Author Topic: Haaland to create unit to investigate missing and murdered Native Americans  (Read 486 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Haaland to create unit to investigate missing and murdered Native Americans
By Zack Budryk - 04/01/21 07:37 PM EDT

Interior Secretary Deb Haaland, the U.S.’ first Indigenous cabinet secretary, will create a unit within the Bureau of Indian Affairs to investigate missing and murdered Native Americans, the department announced Thursday evening.

There are some 1,500 American Indian and Alaska natives in the National Crime Information Center’s database of missing persons, while about 2,700 murders and nonnegligent homicides have been reported to the federal Uniform Crime Reporting program.

Native American women in particular are the victims of murder at over 10 times the national average, according to the Coalition to Stop Violence Against Native Women. Homicides are the number-three cause of death for American Indian and Alaska Native women 10-24, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/546102-haaland-to-create-unit-to-investigate-missing-and-murdered-native
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Is that the responsibility of the Interior Department? I mean, aren't there already a few zillion police agencies available?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

Is that the responsibility of the Interior Department? I mean, aren't there already a few zillion police agencies available?

They're talking Rez. And yeah Dept of Interior has jurisdiction on reservations, I do believe...

Which is a whole lot of the problem... They should be treated under uniform law, as a county roughly, or a state, with jurisdictional concerns to be sure, but a part of the totality of LEOs in this country. But they are a different thing.

I don't know if you had the chance to watch the Longmire series - but the interrelation between county and res is fairly well portrayed in that.

And i speak against my own self in that - because if it was proper, I also would not be able to buy cheap tobacco and illegal fireworks anymore.  :shrug: **nononono* :whistle:

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
Defunding/disbanding police across the land, but increasing law enforcement on reservations?  If concern over murders is the reasons, Chicago and New York need their law enforcements tripled !  Guess when that is likely to happen with police hating democrats?
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline PeteS in CA

Missing data points:

* These stats span how many years?

* How many of these disappearances happened on reservations and how many outside of reservations?

* Of those whose perps are known or strongly suspected, what are the ethnic origins proportions?

This smacks of lying-by-omission and race-baiting.

How in Hades does the Department of Interior have criminal investigative power? Especially crimes not committed on Federal lands? Is the FBI too busy ginning up fauxny crimes with which to charge political conservatives to investigate real crimes? Assuming the FBI even has jurisdiction?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline mountaineer

I did a summer legal internship with the DOI many years ago. Our only involvement in criminal matters was prosecuting people who got too drunk at a nearby federal recreation area.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org