Author Topic: Woke Colleges  (Read 281 times)

rangerrebew

Woke Colleges
« on: April 01, 2021, 04:25:28 pm »
Woke Colleges

What the woke want, the woke get.
Thu Apr 1, 2021 John Stossel

Did you take the SATs to try to get into college? Your kids may not have to.

More than 1,300 schools have become "test optional," meaning students need not submit SAT scores. Some, like the entire University of California system, now won't even look at scores.

There are seemingly legitimate reasons to oppose the tests. Richer kids often get tutoring that gives them an advantage.

Critics claim the tests are culturally biased and say that's why Blacks and Latinos don't score as well. But that doesn't explain why Asians do so well. In fact, Asians get the best SAT scores.

https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/2021/04/woke-colleges-john-stossel/

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Woke Colleges
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 05:25:43 pm »
The college application process is one of the institutions that create/worsen income inequality in this country.  It impedes upward mobility opportunities for urban, suburban, and rural poor.

All you need to apply to college is disposable income and free time.  The SAT/ACT prep course costs money, takes time.  The SAT/ACT exams cost money.  The actual application to each college costs money.  Visiting campus requires time and money. Scholarships cover tuition, but not books, room and board, and "fees".  The financial aid applications can be manipulated by creative accounting that richer people can afford.

If we are to have an egalitarian college application process, the first tests and the first several college applications should be freely available to all.

Financial aid is a different morass that requires a more creative solution.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline thackney

Re: Woke Colleges
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 05:37:27 pm »
...Scholarships cover tuition, but not books, room and board, and "fees"....

Some cover parts or even all.  Full ride scholarships are hard to get but do exist.  I knew a few that even covered all with spending money left over.  Most scholarships require the amount to be paid to the school, but even then schools can cut a check for other expenses.  My daughters both received scholarships that was just a check in their name.

the first tests and the first several college applications should be freely available to all.

And paid by who?  Tax payers?  Raise the cost of college to cover the costs of those that do not attend?  The push to pay for college costs over costs to attend trade schools has never made sense to me.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 05:40:33 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer