Author Topic: Biden Administration Announces Major Offshore Wind Expansion Plan  (Read 1494 times)

Offline thackney

Biden Administration Announces Major Offshore Wind Expansion Plan
https://gcaptain.com/biden-administration-announces-major-offshore-wind-expansion-plan/
March 29, 2021

he Biden administration is outlining ambitions to dramatically boost offshore wind power in the U.S. by 2030, pushing to drive construction of projects at sea capable of generating enough electricity for more than 10 million American homes.

Top administration officials unveiled the new goal in a Monday meeting with state officials, executives and labor leaders, as part of President Joe Biden’s push to counter climate change, promote renewable energy and strip the electric grid of greenhouse gas emissions by 2035. As part of the push, federal regulators took steps to advance the sale of offshore wind farm rights in Atlantic waters south of New York’s Long Island.

The wind energy initiative dovetails with the administration’s work on a new U.S. carbon-cutting pledge aligned with efforts to keep average global temperatures from rising more than 1.5 degrees Celsius from pre-industrial levels.

“President Biden believes we have an enormous opportunity in front of us,” National Climate Adviser Gina McCarthy said in a Monday statement. “Nowhere is the scale of that opportunity clearer than for offshore wind.”

The target of deploying 30 gigawatts of offshore wind power generation capacity in nine years would require developers to install thousands of turbines capable of generating hundreds of times more power than the two small existing installations in state and federal waters today....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: Biden Administration Announces Major Offshore Wind Expansion Plan
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 05:05:03 pm »
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/03/29/fact-sheet-biden-administration-jumpstarts-offshore-wind-energy-projects-to-create-jobs/

Today, the Administration is taking coordinated steps to support rapid offshore wind deployment and job creation:

Advance ambitious wind energy projects to create good-paying, union jobs

Investing in American infrastructure to strengthen the domestic supply chain and deploy offshore wind energy

Supporting critical research and development and data-sharing.

...Announcing a New Wind Energy Area. The Interior Department’s Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) is announcing a new priority Wind Energy Area in the New York Bight—an area of shallow waters between Long Island and the New Jersey coast—which a recent study from Wood Mackenzie shows can support up to 25,000 development and construction jobs from 2022 to 2030, as well as an additional 7,000 jobs in communities supported by this development. ...

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 05:07:21 pm »
https://www.boem.gov/renewable-energy/state-activities/new-york-bight

The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) has identified nearly 800,000 acres as Wind Energy Areas (WEAs) in the New York Bight, between Long Island and the New Jersey coast. The agency will now initiate an environmental review, with public input, on these areas in federal waters for potential offshore wind leasing.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 08:11:33 pm »
No economics justification, just another liberal wet dream to enrich supporters and screw American citizens.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 08:49:48 pm »
I can't think of any energy source that costs more than offshore wind.  Even nuclear plants are more cost-effective.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 09:07:36 pm »
Smart thinking by the envirowhackos.  Easy  to conceal dead birds at sea.

Wonder how many will also become wind and water driven projectiles with a Cat 4 or 5 hurricane.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 09:13:47 pm »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 10:25:04 am »
Smart thinking by the envirowhackos.  Easy  to conceal dead birds at sea.

Wonder how many will also become wind and water driven projectiles with a Cat 4 or 5 hurricane.
Didn't you know they are friends of the sea birds?

After all, they call them all "chum".
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 12:51:48 pm »
Didn't you know they are friends of the sea birds?

After all, they call them all "chum".

Another good point you've brought up.  Wonder how those divers who may have to do sub surface wind turbine shaft maintenance are going to like the sharks there who enjoy a daily diet of Sea Gulls, Terns, Comerants, etc. etc.   
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 01:05:40 pm »
Another good point you've brought up.  Wonder how those divers who may have to do sub surface wind turbine shaft maintenance are going to like the sharks there who enjoy a daily diet of Sea Gulls, Terns, Comerants, etc. etc.

It will not be sub-surface for anything associated with the turbine.  Just structural steel and the connecting cables below the water.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 01:09:11 pm »
It will not be sub-surface for anything associated with the turbine.  Just structural steel and the connecting cables below the water.

