Author Topic: CDC director warns of 'impending doom' on potential new COVID-19 surge  (Read 866 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
CDC director warns of 'impending doom' on potential new COVID-19 surge
By Nathaniel Weixel - 03/29/21 11:33 AM EDT

The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Monday warned of "impending doom" over rising coronavirus cases, telling the public that even though vaccines are being rolled out quickly, a fourth surge could happen if people don't start taking precautions.

"I'm going to lose the script, and I'm going to reflect on the recurring feeling I have of impending doom. We have so much to look forward to so much promise and potential of where we are, and so much reason for hope. But right now I'm scared," CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said during a White House briefing Monday.

"We do not have the luxury of inaction," Walensky added.

Walensky's warning comes a day after the United States surpassed 30 million cases of COVID-19, and cases are continuing to increase.

According to Walensky, the seven day average of new cases is around 60,000 cases per day, a 10 percent increase over the past week. The numbers are still a far cry from the peak in January, but the rise comes after a sustained period of stagnation.

"When we see that uptick in cases, what we have seen before is that things really have a tendency to surge, and surge big," Walensky said.

Walensky said hospitalizations have also increased over the past week, as the most recent seven day average is about 4,800 admissions per day, up from 4,600 admissions per day in the prior seven days.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/545375-cdc-director-warns-of-impending-doom-on-potential-new-covid-surge
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

According to Walensky, the seven day average of new cases is around 60,000 cases per day, a 10 percent increase over the past week.
Funny, none of the health depts in my area are reporting increases. Quite the opposite.

Any mention of impending doom with regard to the hordes of infected illegals streaming across the border, Ms. Walensky?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online libertybele

Funny, none of the health depts in my area are reporting increases. Quite the opposite.

Any mention of impending doom with regard to the hordes of infected illegals streaming across the border, Ms. Walensky?

Same here in FL.  Our numbers are going down and that's with all the tourists and spring breakers visiting. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Millee

And yet the red carpet is rolled out for thousands of un-tested illegals.

Offline Victoria33

Same here in FL.  Our numbers are going down and that's with all the tourists and spring breakers visiting.
@libertybele

It is the South African variant that will take us down again.  Right now France is looking at shutting down again - cases, including the South African variant are filling up their hospitals.  If it is in France, it will get in the UK. and it will cause another surge here.

Right now, Wales is in good shape.  Few people sick, most have their vaccine shots. Son says they can go outside anywhere, can eat outside a restaurant, but not inside.  He thinks within two weeks they can go inside stores.  They can visit people but have to stay outside.  If the South African variant gets in England, Wales will lock down again.

Online libertybele

@libertybele

It is the South African variant that will take us down again.  Right now France is looking at shutting down again - cases, including the South African variant are filling up their hospitals.  If it is in France, it will get in the UK. and it will cause another surge here.

Right now, Wales is in good shape.  Few people sick, most have their vaccine shots. Son says they can go outside anywhere, can eat outside a restaurant, but not inside.  He thinks within two weeks they can go inside stores.  They can visit people but have to stay outside.  If the South African variant gets in England, Wales will lock down again.

Says the CDC?  Says the WHO?  I trust neither one of them.  We are NEVER going to wipe out this virus, nor all of the variants that crop up, just like with the flu. So, should we shutter and lockdown forever? If that sounds absurd, it is because it is.

More harm has been done both physically and mentally by the lockdowns than by the virus itself.  Last stats I read were that 1.7% of the U.S. population has died because of COVID.  I would lay odds that the figure is much lower since many deaths have been attributed to COVID when the cause may be other then COVID.  Also, I would like to know the stats of how many people have had adverse side effects from the vaccine, who were perfectly healthy before the vaccine and how many people have actually died from the vaccine?

Absolutely I believe the virus is real and some variants worse than others. However, bottom line is the gov't IS continuing to use this to instill fear in the masses and control them.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Victoria33

@libertybele

bele, you said: "Says the CDC?  Says the WHO?  I trust neither one of them."

This came from neither of those entities, but from the one below, plus my son who told me the same thing today and he is living there.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-03-19/south-african-variant-warning-as-european-cases-rise-says-professor-neil-ferguson

Offline PeteS in CA

1. Some states - NY, NJ, MI - are seeing an upturn or surge (specifically, MI). Many  (e.g. TX, FL, CA, GA, OK, SD, ND, MT, OR) are not.

2. The vaccines from Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J - the three currently approved for use in the US - are known to be effective against the South African variant. The only vaccine out there that appears (that we know of) to be ineffective in preventing infection entirely is AstraZeneca's (whether it is effective in decreasing the severity of illness, I haven't checked). The Novavax vaccine that may soon apply for Emergency Use Authorization is also known to be effective against the South African variant.

The Russian Sputnik V vaccine? Who knows?

The Chinese Sinovac or Sinopharm vaccines? I haven't heard, but I've read that Chile is relying on Sinovac and is having a significant surge, so I suspect Sinovac may not be very effective, if at all, against some of the variants. These two vaccines use traditional weakened virus technology, unlike the others I've mentioned in this post.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

BassWrangler

Completely irresponsible of this woman to go on national TV and fearmonger like this. She should lose her job immediately. This is not how a leader behaves.

Offline Hoodat

Re: CDC director warns of 'impending doom' on potential new COVID-19 surge
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 09:43:55 pm »
But right now I'm scared," CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said during a White House briefing Monday.

