Author Topic: Lawmakers frustrated over delay in Census redistricting data  (Read 281 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Lawmakers frustrated over delay in Census redistricting data
« on: March 24, 2021, 01:42:04 pm »
Houston Chronicle by MIKE SCHNEIDER 3/23/2021

Republican senators expressed frustration Tuesday that data used for redrawing congressional and legislative districts won't be available until August at the earliest, but the U.S. Census Bureau's acting director told them the schedule was driven by a goal of releasing complete and accurate numbers.

At a hearing of the Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs Committee, Republican lawmakers told acting Census Bureau director Ron Jarmin that the delay was upending their states' redistricting plans.

The statistical agency recently said the redistricting data would be ready in an older format by August and in a more user-friendly format by September, months after the redistricting deadlines for many states. By law, the redistricting data is due by March 31, but the bureau said it needed the extra time because of delays caused by the pandemic.

“I hope you understand the negative consequences here," said U.S. Sen. Rob Portman, a Republican from Ohio, whose state sued the Census Bureau over the revised deadline. “This is really putting us back and causing tremendous problems."

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/article/Watchdog-Routes-given-to-census-takers-were-16047027.php

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Lawmakers frustrated over delay in Census redistricting data
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 11:09:00 pm »
Sumthin' tells me that the census department isn't going to be issuing this data... until it's too late to do anything about it (at least for the 2022 round of elections...)

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 07:17:02 pm »
@Elderberry
@mystery-ak
@Cyber Liberty

When census numbers come out:

County: Precinct lines will be redrawn if there are more than "X" number of people in a precinct - county commissioners redraw the lines.

State:  It is the same redrawing of lines as a County.  If there are more than "X" numbers of people in a district, the state commission redraw the lines.  In Texas, the Lt. Governor is in charge of this and did the appointing to the commission.

In Texas, one year when I was working in politics, the Republicans were in the majority in the legislature as usual, the Lt. Governor was a Republican and the Democrats did not like the way the lines were drawn, so they left Texas so it could not be voted on.  Some went to Oklahoma and some went to New Mexico.  Finally, the Texas Rangers were going to get them and bring them back, so they came back on their own.

Drawing lines in the big state of Texas takes time and they can do nothing until they get the numbers.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 08:50:05 pm »
@Elderberry
@mystery-ak
@Cyber Liberty

When census numbers come out:

County: Precinct lines will be redrawn if there are more than "X" number of people in a precinct - county commissioners redraw the lines.

State:  It is the same redrawing of lines as a County.  If there are more than "X" numbers of people in a district, the state commission redraw the lines.  In Texas, the Lt. Governor is in charge of this and did the appointing to the commission.

In Texas, one year when I was working in politics, the Republicans were in the majority in the legislature as usual, the Lt. Governor was a Republican and the Democrats did not like the way the lines were drawn, so they left Texas so it could not be voted on.  Some went to Oklahoma and some went to New Mexico.  Finally, the Texas Rangers were going to get them and bring them back, so they came back on their own.

Drawing lines in the big state of Texas takes time and they can do nothing until they get the numbers.

For the first time in history, I think the data will not be in time for the states to redistrict by the 2022 election.  This will screw over the growth states, and let NY keep all their Congressional seats.

Just like the '20 election, bureaucrats are enabling the screwing of the conservative voter in 2022.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 09:38:20 pm »
For the first time in history, I think the data will not be in time for the states to redistrict by the 2022 election.  This will screw over the growth states, and let NY keep all their Congressional seats.

Just like the '20 election, bureaucrats are enabling the screwing of the conservative voter in 2022.

Basically, the Rodent assumption will be that the people smart enough to flee CA are going to be more likely opposed to the Rodent agenda than for it, and thus the Rodents want to keep the corrupted seats in CA rather than risking seats transferred to Texas or elsewhere to the gentle caresses of a electorate furious at the Rodents for stealing the election and throwing the US back into the huge piles of Rodent shit President Trump was getting us out of.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.