Author Topic: Trees just might be racist, Portland, Oregon Board of Education Director worries  (Read 632 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Thinker by Thomas Lifson 4/5/2021

But in the “anti-racism” hysteria that has gripped education and other segments of society, because trees were once used for lynching, they now are worrisome symbols that might offend… somebody. Somebody with a very low IQ, it seems to me. I’m so old that I remember when environmental extremists were derisively called “tree huggers,” a term which now must be held by some in positions of authority to be vaguely racist.  Consider this absurd worry from the Portland School Board, via the New York Post:

A Portland high school delayed a vote to change its mascot to an evergreen tree over concerns about its potential ties to lynching, a report said.

Ida B. Wells-Barnett High School — named after the prominent black activist and reporter who documented lynching — was set to vote on the new mascot last Tuesday until a board director shared community concerns over the tree’s imagery, the Portland Tribune reported.

“I’m wondering if there was any concern with the imagery there, in using a tree … as our
    mascot?” Portland Public Schools Board of Education Director Michelle DePass asked at the meeting.

More: https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2021/04/trees_just_might_be_racist_portland_oregon_board_of_education_director_worries.html

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
They're thinking of having a PLANT as a mascot?

It makes sense, I guess, considering what the schools in Oregon produce.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

rangerrebew

Trees Are Now Racist: Portland School Delays Vote On ‘Evergreen’ Mascot – Making a tree a mascot a concern because black Americans were once hanged using trees

By: Admin - Climate DepotApril 5, 2021 2:24 PM

https://www.dailywire.com/news/trees-are-now-racist-portland-school-delays-vote-on-evergreen-mascot-over-fears-people-may-link-it-to-lynching

Trees Are Now Racist: Portland School Delays Vote On ‘Evergreen’ Mascot Over Fears People May Link It To Lynching
The Daily Wire / by Ashe Schow / 36min
Schools are now so fearful of racism allegations that making a tree a mascot is considered a concern because black Americans were once hanged using trees.

In Portland, Oregon, Ida B. Wells-Barnett High School has delayed a vote to adopt an evergreen tree as its mascot because some fear such a mascot would be reminiscent of lynching, the Portland Tribune reported. The school’s current mascot is the Trojans but was set to be changed to evergreens following the suggestion from a committee “comprised of students, staff and community members,” the outlet reported.

“But just before the Portland Public Schools Board of Education’s vote to approve the new mascot Tuesday, March 30, Director Michelle DePass shared community concerns of an unwanted correlation between Ida B. Wells—the historic Black activist, and Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist who documented and crusaded against lynching—and a tree which could conjure up reminders of hanging people with ropes from branches,” the Tribune reported.

https://www.climatedepot.com/2021/04/05/trees-are-now-racist-portland-school-delays-vote-on-evergreen-mascot-making-a-tree-a-mascot-a-concern-because-black-americans-were-once-hanged-using-trees/

Offline verga

Lord, please let the pendulum start to swing in the other direction, SOON!
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

I know several White Oaks that are racist.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline PeteS in CA

I know several White Oaks that are racist.

Don't mix them with black walnuts, Asian pears, or Japanese maples!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ironhorsedriver

Just when I thought the Libs couldn't get any more ridiculous, and this is the people who control education. This country is going to Hell in a handbasket quick.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Do any of the players in this stupid game know that conifers make lousy "hanging trees?"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline PeteS in CA

Stanford's "mascot" is a Redwood tree. Is that racist? Cultural appropriation?

Normal people need to get into the habit of telling people spouting this kind of nonsense, "That's stupid! Shut up and sit down!"
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline dfwgator

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
They're thinking of having a PLANT as a mascot?

It makes sense, I guess, considering what the schools in Oregon produce.

@Sled Dog

The same thought occurred to me as I read it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Do any of the players in this stupid game know that conifers make lousy "hanging trees?"

@Cyber Liberty

These are people that have made careers out of knowing nothing and suspecting anything.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline verga

Listen, you better stop spewing facts, you are just going to confuse the libtards.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline LegalAmerican

American Thinker by Thomas Lifson 4/5/2021

But in the “anti-racism” hysteria that has gripped education and other segments of society, because trees were once used for lynching, they now are worrisome symbols that might offend… somebody. Somebody with a very low IQ, it seems to me. I’m so old that I remember when environmental extremists were derisively called “tree huggers,” a term which now must be held by some in positions of authority to be vaguely racist.  Consider this absurd worry from the Portland School Board, via the New York Post:

A Portland high school delayed a vote to change its mascot to an evergreen tree over concerns about its potential ties to lynching, a report said.

Ida B. Wells-Barnett High School — named after the prominent black activist and reporter who documented lynching — was set to vote on the new mascot last Tuesday until a board director shared community concerns over the tree’s imagery, the Portland Tribune reported.

“I’m wondering if there was any concern with the imagery there, in using a tree … as our
    mascot?” Portland Public Schools Board of Education Director Michelle DePass asked at the meeting.

More: https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2021/04/trees_just_might_be_racist_portland_oregon_board_of_education_director_worries.html

Oh my gosh, I was thinking about green leaves,  brown bark, inside whitish core.  I was trying to understand the racist thing.  We get paper and toilet paper from TREES.  CABINETS.  These people are certifiable.  One black congress woman said, TOMMY THE TRAIN WAS RACIST.  White smoke.  Then I was thinking about white clouds, snowflakes.  If one is always looking to make something 'racist'..you will succeed.  THIS IS A MENTAL DISORDER.  White people were hung, too, using trees.  Wild, wild, west?  Then anyone white, supporting the black race, was hung.  I am so done with this "racist shyt", and academia and government won't stop it.   

Offline verga

Oh my gosh, I was thinking about green leaves,  brown bark, inside whitish core.  I was trying to understand the racist thing.  We get paper and toilet paper from TREES.  CABINETS.  These people are certifiable.  One black congress woman said, TOMMY THE TRAIN WAS RACIST.  White smoke.  Then I was thinking about white clouds, snowflakes.  If one is always looking to make something 'racist'..you will succeed.  THIS IS A MENTAL DISORDER.  White people were hung, too, using trees.  Wild, wild, west?  Then anyone white, supporting the black race, was hung.  I am so done with this "racist shyt", and academia and government won't stop it.
There once were twin brothers. Sam was always looking on the bright side, trying to see the good in everything. Roy on the other hand was a complete pessimist, according to him everything would end in disaster. On their birthday The parents gave Roy a pony, and Sam a load of manure to see how they would react. As you would expect roy began to complain that the horse would get sick, had to be fed, brushed, cleaned up after etc. When they checked on Sam he was happy as a clam covered head to toe in manue, holding a shovel. When asked why he was smiling he responded: "with all this manue, there has just go to be a pony here somewhere.