Then you should step down immediately and let someone with more courage have a shot at it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 09:48:09 pm »

The South African variant?  Seriously?  So what percentage of those previously infected and fully recovered are now getting hospitalized from the South African variant?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Better question, how many people who got the vaccine will end up like the test ferrets who lost their ability to fight the actual virus and ended up dead?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2021, 10:20:58 pm »
Here's a "per week" number of new cases in my town for the past couple of months (from the spreadsheet I've been maintaining since early March last year):
Week      increase
1/22         452
1/29         305
2/5           258
2/12         205
2/19         135
2/26         169
3/5           161
3/12         147
3/15         176
3/26         249

Looks like the numbers are increasing to me.
(Smallish city in western CT)

I got the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine this afternoon...

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2021, 10:21:41 pm »
The South African variant?  Seriously?  So what percentage of those previously infected and fully recovered are now getting hospitalized from the South African variant?  Inquiring minds want to know.

I get info. about France and the UK, two times a week. The US tends to get what the UK gets.  if I get actual numbers or percentages from my source in the UK, I will give them to you.

BassWrangler

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2021, 11:20:12 pm »
I get info. about France and the UK, two times a week. The US tends to get what the UK gets.  if I get actual numbers or percentages from my source in the UK, I will give them to you.

But the UK is looking pretty good. It's the European continent that is struggling. The difference is how they've run the vaccination program.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2021, 11:30:37 pm »
I get info. about France and the UK, two times a week. ...

If you get info from the UK then you know that UK daily new cases is around 1/10 of their early January peak, and flat at that level since around March 6th, https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/ . Because daily deaths lag daily new cases, UK daily deaths lag daily new cases by 2-3 weeks. UK daily deaths peaked on January 20th, and have since plummeted to ~1/30 of that level, and may still be decreasing.

@Victoria33, declining daily new cases and declining daily deaths is what the UK has been :getting: the past 2 1/2-3 months. The US is seeing declines in those numbers as well, but not "getting" declines in the same magnitude that the UK has been "getting". But we may yet see similar magnitudes of declines.

It is true that France has seen an 80%-90 increase in daily new cases this past month, https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/france/ . But if you compare France to the US and UK, you'll see a difference that I think is significant, https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations .
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2021, 11:35:24 pm »
But the UK is looking pretty good. It's the European continent that is struggling. The difference is how they've run the vaccination program.

Maybe you already use it, but the link in my post above lets the user select or deselect the countries and regions the user wants to compare. The EU has pooed the screwch mishandling their vaccine program - delayed purchases, delayed vaccine approval, suspending use of a major source over what turned out to be a false alarm, slow distribution ... Eurolanders have done very poorly.

Offline DB

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2021, 11:46:45 pm »

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus#the-growth-rate-of-covid-19-deaths

Interesting the India is reporting very little Covid-19...

Is it because Malaria is so common there with Chloroquine being widely used?

Online libertybele

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2021, 11:48:15 pm »

Good question and observation.  I would say absolutely.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2021, 12:16:12 am »
The Hong Kong flu, also known as the 1968 flu pandemic, was a flu pandemic whose outbreak in 1968 and 1969 killed between one and four million people globally. It is among the deadliest pandemics in history, and was caused by an H3N2 strain of the influenza A virus, which is descended from H2N2.

How we handled it:

The 2009 swine flu pandemic was an influenza pandemic that lasted about 19 months, from January 2009 to August 2010, and was the second of two pandemics involving H1N1 influenza virus (the first being the 1918–1920 Spanish flu pandemic). First described in April 2009, the virus appeared to be a new strain of H1N1 that resulted from a previous triple reassortment of bird, swine, and human flu viruses and that further combined with a Eurasian pig flu virus,leading to the term "swine flu".

Some studies estimated that the actual number of cases including asymptomatic and mild cases could be 700 million to 1.4 billion people—or 11 to 21 percent of the global population of 6.8 billion at the time.

How we handled it:

Offline thackney

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2021, 11:31:37 am »
@libertybele

The South African Covid variant has been in the US for months.  It is also in the UK.

South African COVID Variant Found in U.S
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210128/south_african_covid_variant_found_in_us
Jan. 28, 2021

What are the Brazil, South Africa and UK variants and will vaccines work?
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55659820
16 March 2021

...Apart from the Brazil variant (also known as P.1), concerns focus on a few:

A UK or Kent variant (also known as B.1.1.7) now dominant in much of Britain, has spread to more than 50 countries and appears to be mutating again

A South Africa variant (B.1.351) found in at least 20 other countries, including the UK...

Online mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2021, 11:36:41 am »
It was racist to call it the China flu, but we can attach other countries' names to the "variants"? Why do I suspect the variants actually came from the same source as the original (Wuhan) virus?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline thackney

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2021, 11:49:25 am »

I suspect it is more a case of lack of testing.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2021, 01:07:32 pm »
Very irresponsible on the part of the CDC director to engage in such over the top theatrics.

But I guess it's what the panicdemic pushers have to resort to when the people aren't buying your crap anymore.

Notice how her histrionics dovetailed nicely into President Silver Alert's call to stop opening up states and to institute mask mandates again?

Gibbs Rule #39

:whistle:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2021, 02:00:10 pm »
@thackney

You posted: "A South Africa variant (B.1.351) found in at least 20 other countries, including the UK..."

I'll send you a PM about my sources for info. about the South African virus.