.  I'm pretty confident that this would likely be the end of us.  The guy is insane!

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 10:11:56 pm »
why would people buy over-priced Shell gasoline when Arco has the same stuff for twenty cents less a gallon?

Always mystified me.   

And since there's damn little evidence that human activity affects global climate, why should anyone care?
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 10:19:35 pm »
why would people buy over-priced Shell gasoline when Arco has the same stuff for twenty cents less a gallon?

During the 10 years I worked for Shell, when we seriously asked ourselves why customers would buy our chemicals rather than competitors', the answer was usually some variant of "because..........we're SHELL."
James 1:20

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 06:17:03 pm »

Always mystified me.   

And since there's damn little evidence that human activity affects global climate, why should anyone care?

I have been on the design and construction team for several truck loading terminals.  These facilities receive gasoline and diesel from the pipeline, store it in tanks, and then load onto trucks to delivery to retail gasoline station.

They all blend the same gasoline into the tank and then into the trucks.  The only difference is a little squirt of additives.  You either get the generic detergent and stuff for cleaning injectors, or a specific company blend.  The actual gasoline is the same stuff regardless of the brand or no-name generic.

You have to be close enough to specific refineries in an area like Houston, Texas to reliably get gasoline direct from a refinery, and still the same is typically done.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 06:17:59 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 12:44:55 am »
I have been on the design and construction team for several truck loading terminals.  These facilities receive gasoline and diesel from the pipeline, store it in tanks, and then load onto trucks to delivery to retail gasoline station.

They all blend the same gasoline into the tank and then into the trucks.  The only difference is a little squirt of additives.  You either get the generic detergent and stuff for cleaning injectors, or a specific company blend.  The actual gasoline is the same stuff regardless of the brand or no-name generic.

You have to be close enough to specific refineries in an area like Houston, Texas to reliably get gasoline direct from a refinery, and still the same is typically done.
I also know that happens.

It is why even working at two of the Seven Sisters I bought competitors' cheaper gasoline and squirted a little Lucas fuel additive to achieve like results.