Author Topic: Volkswagen changing its name to 'Voltswagen' as it shifts to electric cars  (Read 664 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Volkswagen changing its name to 'Voltswagen' as it shifts to electric cars

The announcement came a day after the company appeared to accidentally reveal the rebranding of its name on its website before quickly removing the press release.
By
Joseph Guzman | March 30, 2021

Story at a glance

The automaker officially announced on Tuesday it will change the name of its operations in the United States from Volkswagen of America to Voltswagen.
    “We might be changing out our K for a T, but what we aren’t changing is this brand’s commitment to making best-in-class vehicles for drivers and people everywhere,” Scott Keogh, president and CEO of Voltswagen of America, said in a statement.
    The company plans to rollout more than 70 electric vehicle models across its brands worldwide by 2029 with a goal of selling one million EVs by 2025.

Volkswagen is changing its brand name in the U.S. to “Voltswagen” as the car company makes its shift toward investments in electric vehicles.

The automaker officially announced on Tuesday it will change the name of its operations in the United States from Volkswagen of America to Voltswagen. The announcement came a day after the company appeared to accidentally reveal the rebranding of its name on its website before quickly removing the press release.

more
https://thehill.com/changing-america/sustainability/environment/545529-volkswagen-changing-its-name-to-voltswagen-as-it
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

BassWrangler

That's hilarious. I had a Volkswagen GTI, brand new, that broke. VW was unable to fix it, and they ended up buying it back. I bought a Tesla with the money I got back. I named my Tesla "Voltwagen". I guess now I need another name.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Ironic, coming from the company that cheated on diesel emissions.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

BassWrangler

Ironic, coming from the company that cheated on diesel emissions.

I haven't looked into it, but I suspect they are in horrible shape financially. The experience I had with my GTI was unreal. I mean how can you ship cars that your dealers are unable to repair? The issue turned out to be a cable with some crappy connectors. Their engineering team apparently decided to replace the connectors, but they stopped making the old ones months before the new ones were due to be available. The service manager at the dealer told me that they told him privately it might be 4-5 months before they could even ship the part to repair my car.  They have a whole department just to deal with customer compensation of the diesel-gate thing.

And icing on the cake - their new electric cars are getting panned badly in reviews. The name change seems like an act of desperation.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
I can't express how much I detest Envirowhackos. 

At least in my case, I will be driving a V8 truck the rest of my life, even if gas gets near outlawed, or if I have to pay $10/gallon.
Futhermore, the companies who hold out and keep a production line of gas/diesel vehicles will thrive.  There is going to be a mass disappointment when the faux shine of being an enviromental firendly (faux) EV owner turns into real life hassles, and repair sticker shocks.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

At least in my case, I will be driving a V8 truck the rest of my life, even if gas gets near outlawed, or if I have to pay $10/gallon.
Futhermore, the companies who hold out and keep a production line of gas/diesel vehicles will thrive.  There is going to be a mass disappointment when the faux shine of being an enviromental firendly (faux) EV owner turns into real life hassles, and repair sticker shocks.

Similar with me but I won't rule out a good V6.  My wife's 3.5L twin turbo V6 truck has more torque of my 6.2L V8.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 02:29:31 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Similar with me but I won't rule out a good V6.  My wife's 3.5L twin turbo V6 truck has nearly twice the torque of my 6.2L V8.

Won't you miss the roar and snarl of a V8 while pressing the pedal?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

BassWrangler

Lots of reasons to drive an EV for non enviro-whackos. I love my Tesla Model 3. It drives like a high end sports car - in fact it will beat most of those in 0-60MPH. I never have to stop at a gas station. Ever. Almost zero maintenance. When I'm stopped somewhere, waiting, I can watch movies on the screen in the car.

Would I own it as my only car? No way. We also have an SUV. But for a car to go back and forth to work everyday, it's ideal.

Offline thackney

Won't you miss the roar and snarl of a V8 while pressing the pedal?

My wife's leaps when I press the pedal flat starting from 60 mph to pass someone.  Mine winds up but nothing like hers.  I look forward to inheriting it in another year or so to make my daily driver.

I will keep my F250 for the larger towing capacity as an occasional farm truck, but her 9,000 lbs takes care of almost anything we typically do.

BassWrangler

My wife's leaps when I press the pedal flat starting from 60 mph to pass someone.  Mine winds up but nothing like hers.  I look forward to inheriting it in another year or so to make my daily driver.

I will keep my F250 for the larger towing capacity as an occasional farm truck, but her 9,000 lbs takes care of almost anything we typically do.

When accelerating hard in my Tesla it makes a turbine-like whine (not as loud, but same sound) that is very satisfying. Now grant you - it's not nearly as satisfying as some ICE vehicles. I remember a Triumph 3-cylinder motorcycle that I rode once - amazing sound.

Online DefiantMassRINO

What's the dollar cost of the kilowatt hours of electricity used to charge the car?
What's the trasmission cost of electricity used to charge the car, in dollars?
What % of generated electricity is lost during transmission?
What's the generation cost of electricity used to charge the car in dollars, BTU's/therms, carbon footprint, and greenhouse gasses?
How much will the US generation capacity need to be increaseed, and how much will need to be invested in trasmission and storage to meet the increased need?

The electricity needed to charge electric vehicles has a cost.  The EV-heads haven't been calculating nor measuring it.  EV's make them good, and that's all the proof they need.

Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline thackney

When accelerating hard in my Tesla it makes a turbine-like whine (not as loud, but same sound) that is very satisfying. Now grant you - it's not nearly as satisfying as some ICE vehicles. I remember a Triumph 3-cylinder motorcycle that I rode once - amazing sound.

