Author Topic: Congress looks to rein in Biden's war powers  (Read 174 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Congress looks to rein in Biden's war powers
« on: March 30, 2021, 01:01:05 pm »
Congress looks to rein in Biden's war powers
By Jordain Carney - 03/30/21 06:00 AM EDT

Congress is wading into a messy fight over President Biden’s war powers after years of ceding authority to the White House.

The legislative effort is blurring political lines by testing the balance of power between two branches of government and creating strange bedfellows, with hawkish Republicans who disagree with Biden’s policies wary of attempts to limit presidential authority on the issue.

Proponents of change are hoping Biden’s ascendancy, after serving for decades in Congress, and shifts in public opinion in the decades since earlier military authorizations by lawmakers will provide a boost of momentum after years of stalemate.

“I think we’re overdue. ...We are so far past the scope of what any member serving in '01 or '02 imagined,” said Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.), who serves in Biden’s old Senate seat. “I think it’s important that we take this up, debate it and pass something.”

Congress is looking at three previous authorizations for the use of military force (AUMFs): the 1991 measure for the Gulf War, the 2001 bill passed days after the 9/11 terrorist attacks and 2002 legislation passed for the Iraq War.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/545485-congress-looks-to-rein-in-bidens-war-powers
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Re: Congress looks to rein in Biden's war powers
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 06:26:39 pm »
The Senate should filibuster any bill that limits the President's powers.

The Rodents put their meat puppet on the stage, let him act.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.