Author Topic: Self-Defense Revolvers: Are They A Good Choice?  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Self-Defense Revolvers: Are They A Good Choice?
« on: April 06, 2021, 12:09:10 pm »
American Rifleman  by B. Gil Horman - 4/1/2021

Semi-automatic pistols seem to be firmly entrenched as king in the defensive handgun market these days. They certainly do dominate, especially as the number of models designed for comfortable concealment continues to grow. Some folks may go so far as to say the defensive revolver has gone the way of the Dodo, but that would be an incorrect assumption. Wheelguns continue to have a quiet but loyal following among modern handgun owners—and for good reasons.

At the top of the list of reasons for recommending revolvers for personal protection is their simplicity of operation. In a self-defense situation, fine motor skills, memory and the ability to focus can go right out the window. Modern double-action revolvers lack the buttons and levers that can get in the way of bringing a handgun into action. Take aim and pull the trigger to fire, that's all there is to it.

Also, malfunction drills developed for handguns over the years were worked out for semi-autos, not revolvers. This is because the reliable function of a semi-auto is significantly influenced by ammunition selection. The action of the pistol is cycled by the energy released from a fired cartridge. If the pressure levels are not high enough, the pistol can jam. If the dimensions of the cartridge are off a bit, then the gun can fail to eject or have a spent case catch in the ejection port. If the cartridge is faulty, and does not fire, then the gun has to be cycled manually to resolve the problem. Semi-autos are also susceptible to "limp wristing," which is a jam induced by the shooter having too weak of a grip when firing the pistol.

Revolvers, on the other hand, do not rely on ammunition to operate the mechanism. Ammunition pressure levels are irrelevant for the most part, so a revolver can operate with a wide variety of mild, moderate and hot loads. This gives the added bonus of being able to change ammunition to suit a shooter's needs, such as boosting penetration for dangerous animals or reducing power for those who are sensitive to recoil. In some situations it may be useful to mix the types and power levels of cartridges loaded in your handgun. This is not a problem with a wheelgun.

More: https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2021/4/1/self-defense-revolvers-are-they-a-good-choice

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Self-Defense Revolvers: Are They A Good Choice?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 01:51:36 pm »
Are you kidding me??????

They are THE original "point and click device".

Semi-autos are handy tools for very experienced shooters,but I NEVER recommend anything BUT a revolver for self-defense for new shooters.

Revolvers are a hell of a lot safer for newbies to own and carry,too. Newbies are ALWAYS fooling around with semi-autos,trying to remember if they left a round in the chamber or not,if the safety is on or not,etc,etc,etc.

Most,in a panic situation,will end up pulling the trigger on an empty chamber because they were afraid to leave a round in the chamber because it might go off and hurt them or a family member.

The ones that don't,almost inevitably end up having accidential discharges from doing ignorant stuff like taking the magazine out thinking it is unloaded because they forgot they chambered a round. Yes,some semi-autos DO have magazine disconnect that doesn't allow them to fire without the magazine being firmly inserted,but not all of them.

Once again,THINK REVOLVER.

BTW,I have a couple of VERY accurate and reliable 1911A1's in 45ACP that are tackdrivers,but for day to day use,I carry my 5 shot single-action only 44 Special with the 3 inch barrel.

I don't even carry any reloads for it because by the time I shoot it 5 times there will be loaded guns laying around on the ground their owners no longer have any use for.

After all,if you get confronted and threatened on the street,it ain't going to be the most recent incarnation of the Symbolize Liberation Army. It will be a couple of ignorant thug fools with guns that were stolen that they have probably never even shot.

Same thing with home invaders.

These people are NOT professional hit men who have spent a lot of time at the range or who have been in gunfights were the other side fires back. They are thugs and fools , and are more likely to dump a load in their pants than to charge at you while aiming and shooting.

Drop the first one or two coming at you ,and the rest will hear their mamas calling them home for lunch.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 01:53:01 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 01:56:06 pm »
Short answer:  "Yes!"
Long answer:  "Yes, please!"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 02:07:58 pm »
Another advantage of a revolver is that if you're in a situation where you and the dirt bag are tussling and you manage to get to your gun to shoot him...you can have the revolver right up against the perps body and it will fire...with a semi auto you try and pull of what is basically a contact shot and you run the risk of the bad buys body pushing the slide slightly backwards and taking it out of battery.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 02:12:55 pm »
Another advantage of a revolver is that if you're in a situation where you and the dirt bag are tussling and you manage to get to your gun to shoot him...you can have the revolver right up against the perps body and it will fire...with a semi auto you try and pull of what is basically a contact shot and you run the risk of the bad buys body pushing the slide slightly backwards and taking it out of battery.

That sounds like what happened to George Zimmerman.  The muzzle was tight to Trayvon Martin's chest, and that interfered with the action, jamming the weapon.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 02:19:42 pm »
On a revolver, if it hasn't been cocked, a hand gripping the cylinder, to prevent it from rotating, will prevent the revolver from firing.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 02:24:25 pm »
That sounds like what happened to George Zimmerman.  The muzzle was tight to Trayvon Martin's chest, and that interfered with the action, jamming the weapon.

Honor Defense makes a 9mm with a small extension on the front called IIRC the FIST and it prevents the slide from getting pushed back in up close shooting situations.  But they've been the only ones that I know of to do that with their pistols.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 02:27:27 pm »
On a revolver, if it hasn't been cocked, a hand gripping the cylinder, to prevent it from rotating, will prevent the revolver from firing.

@Elderberry

Interesting theory,which totally ignores the leverage your finger has on the trigger,and the effects of adrenaline.

Granted,your attacker will also have the adrenaline pumping,but this is all theory.

The same effect can be had if you attacker grabs the slide and puts your auto-loader out of battery.

I suppose this MIGHT have happened in real-life,but the only times I know of were in fictional books or movies.

And......,there really is no excuse for allowing your attacker to get that close. If you aren't willing to shoot,you shouldn't be carrying a gun to start with.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 02:48:21 pm »

Is that like sticking a finger in the muzzle?
I will NOT comply.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 02:58:22 pm »
Is that like sticking a finger in the muzzle?

Sure! On one of these:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 03:01:54 pm »
                        Sure! On one of these:

888high58888
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 02:12:44 am »
Wife carries one (snub nose 38 special). I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it past 10 yards, but I wouldn't want to be the person I was aiming at, at that range.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 02:53:26 am »
Good point!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 02:57:04 am »
Wife carries one (snub nose 38 special). I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it past 10 yards, but I wouldn't want to be the person I was aiming at, at that range.

I just love my 3" bbl. Chief's Special. I could regularly hit an oil can with it out to 75 yds. My eyes just ain't that good anymore.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2021, 01:40:01 pm »

@Sighlass

I don't see that as a deal-killer. They are not intended to be long range weapons,and if an attacker is more than 10 yards from you,he or she is not much of a threat.

MY philosophy is to let them get close enough you can't miss. Saves ammo as well as stress.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2021, 01:44:44 pm »
I just love my 3" bbl. Chief's Special. I could regularly hit an oil can with it out to 75 yds. My eyes just ain't that good anymore.

@Elderberry

In MY opinion the big thing with a snubby,other than quality,of course,is bullet selection. You MUST try several different bullet designs and charges in it to find out which is the most accurate.

It also helps if you forget all  about that "magnum power" BullBush and focus entirely on heavy flat-nosed SOFT LEAD bullets like wad cutters. Forget all about "magnum power" and "hollowpoints". You aren't going to get enough velocity out of a snubby for them to be issues. Focus on reasonable accuracy and maximum impact instead.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2021, 01:50:55 pm »
@Elderberry

In MY opinion the big thing with a snubby,other than quality,of course,is bullet selection. You MUST try several different bullet designs and charges in it to find out which is the most accurate.

It also helps if you forget all  about that "magnum power" BullBush and focus entirely on heavy flat-nosed SOFT LEAD bullets like wad cutters. Forget all about "magnum power" and "hollowpoints". You aren't going to get enough velocity out of a snubby for them to be issues. Focus on reasonable accuracy and maximum impact instead.

Believe it or not, the best bullets accuracy wise I've used in my .38 spcl with a 2 inch barrel are some 148gr wadcutters.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 01:53:36 pm »
Believe it or not, the best bullets accuracy wise I've used in my .38 spcl with a 2 inch barrel are some 148gr wadcutters.

@txradioguy

Since that is MY choice for 38 Special snubbies,I have a hard time arguing with it. The softer the better.

I shoot 200 grain bullets in my 44 Special with the 3 inch barrel. Not being a sporting man by nature,I no longer own a 38 snubby.

I hope no one gets the wrong message from the above.

A 38 snubby in your pocket beats the HELL out of the full-auto AK you have hidden at home in your closet.

Preferably one that is double-action only and has no hammer spur or rear sights to snag on something when you need it the most.

Yes,you CAN bob the hammer spur on a double action piece,but being the cautious type when it comes to self-defense,I STRONGLY recommend you have a competent gunsmith "smooth up" your action inside to made sure there is no drag because a bobbed hammer WILL NOT hit the primer as hard as a hammer that hasn't been bobbed and is heavier.

This is,generally-speaking,not a big problem because it would be a rare event for a bobbed hammer to not hit a primer hard enough to detonate it,but you don't really want to be the exception that proves the rule,do you?

Besides,a smooth action makes it a LOT easier to hit what you are shooting . Just make damn sure he or she understands you do NOT want any lighter or bobbed springs,and ALL the smoothness comes from stoning and hand fitting. I am as serious as a heart attack about this one.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 02:04:10 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 02:16:52 pm »

I absolutely believe it. I've shot thousands of the Speer 148 gr hbwc bullets.

The other bullet I shot thousands of was the lyman 358429  170gr Keith

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 05:11:37 pm »
I absolutely believe it. I've shot thousands of the Speer 148 gr hbwc bullets.

I always loaded mine backwards. I was/am more interested in shock and expansion that accuracy with self-defense loads.

Also,I always loaded them over some pretty stiff "Unique" powder loads,and was a little concerned with over-penetration at living room distances.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2021, 05:15:41 pm »
I loaded most all of mine for target practice with only 3.2 gr of Bullseye.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2021, 05:15:58 pm »
A few years ago I bought a whole mess of .38 wadcutters that were on sale.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2021, 05:18:18 pm »
A few years ago I bought a whole mess of .38 wadcutters that were on sale.   :shrug:

@Cyber Liberty

Me,too. I operate on the theory that if it doesn't eat anything and there is no danger of it spoiling,buy it in bulk when the price is right and you can spare the expense.

I probably still have a couple of boxes left unopened in storage.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2021, 06:31:38 pm »
Never owned a revolver and it's very likely that I never will.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2021, 06:32:30 pm »
Never owned a revolver and it's very likely that I never will.

@Bigun

OK.