Author Topic: Bowing To Corporate Demands For Watered-Down Bill, Gov. Kristi Noem Sells Out Women’s Sports  (Read 1375 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Bowing To Corporate Demands For Watered-Down Bill, Gov. Kristi Noem Sells Out Women’s Sports

Given the reality of the NCAA’s policy, South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem’s proffered explanation for excluding women collegiate athletes from the protections of H.B. 1217 is beyond misleading.

By Margot Cleveland
March 22, 2021

On Friday, South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem balked on signing House Bill 1217 when the bill to promote fairness in women’s sports crossed her desk. But instead of vetoing the legislation, Noem returned the bill to the House with what she called “recommendations as to STYLE and FORM.” The Republican governor’s spin, however, cannot withstand scrutiny—most specifically her claimed reasoning for removing collegiate athletics from the bill’s protections.

As finalized by the South Dakota legislature, Section 1 of H.B. 1217 provided that athletic teams and sports in the state, including at institutions of higher education, must be expressly designated as male, female, or coeducation. It also stipulated that teams or sports designed as female must be “available only to participants who are female, based on their biological sex.”

After promising to sign H.B. 1217, Noem instead took to Twitter on Friday to state why she had changed her mind and instead returned the bill to legislators for modifications. Noem elaborated on her reasoning in a letter to legislators.

more
https://thefederalist.com/2021/03/22/bowing-to-corporate-demands-for-watered-down-bill-gov-kristi-noem-sells-out-womens-sports/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
She's trying to split the baby in half, and it's going to come back to bite her.

She should have signed the bill "as it is", and let the chips fall where they may.

Offline mountaineer

She'll be on Tucker Carlson tonight at 8:20 p.m. (eastern time) to discuss it, she has tweeted.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
I saw her with Tucker  Maybe she was right.  BUT, why didn't she and her legislature work together to get it right the first time?  This looks weak to me, and zero leadership.

Offline skeeter

Disappointing - she was one of the half dozen I have high hopes for. If she aspires to national office Noem should know millions are watching for ideological consistency and are pretty sensitive to anything that looks like a betrayal.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Jack Posobiec
@JackPosobiec

Craziest thing I’ve ever seen

(Noem on Tucker) Video:

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1374169699265748992

9:22 PM · Mar 22, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Offline mountaineer

I'm inclined to accept her explanation, but - like @jafo2010 - have to wonder why she and the legislature couldn't have gotten it right the first time. This is what happens when there's a kneejerk response to an issue, and heaven knows my own state legislature does it all the time. The solution ends up being at least as bad as the problem.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I'm inclined to accept her explanation, but - like @jafo2010 - have to wonder why she and the legislature couldn't have gotten it right the first time. This is what happens when there's a kneejerk response to an issue, and heaven knows my own state legislature does it all the time. The solution ends up being at least as bad as the problem.

I'm not!  She is off my list and unlikely to ever return.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I'm not!  She is off my list and unlikely to ever return.

She sounds more like Nikki Haley every day doesn't she?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
She sounds more like Nikki Haley every day doesn't she?

:yowsa: and I'm done with those types.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

Maybe it's because I was a lawyer long ago, but I can appreciate the problems that can arise from a poorly-written law.  :shrug:

Offline dfwgator

She's trying to split the baby in half, and it's going to come back to bite her.

She should have signed the bill "as it is", and let the chips fall where they may.

Trying to please everyone, just pisses everybody off.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Trying to please everyone, just pisses everybody off.

The only things one finds in the middle of the road is yellow stripes and dead armadillos.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

This blogger analyzes - critically - what Noem has said and done about the proposed law:
... Is this a constitutional use of the “style and form veto”?

Not even close. My organization has spoken to several people on the ground who have told us that dozens of legislators are hopping mad at her for a clear “abuse of executive power.” Meanwhile, left-of-center interests are mad she didn’t veto the bill outright. It will be fascinating to see what happens in the coming days. From what we’ve heard, the bill sponsors will not be consenting to these changes — and there may even be a legal challenge as to whether this was a legitimate use of the “style and form veto” or not. (I hear Kristen Waggoner is a lawyer. I don’t know. We’ll see what happens.)

As we tweeted on Saturday after Noem attempted to backtrack amidst unprecedented criticism from the Right, she has three options: sign the bill, let the bill become law without her signature, or veto the bill. If she wants to amend it, she should make her case through the legislative process after the bill becomes law.

