Author Topic: Regulator says evidence suggests Texas 'absolutely' didn't follow 2011 recommendations to winterize  (Read 514 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Regulator says evidence suggests Texas 'absolutely' didn't follow 2011 recommendations to winterize power equipment
By Rachel Frazin - 03/24/21 03:31 PM EDT

The CEO of the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) told Congress on Wednesday that evidence shows Texas “absolutely” did not follow recommendations by the organization and federal regulators in 2011 to winterize their equipment.

During a Wednesday House hearing on the failure of Texas’s electric grid during last month's winter storm, Rep. Dianna DeGette (D-Colo.) asked NERC CEO James Robb whether Texas followed the organization’s recommendations.

“The inquiry will affirm this, but the evidence would suggest absolutely not,” Robb responded, referring to an ongoing probe that the group is conducting alongside the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).

The winter storm in Texas led to days-long power outages and was linked to several deaths.

After blackouts following a cold snap in 2011, FERC and NERC put together a report that said that many power-generating companies had “failed to adequately prepare for winter.”

The report recommended that “all entities responsible for the reliability of the bulk power system in the Southwest prepare for the winter season with the same sense of urgency and priority as they prepare for the summer peak season.”

Later in Wednesday's hearing, Robb raised concerns about both the lack of legal changes and enforcement in Texas.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/544767-reliability-group-leader-says-evidence-suggests-texas-absolutely
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

No thanks, we do not need recommendations from a national group that knows zilch about Texas weather.

I looked at the bios of their Management team, and none are from Texas and highly doubtful any have lived here.

https://www.nerc.com/AboutNERC/exec/Pages/default.aspx
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

No thanks, we do not need recommendations from a national group that knows zilch about Texas weather.

I looked at the bios of their Management team, and none are from Texas and highly doubtful any have lived here.

https://www.nerc.com/AboutNERC/exec/Pages/default.aspx

Given the lack of results in improving the problems uncovered in 1989, in 2003, and in 2011 weather, our legislature and PUC certainly need someone to point out what it takes to fix this problem.  They are not getting it done on their own.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Given the lack of results in improving the problems uncovered in 1989, in 2003, and in 2011 weather, our legislature and PUC certainly need someone to point out what it takes to fix this problem.  They are not getting it done on their own.
I say otherwise.

What we do need are people with accountability we can access and replace as necessary, not some unaccountable entity from elsewhere.

The control by DC is what is negatively impacting Texas, as well as placing people in authority here in Texas who have no clue as to how to handle situations like we went through, and some who do not really care as they are not impacted as they live out of state.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

I say otherwise.

What we do need are people with accountability we can access and replace as necessary, not some unaccountable entity from elsewhere.

The control by DC is what is negatively impacting Texas, as well as placing people in authority here in Texas who have no clue as to how to handle situations like we went through, and some who do not really care as they are not impacted as they live out of state.

So who from the Texas legislature are we replacing since they did not pass the law to make the winterizing a requirement?  Nobody is holding the only people that can force this done accountable, only blaming others who do not have the authority to enforce.  And it has gone on for decades.

Offline thackney

“Power companies get exactly what they want”: How Texas repeatedly failed to protect its power grid against extreme weather
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/22/texas-power-grid-extreme-weather/

...Experts hired by the Texas Public Utility Commission, which oversees the state’s electric and water utilities, concluded that power-generating companies like Luminant had failed to understand the “critical failure points” that could cause equipment to stop working in cold weather.

In May 2014, the PUC sought changes that would require energy companies to identify and address all potential failure points, including any effects of “weather design limits.”...

...By the end of the process, the PUC agreed to soften the proposed changes. Instead of identifying all possible failure points in their equipment, power companies would need only to address any that were previously known....

...Lawmakers and regulators, including the PUC and the industry-friendly Texas Railroad Commission, which regulates the oil and gas industry, have repeatedly ignored, dismissed or watered down efforts to address weaknesses in the state’s sprawling electric grid, which is isolated from the rest of the country....