Pfff....  lol...read again.  I said wind turbine SHAFT maintenance.  Uness you are thinking nothing will be managed subsurface.   :silly:

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 01:38:07 pm »
Pfff....  lol...read again.  I said wind turbine SHAFT maintenance.  Uness you are thinking nothing will be managed subsurface.   :silly:

The wind turbine shaft will be entirely above the water.

Only structural steel and cables below the waters.

Shafts are inside the nacelle.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 01:40:50 pm by thackney »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 01:44:46 pm »
The wind turbine shaft will be entirely above the water.

Only structural steel and cables below the waters.

Shafts are inside the nacelle.

I considered the shaft the structure holding the turbine structure.  Terminology difference. My comment still stands, unless these devices somehow are kept out of salty corrosive sea water.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2021, 01:56:27 pm »
What's the environmental impact on endangered Northern Atlantic Right Whales? And albatross? And commercical navigation?  And fisheries during construction?  Economic impact to navigation and fishing?  Why are the people against offshore fossil fuel development think that offshore windfarms will not cause environmental harm, as well?  If only there were sand pipers offshore, this would be dead already.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 02:16:46 pm »
What's the environmental impact on endangered Northern Atlantic Right Whales? And albatross? And commercical navigation?  And fisheries during construction?  Economic impact to navigation and fishing?  Why are the people against offshore fossil fuel development think that offshore windfarms will not cause environmental harm, as well?  If only there were sand pipers offshore, this would be dead already.

Various estimates show that somewhere between 500,000 and 1,200,000 birds are killed in the United States annually by land based versions of this monstrosity. It's the dirty secret the envirowhackos are keeping this supressed as much as possible.

To give an idea, of the magnitude of the impact, my son's old girl friend was offered a biology job, and her one function was to collect, ID, and catalog dead birds around turbines..  Unlikely they had to be reported, but it was enough of job to keep her busy 40 hours a week.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 02:21:39 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline thackney

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 02:18:32 pm »
I considered the shaft the structure holding the turbine structure.  Terminology difference. My comment still stands, unless these devices somehow are kept out of salty corrosive sea water.

Just like for oil/gas platforms, there are many types but none called a shaft.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 02:21:01 pm »
Just like for oil/gas platforms, there are many types but none called a shaft.

Sub surface stucture support work okay with you? Andi am guessing these will require corrosion control maintenance activities  :cool:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 02:22:14 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline thackney

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2021, 02:24:28 pm »
Sub surface stucture support work okay with you? Andi am guessing these will require corrosion control maintenance activities  :cool:

Sure, no different than oil/gas platforms.  It is not a real problem, just another cost.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 02:31:47 pm »
Sure, no different than oil/gas platforms.  It is not a real problem, just another cost.

Agreed, but with birds dropping constantly around, I am guessing these guys might be pulling more shark hazard pay than on a rig.

Offline thackney

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 03:34:45 pm »
Agreed, but with birds dropping constantly around, I am guessing these guys might be pulling more shark hazard pay than on a rig.

Those guys working from an oil/gas rig have more hazards above the water line.

But the fishing should be even better around the wind turbines.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 11:57:50 pm »
No economics justification, just another liberal wet dream to enrich supporters and screw American citizens.

Religions have a way of doing that.  This is why the Framers prevented Congress from establishing religions.   The Cult of GlobalWarmingCoolingClimateChange is clearly a religion endorsed by Rodents in government.

Who gets sued when a cruise liner runs into one of these things in the fog?
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2021, 11:58:34 pm »

Because the big fans are chumming the water with dead sea-birds?
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2021, 12:00:28 am »

The Rodents want the Right Whales to go extinct.  They're trying to protect the Left Whales, like Jerry Nadler.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2021, 07:10:34 am »

IIRC, you are not allowed to fish from offshore drilling rigs.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2021, 12:33:12 pm »
IIRC, you are not allowed to fish from offshore drilling rigs.

I was thinking more of boats nearby.

https://greatdaysoutdoors.com/oil-rig-fishing-in-the-gulf/