Author Topic: DOE Clean Hydrogen Plan: Breathing New Life into Brown Coal Plants  (Read 661 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Watts Up With That by Eric Worrall 3/21/2021

The farce of government agencies and climate warriors celebrating new CO2 belching coal plants which produce “clean hydrogen” is gathering momentum.

DOE Backs Projects to Produce Hydrogen from Coal, Biomass

Mar 15, 2021
by Darrell Proctor

The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) announced the agency has awarded $2 million to four research and development (R&D) projects aimed at advancing clean-hydrogen production technologies.

The DOE’s awards on March 15 are part of a push by the Biden administration in its fight against climate change. Jennifer Granholm, the new Secretary of Energy and former Michigan governor, has said reducing carbon emissions from the energy sector, and promoting more forms of clean energy, is a goal of her department.

“One of the important ways to achieve net-zero carbon emissions is to find innovative approaches to create clean sources of energy like hydrogen,” Granholm said Monday. “With these awards, we’re leaning on some of America’s most brilliant minds to turn these ideas into real solutions—at the same time creating clean-energy jobs and reducing pollution in the air we breathe.”

There is no requirement for any of these plants to sequester their copious CO2 emissions. Most players are so keen to kickstart the hydrogen economy by flooding the market with cheap subsidised hydrogen, they are happy to accept the CO2 emissions for now. There are vague plans to sequester the CO2 or switch to producing hydrogen using renewable electricity at some point in the future, presumably once the technology becomes economically viable.

More: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/03/21/doe-clean-hydrogen-plan-breathing-new-life-into-brown-coal-plants/

Clean Hydrogen From Coal

Offline thackney

Re: DOE Clean Hydrogen Plan: Breathing New Life into Brown Coal Plants
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 12:01:33 pm »
What colour is your hydrogen? A Power Technology jargon-buster
https://www.power-technology.com/features/hydrogen-power-blue-green-grey-brown-extraction-production-colour-renewable-energy-storage/

Brown hydrogen – first colour on the scene
Small town gasworks made hydrogen from coal for hundreds of years, but now industrial manufacturers colour it as “brown hydrogen”....

“People assume the price of grey hydrogen will remain low”
Most hydrogen currently comes from natural gas, but this process also creates a lot of carbon waste....

Blue hydrogen – more technology, less pollution
Blue hydrogen relies on the same process as grey hydrogen, along with carbon capture and storage (CCS). This eliminates the emissions of grey hydrogen, improving the hydrogen’s environmental impact....

Why is “green hydrogen” the ultimate goal?
Green hydrogen cuts out polluting chemicals entirely. It requires water and electricity, which create hydrogen using electrolysis....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 12:40:43 pm »
cheap subsidised hydrogen

Is that like cheap subsidized wind power?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 02:21:50 pm »
cheap subsidised hydrogen

Is that like cheap subsidized wind power?

Just another way to drain the public treasury into the pockets of our well-connected friends.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 01:17:04 am »
It requires water and electricity, which create hydrogen using electrolysis....

AND massive government subsidies without end

Online Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 01:56:02 am »
Reforming natural gas yields double the H2:CO2 ratio than does coal.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 02:21:29 am »
Anytime I read an article about some new energy scheme and do not see any economic analysis, I immediately discard it as impractical.

ALL schemes that are based solely on so-called climate change justification and not economics make zero sense and cannot under any circumstance justify the usage of taxpayer monies.

Let the private sector experiment with its own money, not mine.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

BassWrangler

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 03:56:12 am »
What colour is your hydrogen? A Power Technology jargon-buster
https://www.power-technology.com/features/hydrogen-power-blue-green-grey-brown-extraction-production-colour-renewable-energy-storage/

Brown hydrogen – first colour on the scene
Small town gasworks made hydrogen from coal for hundreds of years, but now industrial manufacturers colour it as “brown hydrogen”....

“People assume the price of grey hydrogen will remain low”
Most hydrogen currently comes from natural gas, but this process also creates a lot of carbon waste....

Blue hydrogen – more technology, less pollution
Blue hydrogen relies on the same process as grey hydrogen, along with carbon capture and storage (CCS). This eliminates the emissions of grey hydrogen, improving the hydrogen’s environmental impact....

Why is “green hydrogen” the ultimate goal?
Green hydrogen cuts out polluting chemicals entirely. It requires water and electricity, which create hydrogen using electrolysis....

I prefer the "no hydrogen" kind of hydrogen - at least when it comes to my vehicles (I'm just fine with the hydrogen in my water).

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 01:10:54 pm »
Anytime I read an article about some new energy scheme and do not see any economic analysis, I immediately discard it as impractical.

ALL schemes that are based solely on so-called climate change justification and not economics make zero sense and cannot under any circumstance justify the usage of taxpayer monies.

Let the private sector experiment with its own money, not mine.

The parade of ways to fleece the public treasury is endless.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien