Author Topic: The US Military Is an Extremism Incubator  (Read 253 times)

rangerrebew

The US Military Is an Extremism Incubator
« on: April 08, 2021, 11:06:32 am »
The US Military Is an Extremism Incubator
Many of the January 6 insurrectionists once fought for their country. That shouldn’t come as a surprise.
By Nan Levinson
Yesterday 5:00 am

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article originally appeared at TomDispatch.com. To stay on top of important articles like these, sign up to receive the latest updates from TomDispatch.

It was around noon and I was texting a friend about who-knows-what when I added, almost as an afterthought: “tho they seem to be invading the Capitol at the mo.” I wasn’t faintly as blasé as that may sound on January 6, especially when it became ever clearer who “they” were and what they were doing. Five people would die due to that assault on the Capitol, including a police officer, and two more would commit suicide in the wake of the event. One hundred forty police would be wounded (lost eye, heart attack, cracked ribs, smashed spinal disks, concussions), and the collateral damage would be hard even to tote up.

I’m not particularly sentimental about anyone-can-grow-up-to-be-president and all that—in 2017, anyone did—but damn! This was democracy under actual, not rhetorical, attack.

https://www.thenation.com/article/society/capitol-insurrection-military-2/

rangerrebew

Re: The US Military Is an Extremism Incubator
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 11:30:37 am »
This is, of course, and attack on the white, right wingers and their supposed violence.  If the author was to take a closer, honest look at the situation, it is the left that is more violent and deadly.  The implication is there has been no violence by ex-military members on the left.  But if the military "incubates" extremism, then the left is where most of the violent ex-military claim as home.  The capitol attack had some right violence,  but mostly the violence was led by the left pretending to be conservatives.  Cities where left wing "patriots" rioted had goodly portions of those cities destroyed by "freedom fighters" who mostly made life worse for the poor.  The  military, under Gen. Austin has become more racist than it ever was and actually has witch hunts for the right, but consider the left as "freedom fighters," justified in it's violence for freedom as saintly, not responsible for the murders perpetrated against innocent people.  You have to know as a result, the military instead of a military of "one" (borrowing from the Army) has, and will get worse, to a party of people running around reporting everything about everyone.    Instead of a military where everyone works together and acts as a whole has become a military style copied from the Russians and ineffective.