Author Topic: Derek Chauvin Trial  (Read 13479 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial
« Reply #250 on: April 14, 2021, 08:38:41 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

Ooops...posting on wrong thread?

ROFL .... Yup!   :silly:

Thanks.

@mystery-ak

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #251 on: April 15, 2021, 03:14:37 am »
Prosecution's cross-examination of defense expert Dr. David Fowler:

http://vimeo.com/536978166
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #252 on: April 15, 2021, 05:15:15 am »
Legal Insurrection
@LegInsurrection

#ChauvinTrial Day 13 Wrap-Up: Solid Day for Defense With Forensic Expert Witness

Chauvin Trial Day 13 Wrap-Up: Solid Day for Defense With Forensic Expert Witness
Blackwell scored no major points, hit with “My Cousin Vinny”-style response
https://legalinsurrection.com/2021/04/chauvin-trial-day-13-wrap-up-solid-day-for-defense-with-forensic-expert-witness/

10:24 PM · Apr 14, 2021·Twitter Web App

https://twitter.com/LegInsurrection/status/1382520287716122627

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #253 on: April 15, 2021, 07:35:31 am »
Thanks for the posts gang, I wish I had more time to delve into them more deeply. Interesting stuff especially the legal insights.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #254 on: April 15, 2021, 02:27:19 pm »
It would help the defense a lot if they could produce examples of officers having their knees on the necks of perps without the perp croaking.
The prosecution from what I've read has made a strong case that Chauvin's knee killed Floyd. Considering Floyd's dangerous drug levels and very bad heart, I would think the defense could throw a lot of doubt about the knee killing Floyd.
If I'm sitting on the jury I'm thinking yes, a knee with strong pressure on a person's neck can kill, but I'm also aware of Floyd's dangerous drug level and bad heart.
The most I could convict Chauvin of is some sort of manslaughter charge. I seriously doubt he wanted to kill Floyd. An intent to murder charge considering Floyd's bad health and his resisting arrest is ridiculous.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #255 on: April 15, 2021, 02:47:15 pm »
It would help the defense a lot if they could produce examples of officers having their knees on the necks of perps without the perp croaking.
The prosecution from what I've read has made a strong case that Chauvin's knee killed Floyd. Considering Floyd's dangerous drug levels and very bad heart, I would think the defense could throw a lot of doubt about the knee killing Floyd.
If I'm sitting on the jury I'm thinking yes, a knee with strong pressure on a person's neck can kill, but I'm also aware of Floyd's dangerous drug level and bad heart.
The most I could convict Chauvin of is some sort of manslaughter charge. I seriously doubt he wanted to kill Floyd. An intent to murder charge considering Floyd's bad health and his resisting arrest is ridiculous.

Even the Persecution has accepted the fact that Chauvin's knee was not on the neck, but it was upon the upper shoulder.  Videos from other angles proved that.

And then there's the other prong of the Defense's case...the use of force was justified.

If you haven't yet, read the summary on Legal Insurrection that was linked upthread.  That fellow is very smart and articulate.  He live blogs the trial, and does a daily summary. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #256 on: April 15, 2021, 03:14:29 pm »
Even the Persecution has accepted the fact that Chauvin's knee was not on the neck, but it was upon the upper shoulder.  Videos from other angles proved that.

And then there's the other prong of the Defense's case...the use of force was justified.

If you haven't yet, read the summary on Legal Insurrection that was linked upthread.  That fellow is very smart and articulate.  He live blogs the trial, and does a daily summary.
"Even the Persecution has accepted the fact that Chauvin's knee was not on the neck, but it was upon the upper shoulder.  Videos from other angles proved that."

I have not read that anywhere. If true, there's no way Chauvin can be convicted of anything.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #257 on: April 15, 2021, 03:16:31 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #258 on: April 15, 2021, 03:37:02 pm »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #259 on: April 15, 2021, 03:40:31 pm »
 LIVE: Chauvin Trial Day 14 – Defense Rests, Chauvin Will Not Testify, Asserts 5A

State recalls Dr. Tobin, pulmonologist, to rebut defense expert Dr. Fowler’s testimony of yesterday
Posted by Andrew Branca Thursday, April 15, 2021 at 09:15am

Welcome to our ongoing coverage of the Minnesota murder trial of Derek Chauvin, over the in-custody death of George Floyd.  I am Attorney Andrew Branca for Law of Self Defense.

As we rapidly approach the conclusion of the testimony in Minnesota v. Chauvin it appears that the defense intends to close its case in chief by bringing at least three more medical expert witnesses before the jury, based on the expert witness disclosure filed by the defense back in January (disclosure embedded below).

Among those experts listed in the disclosure who have not yet testified are Dr. Gary W. Kunsman, a forensic toxicologist, Dr. Michael Werner, a forensic psychiatrist, and Dr. Kai Sturmann, an emergency medicine doctor.

Here’s the expert disclosure form:

more
https://legalinsurrection.com/2021/04/live-chauvin-trial-day-14-defense-calls-more-medical-experts-as-trial-nears-end/#more-350646
Support the USO

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #260 on: April 15, 2021, 05:44:30 pm »
Defense rests in Chauvin murder trial
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/548430-defense-rests-in-chauvin-murder-trial

A mistake.  There are two things they needed to do:

1)  Put on a good performance for the jury asking for (and being denied) immunity for the drug dealer's testimony

2)  Bringing in a narcotics expert to testify on the intricacies of overdose deaths as it relates to breathing
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #261 on: April 15, 2021, 06:18:13 pm »
Chauvin's failure to render aid after Floyd went uncouncious is the biggest challenge for the defense.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #262 on: April 15, 2021, 06:20:41 pm »
Chauvin's failure to render aid after Floyd went uncouncious is the biggest challenge for the defense.

Rendering aid might have been easier without the screaming crowd encircling the Police.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #263 on: April 15, 2021, 07:51:50 pm »
BREAKING: Prosecutorial Error With State's Last Witness Creates Grounds for Possible Mistrial in Chauvin Trial

Earlier today, the defense rested in the murder trial of former Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin, charged in connection with the in-custody death of George Floyd.

Chauvin waived his right to testify on his own behalf, asserting his Fifth Amendment right to remain silent during the course of the trial.  That was not a surprising development.

But what came next was quite surprising, and potentially a critical moment in the case for the prosecution.

The prosecution advised the Court that it would have one rebuttal witness.  A rebuttal witness can be called to present testimony in response to evidence heard for the first time during the defense case.  As is very common, the rebuttal testimony would come from one expert witness who previously testified, Dr. Martin Tobin, and the testimony would be in response to testimony given by a defense expert.

But the surprising part of the prosecution’s announcement was that it intended to have Dr. Tobin testify about newly discovered evidence — a Hennepin County Medical Examiner report on the level of carbon monoxide (CO) in the blood gas testing of arterial blood drawn from Floyd at the hospital.

more
https://redstate.com/shipwreckedcrew/2021/04/15/breaking-prosecutorial-error-with-states-last-witness-creates-grounds-for-possible-mistrial-in-chauvin-trial-n361633
Support the USO

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #264 on: April 15, 2021, 08:03:35 pm »
BREAKING: Prosecutorial Error With State's Last Witness Creates Grounds for Possible Mistrial in Chauvin Trial

Earlier today, the defense rested in the murder trial of former Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin, charged in connection with the in-custody death of George Floyd.

Chauvin waived his right to testify on his own behalf, asserting his Fifth Amendment right to remain silent during the course of the trial.  That was not a surprising development.

But what came next was quite surprising, and potentially a critical moment in the case for the prosecution.

The prosecution advised the Court that it would have one rebuttal witness.  A rebuttal witness can be called to present testimony in response to evidence heard for the first time during the defense case.  As is very common, the rebuttal testimony would come from one expert witness who previously testified, Dr. Martin Tobin, and the testimony would be in response to testimony given by a defense expert.

But the surprising part of the prosecution’s announcement was that it intended to have Dr. Tobin testify about newly discovered evidence — a Hennepin County Medical Examiner report on the level of carbon monoxide (CO) in the blood gas testing of arterial blood drawn from Floyd at the hospital.

more
https://redstate.com/shipwreckedcrew/2021/04/15/breaking-prosecutorial-error-with-states-last-witness-creates-grounds-for-possible-mistrial-in-chauvin-trial-n361633

There is no way this crooked trial Judge is going to declare a mistrial on a technicality.  Not with his favorite mob waiting just outside the Courthouse armed with Molotov Cocktails.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #265 on: April 15, 2021, 08:10:14 pm »
There is no way this crooked trial Judge is going to declare a mistrial on a technicality.  Not with his favorite mob waiting just outside the Courthouse armed with Molotov Cocktails.
While I believe you are correct, this is a decided flaw in the trial, and will give opportunity for appeal. Move that down the road a bit, and it may happen that Chauvin is eventually released. Currently, the usual suspects have a new face to riot over, and it is likely that there will be others.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #266 on: April 15, 2021, 08:17:35 pm »
While I believe you are correct, this is a decided flaw in the trial, and will give opportunity for appeal. Move that down the road a bit, and it may happen that Chauvin is eventually released. Currently, the usual suspects have a new face to riot over, and it is likely that there will be others.

The nail in the mistrial coffin would be if the Persecutors were to mention in their Closing that Chauvin pleaded the 5th.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 08:32:04 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #267 on: April 15, 2021, 08:19:36 pm »

It was the defense attorney that saved it from mistrial. Had he kept his mouth shut and let the prosecutor blabber on, he would have gotten his mistrial. But the defense attorney interrupted the prosecutor just before he said something the judge had warned him not to say.  Clearly, the defense attorney believes he has a winning case. But I am not so sure.  I would have let the prosecutor make his unforced error and then use that on appeal if no mistrial was given.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 08:39:28 pm by Hoodat »

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #268 on: April 15, 2021, 08:46:43 pm »

The fact that the prosecution had in its possession CO evidence is definitely grounds for appeal, especially after their cross examination of Dr. Fowler here:

The prosecutor had tried to discredit the defense witness testimony about CO poisoning by asking him if he had evidence.  The witness pointed out that he was denied that evidence because the State had claimed not to have collected it.  It turns out that the State did have that evidence in their possession the whole time.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 08:47:48 pm by Hoodat »

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #269 on: April 16, 2021, 10:32:32 am »
The fact that the prosecution had in its possession CO evidence is definitely grounds for appeal, especially after their cross examination of Dr. Fowler here:

The prosecutor had tried to discredit the defense witness testimony about CO poisoning by asking him if he had evidence.  The witness pointed out that he was denied that evidence because the State had claimed not to have collected it.  It turns out that the State did have that evidence in their possession the whole time.
Yep. The prosecution was not forthcoming in Discovery, and arguably had not been during the rest of the trial, dumping bits here and there on the defense.

Considering Mr. Floyd's exposure to CO was limited in duration and intensity (Chauvin did not succumb to CO poisoning, iirc, and was not much farther from that same exhaust), I really think this is a weak angle for the prosecution to take.

Carbon Monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas, and no one has the ability to analyze the presence or concentration thereof in the air unless and until the effects are noted without specialized equipment, something outside Officer Chauvin's area of expertise.

That's why we have CO monitors in our houses and elsewhere where the gas might accumulate, to alert us to the presence and levels of the gas.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 10:33:56 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #270 on: April 16, 2021, 12:58:26 pm »
Yep. The prosecution was not forthcoming in Discovery, and arguably had not been during the rest of the trial, dumping bits here and there on the defense.

Considering Mr. Floyd's exposure to CO was limited in duration and intensity (Chauvin did not succumb to CO poisoning, iirc, and was not much farther from that same exhaust), I really think this is a weak angle for the prosecution to take.

Carbon Monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas, and no one has the ability to analyze the presence or concentration thereof in the air unless and until the effects are noted without specialized equipment, something outside Officer Chauvin's area of expertise.

That's why we have CO monitors in our houses and elsewhere where the gas might accumulate, to alert us to the presence and levels of the gas.

Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #271 on: April 16, 2021, 05:42:03 pm »

@Bigun

Inna Godda Da Vita.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #272 on: April 16, 2021, 05:45:20 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #273 on: April 16, 2021, 06:44:15 pm »

The presence of CO in Floyd's system would cause his breathing to slow, which directly contradicts the unsubstantiated 'short and rapid breathing' narrative created by the prosecution.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #274 on: April 16, 2021, 06:51:37 pm »

Excrementis bovis ingreditur.  Excrementis bovis exit.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-