It’s still possible — if she changes course quickly — that Noem could move past this and salvage her political career. Own the legislation. Show Amazon that South Dakota won’t be bullied. Tell the NCAA to shove it. But I’m not optimistic that’s going to happen, which is a real shame. ...
More from Jon Schweppe

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
catfish wrote:
"She sounds more like Nikki Haley every day doesn't she?"

And Bigun replied:
"yowsa: and I'm done with those types."

Fishrrman's "Rule of women in politics" applies here.
That is, they should never be permitted to hold ANY position of high political power.

(waiting for someone to chime in, "what about Margaret Thatcher?" in three, two, one...)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
catfish wrote:
"She sounds more like Nikki Haley every day doesn't she?"

And Bigun replied:
"yowsa: and I'm done with those types."

Fishrrman's "Rule of women in politics" applies here.
That is, they should never be permitted to hold ANY position of high political power.

@Fishrrman @Bigun

3 Words for you. "Lady Margaret Thatcher".

(waiting for someone to chime in, "what about Margaret Thatcher?" in three, two, one...)

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
3 Words for you. "Lady Margaret Thatcher".

As I recall she was anything but in the middle of the road @sneakypete

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

On Tucker Carlson, Kristi Noem Stages Act Two Of Political Theater Over Transgender Sports Bill
March 23, 2021
 By Tristan Justice

South Dakota Republican Gov. Kristi Noem defended her Friday decision to sign a “style and form” veto on a transgender sports bill passed this month on Fox News’ Tucker Carlson Monday, claiming the bill was a losing fight.  ...

“As I looked at the bill and examined it, and have been discussing with legal scholars for many months on how to protect women’s sports, this bill would only allow the NCAA to bully South Dakota,” Noem said, “and it would actually prevent women from being able to participate in collegiate sports.”

Independent legal groups, however, including the Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF) pointed out that similar laws were recently passed in Idaho and Mississippi, and their experiences show these claims of incessant litigation following are false.

Kristen Waggoner, the general counsel for the Alliance Defending Freedom told The Federalist Noem’s comments on Carlson’s program were “intentionally misleading or she is uninformed,” particularly on claims supporters of the bill are fighting a losing legal battle.  ...
The Federalist

Hmm.  :pondering:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
As I recall she was anything but in the middle of the road @sneakypete

@Bigun

Which is why I reminded you of her.

For all practical purposes,that woman saved England from bankruptcy and dissolving.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
So her argument was that she wouldn't sign the bill because she was bullied by the NCAA that the NCAA would bully her if she signed it.

That she had to make a coalition of states to oppose the NCAA before she signed the bill.   

That China's basketball league had veto power over legislation in the various states of the United States.

Looks like one thing is certain.  She decided she didn't want to be governess no more.  And...she's off the national ticket as far as the Americans are concerned.  She may as well implement statewide lockdowns and mandatory triple masks.  She's done.

Her arguments were lame.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

@Bigun

Which is why I reminded you of her.

For all practical purposes,that woman saved England from bankruptcy and dissolving.

And now the UK's capital is called Londonistan.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
And now the UK's capital is called Londonistan.

@Sled Dog

Yeah,but that is NOT her fault.

Offline Sled Dog

@Sled Dog

Yeah,but that is NOT her fault.

Oh, I know that.  The glorious old battleship died before that happened. 

I was just helping those people who insist Trump didn't accomplish anything because the Rodents stole his re-election find another example where accomplishments don't matter.    Since accomplishments are always ephemeral, I wonder why they whine so much about not having any permanent ones.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Oh, I know that.  The glorious old battleship died before that happened. 

I was just helping those people who insist Trump didn't accomplish anything because the Rodents stole his re-election find another example where accomplishments don't matter.    Since accomplishments are always ephemeral, I wonder why they whine so much about not having any permanent ones.

@Sled Dog

Easy.They ain't done "accomplishing" yet.

It's easy to criticize how badly the other team plays,right up to the time that YOU  enter the playing field.

Offline mountaineer

Tweeted today:

Governor Kristi Noem
@govkristinoem
Only girls should play girls’ sports. Given the legislature’s failure to accept my proposed revisions to HB 1217, I am immediately signing two executive orders to address this issue: one to protect fairness in K-12 athletics, and another to do so in college athletics. (1/3)
5:52 PM · Mar 29, 2021

Additionally, I will be working with legislative leaders to schedule a special legislative session in late May or early June. The special session will address this important issue, as well others (medicinal marijuana and the latest federal spending package.)

You can read the K-12 Executive Order here: https://governor.sd.gov/doc/2021-05.pdf

You can read the collegiate Executive Order here: https://governor.sd.gov/doc/2021-06.pdf

https://twitter.com/govkristinoem/status/1376653525363621902