Author Topic: Amish community in Pennsylvania becomes first in US to achieve herd immunity...  (Read 586 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Amish community in Pennsylvania becomes first in US to achieve herd immunity after reopening churches led to 90% of households being infected with the virus last year
Daily Mail/UK. Mar 28, 2021

An Amish community in Pennsylvania has become 'the first in the US to achieve herd immunity to COVID-19' after 90 per cent of their households became infected with the virus when they resumed church services late last spring.

The administrator of a medical center in the heart of the Amish community in New Holland Borough estimates as many as 90 per cent of Plain families have since had at least one family member infected, and that this religious enclave achieved what no other community in the country has: herd immunity.

'So, you would think if COVID was as contagious as they say, it would go through like a tsunami; and it did,' said Allen Hoover, an Old Order Mennonite and administrator of the Parochial Medical Center, a clinic that primarily serves the Plain community.

Public health officials and epidemiologists did not dispute the widespread outbreak Hoover described. But they voiced concern that a misplaced perception of herd immunity in a population that makes up 8 per cent of Lancaster County may compromise the effort to turn the tide on the pandemic.

As Hoover observed, faith in herd immunity has prompted members of the Plain community to relax on key mitigation efforts such as masking and social distancing, and they may see little reason to be vaccinated.

More: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9411549/Amish-community-United-States-achieve-herd-immunity-Covid.html

Online Right_in_Virginia

I know this is 20/20 hindsight, but once hospital capacity was increased (where needed) and the PPE supply was replenished from the O'Biden years, the lockdown should have been lifted for all but the high risk segment of the population.

And therapeutics, without FDA approval, should have been permitted under the "Right to Try" law Trump signed in 2018, including Hydroxychloroquine and Zinc With Azithromycin and plasma therapy.

The whole damn world should have done this -- and we'd be walking around w/o masks and taking vaccines because we choose to, not because we need to travel for job or pleasure.

Oh, and Fauci should have been fired.

Offline libertybele

I know this is 20/20 hindsight, but once hospital capacity was increased (where needed) and the PPE supply was replenished from the O'Biden years, the lockdown should have been lifted for all but the high risk segment of the population.

And therapeutics, without FDA approval, should have been permitted under the "Right to Try" law Trump signed in 2018, including Hydroxychloroquine and Zinc With Azithromycin and plasma therapy.

The whole damn world should have done this -- and we'd be walking around w/o masks and taking vaccines because we choose to, not because we need to travel for job or pleasure.

Oh, and Fauci should have been fired.

Absolutely. Fauci needs to remain relevant to keep his job and to keep the fear instilled in people in order to control.  I go to the parks, boat launches and beaches and I can always tell who is from out of town and those that live in FL.  Those from out of town wear masks on their boats, while kayaking, riding bikes, out in the water, etc.  It's really sad. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I go to the parks, boat launches and beaches and I can always tell who is from out of town and those that live in FL.  Those from out of town wear masks on their boats, while kayaking, riding bikes, out in the water, etc.  It's really sad.

Tell me about it.  Sad that these people were feed a lie and they can't see it.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Public health officials and epidemiologists did not dispute the widespread outbreak Hoover described. But they voiced concern that a misplaced perception of herd immunity in a population that makes up 8 per cent of Lancaster County may compromise the effort to turn the tide on the pandemic.

As Hoover observed, faith in herd immunity has prompted members of the Plain community to relax on key mitigation efforts such as masking and social distancing, and they may see little reason to be vaccinated.
Of course. The crisis must be prolonged.

I'll also note that the Amish also reproduce like rabbits. Think of a society of Duggars, except without electricity. They usually become the fastest growing population wherever they show up (though that's also because they usually slip in in places like rural New York where the "English" are fleeing and leaving their land behind--and they typically keep to themselves except when business is involved). That also means a large proportion of their population is very young, especially children. So if it sweeps through the Amish communities, there's not going to be a huge wave of severe illness, and most would resist hospitalization anyway.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

So the people who have NOTHING to do with Modern Pharma are the ones coming out of it first/best?

Go figger.

Offline libertybele

So the people who have NOTHING to do with Modern Pharma are the ones coming out of it first/best?

Go figger.

Yep, go figure -- you go to the doc for xyz reason or to get your advised yearly physical and soon you find yourself with some prescribed medicine and that medicine causes a side effect which the doc corrects with yet another med.  I had a friend who they thought had fibromyalgia and they treated her with many different meds. Last time I saw her in the doctor's office she had a shoebox full of meds, still felt horrible and her feet had swollen to 3 times their size.  I then saw her about 3 months later and she had puffed up so big that I hardly recognized her.  Come to find out later on she had been misdiagnosed for years, but by that time the damage to her body by all the meds that she was on was irreversible.   She passed soon afterwards.

I am NOT a fan of doctors nor all the drugs that the FDA is supposedly passing as "safe" to use. I was prescribed drugs for years, got off of everything after my heart attack and felt much better (yes, I was on heart meds  to prevent a heart attack). I refused for very long time to get onto a statin ... but they insisted I would fare better with being on one then without.  Here I sit...on  a statin that I now can't safely get off of and feel like crap.

Yep...go figure.  Modern medicine?  I should have stuck to herbs and spices. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

Yep, go figure -- you go to the doc for xyz reason or to get your advised yearly physical and soon you find yourself with some prescribed medicine and that medicine causes a side effect which the doc corrects with yet another med.  I had a friend who they thought had fibromyalgia and they treated her with many different meds. Last time I saw her in the doctor's office she had a shoebox full of meds, still felt horrible and her feet had swollen to 3 times their size.  I then saw her about 3 months later and she had puffed up so big that I hardly recognized her.  Come to find out later on she had been misdiagnosed for years, but by that time the damage to her body by all the meds that she was on was irreversible.   She passed soon afterwards.

I am NOT a fan of doctors nor all the drugs that the FDA is supposedly passing as "safe" to use. I was prescribed drugs for years, got off of everything after my heart attack and felt much better (yes, I was on heart meds  to prevent a heart attack). I refused for very long time to get onto a statin ... but they insisted I would fare better with being on one then without.  Here I sit...on  a statin that I now can't safely get off of and feel like crap.

Yep...go figure.  Modern medicine?  I should have stuck to herbs and spices.

ME too - And I am going back. Down to 4 from 20, and two of those are over the counter. Screw them white-frocked wizards.

Offline libertybele

ME too - And I am going back. Down to 4 from 20, and two of those are over the counter. Screw them white-frocked wizards.

888high58888