...Another federal report released three years later made similar recommendations with few results. Lawmakers also failed to pass measures over the past two decades that would have required the operator of the state’s main power grid to ensure adequate reserves to shield against blackouts, provided better representation for residential and small commercial consumers on the board that oversees that agency and allowed the state’s top emergency-planning agency to make sure power plants were adequately “hardened” against disaster....

...In the 2014 report, NERC methodically laid out how power-generating equipment failed during the cold snap, detailing 62 examples that included frozen circulating water that caused a supply loss and moisture in the air causing valves to freeze. In all, those cold-related failures were responsible for the vast majority of lost power during the event, the agency found.

The incident also highlighted the need to improve winter performance of natural gas pipelines, which NERC found hampered the ability of gas-fired power plants to generate electricity. The agency declined to comment, saying it doesn’t discuss investigations....

...legislation he filed in 2011 that would have required the PUC to ensure ERCOT maintained adequate reserve power to prevent blackouts. “Because it’s not about just holding hearings.”...

...Then, two years ago, facilities owned or controlled by utilities regulated by the PUC were exempted from legislation that requires the Texas Division of Emergency Management to “identify methods for hardening utility facilities and critical infrastructure in order to maintain essential services during disasters.”...

Offline Victoria33

@thackney

Being in Texas, I have researched what happened here.  One thing I learned from this experience, we were on a connection to police/fire department/city hall and did not lose power or water.  Being a knowledgeable prepper, I had stored water for this but have a way to always have potable water; had ways to keep warm and cook, plenty of easy cook/warm food/fast way to have coffee, and have light if power did go off.  I so wanted the thousands/millions in this area of north Texas to be prepared but I knew they were not.

What you have posted is what happened, here is my digestion of all that, plus adding human behavior into it.
1.  Normalcy Bias: It had never happened this badly in Texas in modern history, so everyone from the governor down to individual companies owning the power companies, could not imagine it happening.  It was not on their radar.  A bit more about normalcy bias.  There is a forum type group including numerous subdivisions around us and after this cold thingy, people there wanted info. to prepare for another emergency.  I offered my book in Word to them free of charge.  I sent 65 books.  No one would have wanted this book before this cold thing happened - they would think it could not happen because it had not before in their lifetime.

2.  My reading showed me the various power companies could not imagine they needed to winterize ALL their connections in this state which they had never done.  Water companies were the same; they never had to winterize pipes carrying water before.  Actually, this makes No. 2, Number 1 - Normalcy Bias again.

Governor Abbott thought the various agencies responsible for power and water were okay to get through this - he did not know how bad it would get - neither did those agencies.  I know Abbott as he was our Attorney General when I was in Texas politics.  Was with him numerous times.  He has a good heart and remember he has been in a wheelchair since his college days (a tree fell on him) - he knows about pain and losing the ability to walk.  He has compassion for people in trouble.

A governor should not have to check with every electric company, every water company, to determine if they can function in cold weather.  There were agencies to do this and you can bet from now on, Texas utilities will be run correctly, preparing for the worst in summer and winter.

Abbott is a gun guy who goes hunting, in his wheel chair.  He has been a fine governor, but I fear because of the virus shutting down Texas, and this cold disaster, he will not be elected again.

So who from the Texas legislature are we replacing since they did not pass the law to make the winterizing a requirement?  Nobody is holding the only people that can force this done accountable, only blaming others who do not have the authority to enforce.  And it has gone on for decades.
We have already done away with several at Ercot and the PUC members.  Did either entity emphatically demand the legislature write this law?  Go look at their past board minutes.

No, they were spending their time concentrating on making Texas into a renewable monstrosity.  That was their priority, even though RELIABILITY is in the name of Ercot, not renewables.

The necessary changes are taking place as we speak, without any interference by the federal goverrnment or outside agencies who would NEVER have accountability if this disaster was made under their watch.

@thackney

Being in Texas, I have researched what happened here.  One thing I learned from this experience, we were on a connection to police/fire department/city hall and did not lose power or water.  Being a knowledgeable prepper, I had stored water for this but have a way to always have potable water; had ways to keep warm and cook, plenty of easy cook/warm food/fast way to have coffee, and have light if power did go off.  I so wanted the thousands/millions in this area of north Texas to be prepared but I knew they were not.

