Author Topic: SpaceX to keep Starlink pricing simple, exit beta when network is “reliable”  (Read 989 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
ARS Technica by Jon Brodkin - 4/7/2021

"We're going to try to keep [pricing] as simple and transparent as possible."

The Starlink broadband network will probably stick with one price instead of offering different tiers of service, SpaceX president and COO Gwynne Shotwell said yesterday.

"I don't think we're going to do tiered pricing to consumers. We're going to try to keep it as simple as possible and transparent as possible, so right now there are no plans to tier for consumers," Shotwell said, according to a CNBC article. Shotwell spoke during a panel discussion at the Satellite 2021 conference.

SpaceX has been charging $99 a month for the Starlink beta service, plus $499 upfront for the user terminal/satellite dish, mounting tripod, and router. Other satellite and terrestrial broadband services typically charge different prices for different speeds, and many of them impose a data cap and charge extra fees to those who exceed the limit.

Even if SpaceX has just one price for most customers, it will probably offer a cheaper plan to people with low incomes. SpaceX is seeking an "Eligible Telecommunications Carrier" designation that would let it get reimbursement from the FCC's Lifeline program for offering discounts on telecom service to people with low incomes. In its application, SpaceX told the FCC that it "will provide Lifeline to qualifying low-income consumers and publicize the availability of Lifeline service in a manner reasonably designed to reach those likely to qualify for the service."

More: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/04/spacex-to-keep-starlink-pricing-simple-exit-beta-when-network-is-reliable/

Online roamer_1

I am dreadfully torn about this.

I am not such a tech head that shiny things attract me... But this thing DOES.

Mostly for camp. How cool would it be to have broadband at camp... Especially for cell over WIFI... Shoot, I could be sitting all the way the hell out in Spotted Bear And STILL get phone calls and texts, be able to DL maps and sat images, or heck, if it's raining, sit in the doghouse and watch a movie.

If the dish were not so bulky I would have done it by now. Seriously.
And I will likely have to have it eventually out at the cabin... But it will run fine on two solar panels, which I already have planned for the truck and it would be just plain awesome FWIW.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Portable Starlink ‘Mini’ gets a nod of acknowledgement from Elon Musk

https://www.teslarati.com/starlink-mini-elon-musk-update/

@roamer_1

SpaceX’s satellite internet service, Starlink, may be released in a more portable form in the future, as per recent Twitter comments from SpaceX CEO Elon Musk. During a recent conversation on the social media platform, Musk acknowledged that the idea of a Starlink “Mini” that’s designed around portability would be a good idea.

The idea of a Starlink “Mini” was suggested by spaceflight photographer John Kraus, who suggested that a small sub-1-foot dish, self-contained router, and rechargeable battery would be a viable product. The photographer’s suggestions are valid, as portable satellite internet access would most likely be a game-changer for those who are frequently mobile, such as travelers and photographers.

Sounds like a good idea

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) February 25, 2021

Online roamer_1

Portable Starlink ‘Mini’ gets a nod of acknowledgement

It's  almost like they are in my head.  happy77 :beer:

Thx