Author Topic: If we can't repeal the 17th Amendment, this might be a worthwhile approach  (Read 294 times)

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
https://tennesseestar.com/2021/04/07/bill-proposes-granting-legislature-power-not-statewide-political-parties-to-select-u-s-senate-candidates/

A proposal in the Tennessee State Legislature to give the General Assembly, not political parties, the sole authority to nominate candidates for Tennessee's United States Senators.  The rationale is that directly-elected Senators have become completely remote from the state governments they were supposed to represent, but the 17th Amendment requires their direct election; nomination by the legislature would re-attach the Senator to the state government.  The bill's sponsor cites some interesting experience in support of the idea.

Certainly this will not pass but it's a good example of state governments considering ways to re-assert themselves.  I'm proud that my home state is the first to suggest it.
James 1:20

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
While I approve the spirit of the bill, that would mean merely that the GOP wouldn't have to spend money on electing Senators from NY and CA.

And since the GOP exists merely to collect money and run Rodent-Lite candidates, they would mostly like the idea of cutting out those pesky serfs from getting in their way.

The problem is that in one-party rule, based on massive election fraud like today, it just doesn't matter who the nominees are and how they campaign.  The party knows the election outcome in advance.

Let's put it another way.

The Party in Utah drafted Romney to be the Third Senator from Massachusetts.   The voters were stupid enough to go along with the idea.   The problem is with the stupid voters as much as it is with the corrupt political classes.

But the purpose of the Senate was to represent the states.   The people lost faith in that process and the states themselves threw away their representation in the Senate.  The movie "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" demonstrated how the states used to select their senators...by corrupt back room dealings.   So they replaced that process with direct elections of senators, eliminating the states' voice in the federal government and creating a monster with two Houses of Commons, which has also not worked.

Clearly it's not the process of selecting the Senators that has failed, but the process of tarring and feathering them when they misbehave that needs amending.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline bilo

It's a great proposal because it educates people about how the govt was supposed to function. The direct election of Senators was just one of many steps by progressives to transform the Republic into a democracy.

Senators are supposed to represent their States's interests not their political party.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Hmmmm...

This seems to combine the old "problem" with State Legislatures choosing Senators (cronyism) and the current "problem" of the Senate being a glorified House of Representatives (mob rule).

Looks to me like it's the worst of both worlds.   Cronies pick the candidates the mobs can then vote for.  It has a certain "Soviet" flavor....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
Looks to me like it's the worst of both worlds.   Cronies pick the candidates the mobs can then vote for.  It has a certain "Soviet" flavor....

@Cyber Liberty

The idea is definitely sub-optimal, but in reality all Constitutional ideas and principles are sub-optimal.  The Constitution is only as perfect as the people entrusted with carrying it out.  So back to that quote from Adams about a moral and religious people.......

The original design was for the cronies to be represented in the National Legislature; that they are cronies does not negate the desirability of their being represented, any more than the the mob being the mob makes its representation undesirable.  So long as the 17th Amendment corrupts the original, and in my opinion better, design, anything that puts US Senators on the hook to their respective *State* governments is a step in the right direction.

Reasonable people can differ.
James 1:20

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

The idea is definitely sub-optimal, but in reality all Constitutional ideas and principles are sub-optimal.  The Constitution is only as perfect as the people entrusted with carrying it out.  So back to that quote from Adams about a moral and religious people.......

The original design was for the cronies to be represented in the National Legislature; that they are cronies does not negate the desirability of their being represented, any more than the the mob being the mob makes its representation undesirable.  So long as the 17th Amendment corrupts the original, and in my opinion better, design, anything that puts US Senators on the hook to their respective *State* governments is a step in the right direction.

Reasonable people can differ.

It's better than what we have now, so it has that going for it.  333cleo 333cleo
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Don't know that it's better.

Do know that it can't be worse.   How the hell did someone as stupid as Camel's Butt become a US Senatorette from California?

Oh.

By blowing Willy's Brown.

That's the ONLY reason.   She was effectively appointed by the legislature.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
An Article V convention of states is the answer to repealing the 17th.  It's the remedy to a lot of what we're seeing happen in DC right now.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!