Poll

AT what age did you leave your Parents House?

As soon as I could~15yo or younger
2 (6.7%)
Stayed through High School
16 (53.3%)
Stayed through College
8 (26.7%)
When my pregnant girlfriend demanded it
0 (0%)
When the cops came to pick me up~pot option
3 (10%)
I'm still there
1 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: April 22, 2021, 02:37:09 pm

Author Topic: AT what age did you leave your Parents House?  (Read 2304 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: AT what age did you leave your Parents House?
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2021, 03:57:57 am »
Still it seems they had a bit of a blind spot where human nature is concerned. A young person's need for belonging doesn't shut off at age 18.

@skeeter

How were THEY supposed to know that,when my father was forced to quit school in the 3rd grade and go to work as a laborer in a shipyard by his drunken mother,who took all his money each payday. For HIM,that was normal because it was all he knew.

As for my mother,at age 8,she and her 6 year old sister were "given" to a one-legged Civil War veteran because their parents died in the flue epidemic of 1918,and there was no such thing as a public welfare system for children back then. This was arranged by the local Ku Klux Klan,who at THAT time,was the only government working for white people. The official government were all carpetbaggers whose only concern was to steal and sell everything in sight. The deal was they were to cook,clean,and keep him company,and in exchange,he was supposed to keep them fed,housed,and sent to school each day in clothing appropriate for little girls their age. BTW,I am living on that land right now. I bought it in 1980.

My mother was basically forced to marry a disabled WW-1 vet when she was 12 or 13 because the Civil War vet died,and she and her little sister needed a place to live. He was a mean drunk,and she ended up divorcing him and marrying my father several years later.

THIS was the world they both grew up in. It was all they knew.

BTW,this sort of thing was VERY common back in the pre-Social Security days. If you were a child and your parents died,your sole source of income also died.

In the late 1800's there were passenger trains full of orphans leaving out of places like NYC to go to rural farm states so the children would have a place to live and work as farm laborers. This usually worked out for the kids because they had a place to live,plenty to eat,and grew up learning a useful trade.

Life ain't always pretty,but it is what it is.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 04:06:50 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2021, 07:36:02 am »
Lol, I am the only one to click "I'm still there".... Moved out after college like most do now days... well I lived at college but still had roots at home. I took on an old home to repair it and started dating the wife and mostly lived in the house. It was pretty rough, with limited electrical and water. Married and still had repair to do to the house, but we managed. Later, decades later mom got sick and she bought the house next to ours (sold her house) and moved where we could keep an eye on her. 10 good years and one bad year (lost mom) and suddenly we had two houses. Wife liked mom's house, we live there to this day... So I still live in mom's house basically and keep the other one for storage (or for the kids if they decide to move back home).
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2021, 11:13:34 am »
@mystery-ak
@Gefn

From the age I could make a plan, I knew I was going to a college/university.  After finishing high school, during that summer, went to a Jr. College about 15 miles from house; a school bus would pick me up in front of house and go to Kilgore, Texas where Jr. College was, then bring me home after the two classes - English and Math (Trig).  In the fall, went to a university, lived in a dorm, but came home for holidays.  I never lived full time at home after I started at the university.

Ladies, my Mother made all my clothes until I graduated high school which was in the east Texas oilfield.  Then, in summer before I left for the university, parents took me to Dallas, Texas, to Sanger-Harris department store.  We went to ladies clothing and my parents said buy anything I wanted.  I picked out numerous clothes to wear at the university - my first real "store bought" clothes.  Bought a for winter long coat, sort of a muted gold color and wore that coat for many years.

@Victoria33

I never truly thought about college, it was just something always assumed I’d go.

I hated HS, but I actually thrived at college. I learned my HS was so insular that my weirdness wasn’t appreciated but in college it was, and I had friends for the first time in my life, and real happiness.

@libertybele not having children was always a big deal and the cause of a lot of sadness in my life, but when I got to the point of my life when it was biologically impossible to have them, I was grateful I didn’t. I know this sounds terrible but I don’t have the personality or temperament to raise children without a partner, (husband) but I never found the “right” one until I was in my early forties and he was in his fifties.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2021, 05:10:25 pm »
Lol, I am the only one to click "I'm still there".... Moved out after college like most do now days... well I lived at college but still had roots at home.

College?  I thought you went to Auburn.  Where did you go to college?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2021, 08:31:32 pm »
Joined the Navy at 18, left my parents home permanently but had been in and out of their home for a number of years.
Magyar? Árpád fia köszöntés