Author Topic: U.S. pledges to slash solar energy costs by 60% in a decade  (Read 814 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

U.S. pledges to slash solar energy costs by 60% in a decade
« on: March 25, 2021, 04:56:44 pm »
The Biden administration on Thursday set a goal to cut the cost of solar energy by 60% over the next decade as part of an ambitious plan to decarbonize the United States’ power sector by 2035.

The U.S. Department of Energy said the goal accelerates its previous utility-scale solar cost target by five years. For the U.S. power grid to run entirely on clean energy within 15 years, a key pillar of President Joe Biden’s climate change agenda, solar energy will need to be installed as much as five times faster than it is today, DOE said.

To get there, the agency committed to spending $128 million on technologies including perovskite solar cells, which are regarded as a promising cheap alternative to the silicon cells that dominate the market. Funds will also support research on cadmium telluride and concentrating solar technologies.

Part of the funding will also seek to extend the lifetime of existing photovoltaic solar plants by improving components like inverters, cables and racks.

“This first burst of funding will help us add even more affordable clean energy to the grid, jobs to communities across the country, and will put us on the fast track toward President Biden’s goal of 100% clean electricity by 2035,” Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm said in a statement.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-solar/u-s-pledges-to-slash-solar-energy-costs-by-60-in-a-decade-idUSKBN2BH2ME

It will of course never be accomplished within the free marketplace, but on the backs of taxpayers by continually escalating subsidies.

Why is the disaster of Solyndra not mentioned?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: U.S. pledges to slash solar energy costs by 60% in a decade
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 05:39:49 pm »
It will of course never be accomplished within the free marketplace, but on the backs of taxpayers by continually escalating subsidies.

Made it bigger so people can see it more easily!  And you can add that large chunks of that public $ will be directed into the pockets of large Democrat donors.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 09:59:27 pm »
Of course, there's almost no solar manufacturing done in the US.

This is a gift to China.

Of course.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 10:13:32 pm »

This is a gift to China.

Of course.

Well, That ain't right. I am doing Solar right now, and the panels are made in Oregon I believe... The batteries (LiRon, top of the line) are made in Utah, as is the controller and inverter.

I am not 100% decided on who I am buying, But that is likely where I will go. It ain't that hard to find US made Solar - In fact, Tumpy put a tariff on foreign solar...

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 11:45:31 am »
WUWT 3/25/2021

h/t ResourceGuy; If you thought Arsenic doped Silicon or Gallium Arsenide on your roof was bad, how about solar cells made of organic Lead compounds, or Cadmium Telluride? Biden’s quest for cheaper solar is exploring some truly terrifying photovoltaic innovations.

Fri March 26, 2021

March 25 (Reuters) – The Biden administration on Thursday set a goal to cut the cost of solar energy by 60% over the next decade as part of an ambitious plan to decarbonize the United States’ power sector by 2035.

The U.S. Department of Energy said the goal accelerates its previous utility-scale solar cost target by five years. For the U.S. power grid to run entirely on clean energy within 15 years, a key pillar of President Joe Biden’s climate change agenda, solar energy will need to be installed as much as five times faster than it is today, DOE said.

To get there, the agency committed to spending $128 million on technologies including perovskite solar cells, which are regarded as a promising cheap alternative to the silicon cells that dominate the market. Funds will also support research on cadmium telluride and concentrating solar technologies.

More: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/03/25/joe-biden-pledges-to-make-solar-panels-more-environmentally-toxic/

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 11:11:33 pm »
Well, That ain't right. I am doing Solar right now, and the panels are made in Oregon I believe... The batteries (LiRon, top of the line) are made in Utah, as is the controller and inverter.

I am not 100% decided on who I am buying, But that is likely where I will go. It ain't that hard to find US made Solar - In fact, Tumpy put a tariff on foreign solar...

Speaking of excessive government spending....are you paying extra for these gadgets or are you accepting the price with it's hidden taxpayer subsidies?

The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 11:29:31 pm »
So what are they gonna do?  Force the sun to lower its cost of energizing solar panels?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 11:33:57 pm »
Solyndra Part duos trace echos?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 11:35:17 pm »
Joe Biden Pledges to Make Solar Panels More Environmentally Toxic

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,432452.msg2402294.html#msg2402294

Joe Biden Pledges to Make Solar Panels More Environmentally Toxic

h/t ResourceGuy; If you thought Arsenic doped Silicon or Gallium Arsenide on your roof was bad, how about solar cells made of organic Lead compounds, or Cadmium Telluride? Biden’s quest for cheaper solar is exploring some truly terrifying photovoltaic innovations.

Fri March 26, 2021

March 25 (Reuters) – The Biden administration on Thursday set a goal to cut the cost of solar energy by 60% over the next decade as part of an ambitious plan to decarbonize the United States’ power sector by 2035.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 12:07:54 am »
Speaking of excessive government spending....are you paying extra for these gadgets or are you accepting the price with it's hidden taxpayer subsidies?

Beats the hell out of me. All I am doing is buying solar for my cabin.

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 01:14:01 am »

This is a gift to China.

Of course.

Top 5 American solar panel manufacturers in 2020
https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/best-american-solar-panel-manufacturers
December 8, 2020

Which Solar Panels Are Made in the USA?
https://ecotality.com/which-solar-panels-are-made-in-usa/
March 16, 2021
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 01:52:42 am »
Agenda 21.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley