Author Topic: Haaland meets with Utah politicians, tribes as Biden weighs monument changes  (Read 156 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Haaland meets with Utah politicians, tribes as Biden weighs monument changes
By Rachel Frazin - 04/08/21 06:02 PM EDT

Interior Secretary Deb Haaland met with Utah politicians, tribal leaders and other stakeholders on Wednesday and Thursday as President Biden weighs whether to change the boundaries of two monuments that were shrunk by President Trump.

“I spent time on the land, I looked at pictographs, vistas that take your breath away,” Haaland said during a press conference on Thursday on her trip to the Bears Ears National Monument in southeastern Utah.

“I’m meeting with as many people as possible: tribal leaders, the governor, senators, Congress members, hearing from local folks, county commissioners later on today, local ranchers and the mining industry….the outdoor recreation folks, small business owners, conservation organizations, and, of course, the scientists,” Haaland said.

On her trip, ahead of a report that she will send to Biden, she’s also expected to visit the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument in southern Utah.

Then-President Trump shrunk the size of the Obama- and Clinton-designated monuments by some 2 million acres, and reopened an East Coast marine monument to commercial fishing.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/547260-haaland-meets-with-utah-politicians-tribes-while-biden-weighs
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34