What you have posted is what happened, here is my digestion of all that, plus adding human behavior into it.
1.  Normalcy Bias: It had never happened this badly in Texas in modern history, so everyone from the governor down to individual companies owning the power companies, could not imagine it happening.  It was not on their radar.  A bit more about normalcy bias.  There is a forum type group including numerous subdivisions around us and after this cold thingy, people there wanted info. to prepare for another emergency.  I offered my book in Word to them free of charge.  I sent 65 books.  No one would have wanted this book before this cold thing happened - they would think it could not happen because it had not before in their lifetime.

2.  My reading showed me the various power companies could not imagine they needed to winterize ALL their connections in this state which they had never done.  Water companies were the same; they never had to winterize pipes carrying water before.  Actually, this makes No. 2, Number 1 - Normalcy Bias again.

Governor Abbott thought the various agencies responsible for power and water were okay to get through this - he did not know how bad it would get - neither did those agencies.  I know Abbott as he was our Attorney General when I was in Texas politics.  Was with him numerous times.  He has a good heart and remember he has been in a wheelchair since his college days (a tree fell on him) - he knows about pain and losing the ability to walk.  He has compassion for people in trouble.

A governor should not have to check with every electric company, every water company, to determine if they can function in cold weather.  There were agencies to do this and you can bet from now on, Texas utilities will be run correctly, preparing for the worst in summer and winter.

Abbott is a gun guy who goes hunting, in his wheel chair.  He has been a fine governor, but I fear because of the virus shutting down Texas, and this cold disaster, he will not be elected again.

Abbott hired all members of the PUC, which comprised Asst Gen Counsels lawyers and a political hack to oversee the PUC, so he has accountability of course in hiring competent people.  And those people did not effectively oversee Ercot whose job is the reliability of power supply as its members were enthralled in renewable power, which is not a priority of their charter, RELIABILITY is.

Offline thackney

We have already done away with several at Ercot and the PUC members.  Did either entity emphatically demand the legislature write this law?  Go look at their past board minutes.

No, they were spending their time concentrating on making Texas into a renewable monstrosity.  That was their priority, even though RELIABILITY is in the name of Ercot, not renewables.

The necessary changes are taking place as we speak, without any interference by the federal goverrnment or outside agencies who would NEVER have accountability if this disaster was made under their watch.

For decades, many of the power, gas and water companies have demonstrated an unwillingness to invest sufficiently to protect their systems from these extreme weather events.

the ONLY entity that can require it is the legislature.  As several times over the decades they have received the reports showing it is needed, they have refused to require it.

Shuffling the members of Ercot is never going to fix the problem they do not have the authority to fix.

For decades, many of the power, gas and water companies have demonstrated an unwillingness to invest sufficiently to protect their systems from these extreme weather events.

the ONLY entity that can require it is the legislature.  As several times over the decades they have received the reports showing it is needed, they have refused to require it.

Shuffling the members of Ercot is never going to fix the problem they do not have the authority to fix.
That is flat wrong.

Go read the Ercot and PUC minutes.  Both never placed the priority on the reliability aspects of the grid.  They were enamored with renewables.

It is the responsibility of those agencies and the governor to place in front of the legislature the need for reliability.

And they both chose not to.

And if you don't believe that shuffling of people responsible is the way to effectively change, just consider the current DOE secretary's prioirities compared to the last one.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-solar/u-s-pledges-to-slash-solar-energy-costs-by-60-in-a-decade-idUSKBN2BH2ME
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 05:12:20 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
They were enamored with renewables.

:yowsa: and I seriously doubt that will change much despite all the facts saying that it should.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

:yowsa: and I seriously doubt that will change much despite all the facts saying that it should.
Nope, and I guarantee any and all economics to use it do NOT include the loss of state revenues of lessened oil and gas royalties, taxes paid nor the loss of jobs by Texans employed in energy sectors displaced by renewables that have components that are primarily manufactured in China.

For a state government entity to favor an energy that displaces Texas jobs and state revenues is 100% idiocy.

That is what happens when out-of-touch out-of-staters and political figures are appointed in charge of oversight of state energy issues.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 06:25:14 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »