Author Topic: Economically Destructive Cap and Trade for HFCs is Here  (Read 614 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Economically Destructive Cap and Trade for HFCs is Here
« on: March 28, 2021, 01:20:31 am »
The Post & Email by David Wojick 3/27/2021

"CLIMATE CRAZINESS PERSONIFIED"

This is a bit complicated so bear with me. To begin with, Biden’s avalanche of climate scare executive orders included one telling the State Department to prepare the Kigali Amendment to the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer for submission to the Senate, for ratification.

The Kigali Amendment has nothing to do with ozone depletion (a fanciful tale in itself), quite the contrary in fact. The 1987 Montreal Protocol mandated the phase out of CFCs, the primary refrigerant and aerosol propellant at the time. CFCs were globally replaced with HFCs, at great expense and bother.

The 2015 Kigali Amendment now mandates the phase out of HFCs. I am not making this up.

HFCs do not threaten the ozone layer, so they have nothing to do with the Montreal Protocol. But the Protocol community decided to do what is called “mission creep”. They crept over to global warming, where HFCs are considered a problem. They have what is called a high “global warming potential” or GWP, so they too have to go.

Reportedly Obama and Kerry played a big role in creeping the Protocol, but they never submitted it for Senate ratification, knowing it would never get past the Republicans.

But now, to steal a great line: A funny thing happened on the way to the Senate.

Remember the giant Omnibus Appropriations Act passed in February? It funded the federal government and the Covid stimulus to the tune of $2.3 trillion. It also, as usual, included some riders that probably could not pass by themselves.

Well on page 1074 we find the “American Innovation and Manufacturing Act” or AIM. Incredibly, AIM includes the entire Kigali Amendment. (Still not making it up.) Not by name, mind you, but all the HFC phaseout rules and time table, pretty much word for word. I wonder if the Senators that voted for this addition to the Omnibus knew they were letting Kigali in the back door?

More: https://www.thepostemail.com/2021/03/27/economically-destructive-cap-and-trade-for-hfcs-is-here/

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Economically Destructive Cap and Trade for HFCs is Here
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 01:31:37 am »
There goes the price of refrigerant.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 01:44:29 am »
Is this one of those hyperinflation things?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 01:50:48 am »
Is this one of those hyperinflation things?
Remember how the price of R12 skyrocketed before it was pulled off the market?

If HFC refrigerants are outlawed, new air conditioners and refrigerators will need to be redesigned to the replacement refrigerants and you won't be able to get HFCs to recharge existing units.

I sure hope it don't come to pass.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 01:57:10 am »
Remember how the price of R12 skyrocketed before it was pulled off the market?

If HFC refrigerants are outlawed, new air conditioners and refrigerators will need to be redesigned to the replacement refrigerants and you won't be able to get HFCs to recharge existing units.

I sure hope it don't come to pass.

Yeah. Like a lot of other things. Done for everything and everyone's good.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 02:03:38 am »
Why over 35,000 households need to switch to newer refrigerators

Rwanda Leading Daily By Michel Nkurunziza: March 23, 2021

https://www.newtimes.co.rw/business/why-over-35000-households-need-switch-newer-refrigerators

Experts and dealers in cooling appliances have said that thousands of consumers ought to switch to energy-efficient and climate-friendly refrigerators and air conditioners to help Rwanda implement Amendment to cut production of Hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) that are said to be powerful climate-warming gases.

The 2016 Kigali Amendment to the Montreal Protocol which entered into force in 2019 is an international treaty designed to phase out such powerful climate-warming gases by more than 80 percent in the next 30 years.

Once phased out, the gases could reduce 0.5 degrees Celsius of global warming.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 02:40:53 am »
Washington What You Ought to Know: Legislators are throwing up competing messages

tax Law Gazette 3/27/2021

http://taxlawgazette.com/washington-what-you-ought-to-know-legislators-are-throwing-up-competing-messages/

Administration on track to meet Kigali climate deadline: The Biden government continues its commitment to seek ratification by the Senate of a 2016 international agreement to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The State Department is well on its way to finalizing its work by March 28 on a “transmission package” for the White House, spokesman Larry Pixa said earlier this month. Biden’s executive order of Jan. 27 instructed the State Department within 60 days to prepare the documents to seek advice and Senate approval to ratify the 1987 Kigali amendment to the Montreal Protocol. The Kigali Amendment is a five-year-old international agreement to reduce fluorocarbons (HFCs), chemicals in air conditioning and refrigeration equipment that are contributing to climate change. Read more from Kellie Lunney.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 05:39:54 am »
There goes the price of refrigerant.
Again! I was taking HVAC classes, even got my universal license, my instructor had been in the  business for forty years and one of the first things he told us was that the HFC causing the Ozone hole was crap. They started with the ban on R-12 but that was only the beginning, there has been an on going schedule of banning all the refrigerants that work the best and substituting other less efficient gasses which coincidently obsoletes all sorts of refrigeration and AC units. Works out pretty darn well for manufacturers.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 03:23:00 pm »
Looks like every time we save the environment, the price of saving causes the price of something to skyrocket.  It's like we are being played for fools, and fools just don't get it until they see the actual price tags that stagger the imagination.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 04:21:12 pm »
I had thought the ban on R12 was due to the fact that its patent was running out. I still have 1 can of R12 left. I went a long time making my own R12 replacement out of a mix of R600a and R290. Just in case, I put an order in for more R134A.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 03:24:31 am »
Crazy HFC Phaseout is Coming (Part 2)

The Post & Email by David Wojick 4/6/2021

https://www.thepostemail.com/2021/04/06/crazy-hfc-phaseout-is-coming-part-2/

In my first article — “Economically destructive cap and trade for HFCs is here” — I looked at the Kigali Amendment part of the American Innovation and Manufacturing Act or AIM. There the big problem is that the HFC cap is based on 8-10 year old data, which is mostly missing and probably inaccurate for today.

However, AIM adds some major rules to Kigali, rules which have their own problems.

In particular AIM singles out 6 industries and applications that use a lot of HFCs for special treatment. They get what are called “mandatory allocations” of allowances. In principle this means they get all the allowances they need for certain uses, for the next five years. Whether this actually happens or not is a serious problem.

Here is a condensed and edited version of the AIM text that names these special industries and uses:

“... for the 5-year period beginning on the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator shall allocate the full quantity of allowances necessary, based on projected, current, and historical trends, for the production or consumption of a regulated HFC for the exclusive use of that HFC in an application solely for—

(aa) a propellant in metered-dose inhalers;

(bb) defense sprays;

(cc) structural composite preformed polyurethane foam for marine use and trailer use;

(dd) the etching of semiconductor material or wafers and the cleaning of chemical vapor deposition chambers within the semiconductor manufacturing sector;

(ee) mission-critical military end uses, such as armored vehicle engine and shipboard fire suppression systems and systems used in deployable and expeditionary applications; and

(ff) onboard aerospace fire suppression.“

I think (bb) defense sprays refers to things like pepper spray and bear spray. It is amusing that these and things like trailer foam are considered essential while air conditioning is not, but I digress.

EPA has two big problems here: (1) Who are these people? and (2) How much HFC do they need for the next five years? In a way these industries and uses have been nationalized because EPA gets to say how much is “necessary”.