For speed and torque, EV are impressive, for the first few hundred miles.  My needs are too often greater.  I know it works for others.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Lots of reasons to drive an EV for non enviro-whackos. I love my Tesla Model 3. It drives like a high end sports car - in fact it will beat most of those in 0-60MPH. I never have to stop at a gas station. Ever. Almost zero maintenance. When I'm stopped somewhere, waiting, I can watch movies on the screen in the car.

Would I own it as my only car? No way. We also have an SUV. But for a car to go back and forth to work everyday, it's ideal.

It's your $$ and you are entitled to spend it as you choose but you better have lost of it on hand when the battery pack in that thing goes kaput.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

What's the dollar cost of the kilowatt hours of electricity used to charge the car?

Typically between 8~18¢ depending on your state and including taxes.

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/state/

What's the trasmission cost of electricity used to charge the car, in dollars?

Included in the price above.  Nobody breaks it down for the retail level.

What % of generated electricity is lost during transmission?

Typically 6% but varies by region.  It used to run 7~9% but has gotten better with more high voltage lines and higher efficiency transformers over the decades.

https://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/data/flow-graphs/electricity.php

What's the generation cost of electricity used to charge the car in dollars, BTU's/therms, carbon footprint, and greenhouse gasses?

Generation cost is also included above and not broken down at the retail level.  BTU's/therm?  That ratio is energy over energy?  Carbon and greenhouse are enviroweenies concerns but gasoline/diesel are not any better.

How much will the US generation capacity need to be increaseed, and how much will need to be invested in trasmission and storage to meet the increased need?

This is more complicate.  When you consider most charging would happen at night, very little needs to grow and would help flatten out the load cycle and increase the utilization ratio of the electric infrastructure.

The electricity needed to charge electric vehicles has a cost.

Yes, people and business pay it in their monthly bills.

The EV-heads haven't been calculating nor measuring it.

The electric companies are sure measuring and getting paid for delivery the electricity to the chargers.  Some companies like Tesla will provide opportunities to charge for free when you buy their cars, but that is just prepaying the electric bill when you make a purchase.

EV's make them good, and that's all the proof they need.

You confuse me in that.

Online catfish1957

for the first few hundred miles.

With all the talk of government control upcoming.  How better to tame the masses than keep their movement contained to 200 miles a day.

Online catfish1957

Typically between 8~18¢ depending on your state and including taxes.

I remember finding and reading a pretty detailed report, that sadly I wish I had bookmarked.  Study and report stated that a full conversion to EV would increase GHG emissionss nation wide by about 10%,  Do you remember seeing that study or something to that effect?

Offline thackney

I remember finding and reading a pretty detailed report, that sadly I wish I had bookmarked.  Study and report stated that a full conversion to EV would increase GHG emissionss nation wide by about 10%,  Do you remember seeing that study or something to that effect?

I do not remember and I suspect it is not true.  While there would be an increase in GHG from the electric power industry, there would be a substantially larger decrease coming from the vehicles directly.

The mobile power plant of an ICE is less efficient than the larger scale power plant.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Volkswagen's 'Voltswagen' rebrand was an April Fool's joke

The company doubled-down on a name change to mark its shift to electric cars. It was a premature prank.
By
Joseph Guzman | March 31, 2021

Story at a glance

The automaker on Monday seemed to accidentally reveal a press release on its website announcing it was changing the name of its U.S. subsidiary to “Voltswagen” as a way to mark its shift toward electric cars.
    The release was swiftly deleted, but on Tuesday, Volkswagen posted it again, insisting it was legitimate and the name change was real.
    Volkswagen later fessed up and said the announcement was a marketing campaign for its new electric SUV.

more
https://thehill.com/changing-america/sustainability/environment/545741-volkswagens-voltswagen-rebrand-was-an-april-fools
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

I just bought a Jetta.  It gets nearly 50 mpg.  Not sure why they would want to retreat away from their high success at fuel efficiency.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

BassWrangler

For speed and torque, EV are impressive, for the first few hundred miles.  My needs are too often greater.  I know it works for others.

Yep, I wouldn't have one as my only vehicle for that reason. Nor would I have one if I was frequently commuting hundreds of miles. But the vast majority of the population lives close enough to their work where they are practical.

BassWrangler

Volkswagen's 'Voltswagen' rebrand was an April Fool's joke

The company doubled-down on a name change to mark its shift to electric cars. It was a premature prank.
By
Joseph Guzman | March 31, 2021

Story at a glance

The automaker on Monday seemed to accidentally reveal a press release on its website announcing it was changing the name of its U.S. subsidiary to “Voltswagen” as a way to mark its shift toward electric cars.
    The release was swiftly deleted, but on Tuesday, Volkswagen posted it again, insisting it was legitimate and the name change was real.
    Volkswagen later fessed up and said the announcement was a marketing campaign for its new electric SUV.

more
https://thehill.com/changing-america/sustainability/environment/545741-volkswagens-voltswagen-rebrand-was-an-april-fools

Ok, that's good to know. I can keep my car name  :tongue2:

BassWrangler

I just bought a Jetta.  It gets nearly 50 mpg.  Not sure why they would want to retreat away from their high success at fuel efficiency.

While VW was attempting to fix my car (this went on for months), they gave me a Jetta as a loaner. Nice little car.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
catfish wrote:
"I will be driving a V8 truck the rest of my life, even if gas gets near outlawed, or if I have to pay $10/gallon."

Will you still be fillin' it up when diesel costs $48 per gallon?

Don't laugh. If the communists/greenunists get their way, it could easily get that high...