Author Topic: Time to End the Clock-Changing Madness  (Read 1506 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Time to End the Clock-Changing Madness
« on: March 14, 2021, 04:04:15 pm »
March 14, 2021
By Jeff Crouere

The dreaded time has come for Americans to lose one hour of sleep as we "spring forward" to daylight saving time (DST) and move forward our clocks.  This adds another nuisance, as it is already difficult for Americans to sleep enough with the constant stress of COVID-19, economic woes, and societal unrest throughout the country.

One easy way to improve our sleep is to end this ridiculous ritual, which creates needless headaches and causes the unnecessary aggravation of changing our clocks twice a year.  It may have been a good idea when it was implemented in 1918; however, over one century later, it has lost its usefulness.

In November, it will be time to "fall back" an hour to standard time.  All this clock-changing leads to increased accidents, a higher incidence of heart attacks, a loss of productivity, and pointless confusion for the American people.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2021/03/time_to_end_the_clockchanging_madness.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Time to End the Clock-Changing Madness
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 04:20:49 pm »

:amen: LONG past time IMHO!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

BassWrangler

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 04:22:44 pm »
Stop the insanity.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 04:45:17 pm »
Needless to say, the article advocates permanent DST.   9999hair out0000

How about permanent Standard Time?  It would make more sense than permanently shifting all the time zones.  I'll bet some folding money that the Feds will force AZ, AK and HI into DST.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 04:57:05 pm »
Why don't the folks who write these opinion pieces every six months like clockwork actually DO something?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 05:10:34 pm »
All you Southern folk may think it's useless, but if you're going to force the choice between 4 a.m. sunrises on standard time in June, or 9 a.m. sunrises in January on permanent DST... it's ugly.

If we're going to scrap DST, maybe consider scrapping local time altogether and go to UTC.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

BassWrangler

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 05:33:18 pm »
Why don't the folks who write these opinion pieces every six months like clockwork actually DO something?

Someone submits a bill to abolish it and it comes up for a vote in Congress periodically. Always goes down to defeat.

I never have understood the purpose of DST. It seems bass-ackwards to me. I live in the northern latitudes of the US, and it's just gotten to the point where the days are getting longer, so there's zero benefit in moving the clock forward an hour.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 05:42:10 pm »
Someone submits a bill to abolish it and it comes up for a vote in Congress periodically. Always goes down to defeat.

I never have understood the purpose of DST. It seems bass-ackwards to me. I live in the northern latitudes of the US, and it's just gotten to the point where the days are getting longer, so there's zero benefit in moving the clock forward an hour.

I live on the western edge of the Mountain time zone border, in the far south part of the US.  If we had DST, the sun would be setting at about 10PM in June-July.  That's why AZ doesn't change times.

Only a fool thinks he can extend a blanket by cutting a foot from the bottom-end of the bed and stitching it to the top.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 05:43:07 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

BassWrangler

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 05:49:51 pm »
I live on the western edge of the Mountain time zone border, in the far south part of the US.  If we had DST, the sun would be setting at about 10PM in June-July.  That's why AZ doesn't change times.

Only a fool thinks he can extend a blanket by cutting a foot from the bottom-end of the bed and stitching it to the top.

It's always justified by saying "farmers". Well farmers can just get up an hour earlier if necessary. I don't get it.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 05:57:03 pm »
I like the spring forward time but don't care for the fall back time. I like more daylight at the end of the day.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

BassWrangler

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 10:12:03 pm »
I like the spring forward time but don't care for the fall back time. I like more daylight at the end of the day.

Spring forward gives you less light at the end of the day...

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 11:15:04 pm »
We voted against daylight savings time in FL several election cycles ago --  it didn't change a darn thing.   It was then that I realized that the state legislature is corrupt just like at the federal level.  9999hair out0000
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 11:57:01 pm »
Related editorial I wrote back in November: "In Defense of Daylight Savings"
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,418756.0.html
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2021, 11:57:20 pm »
I live in the southern part of north Florida in the CTZ. I like my sun to come up at sixish am. So I vote DST year round.  The Sunshine Protection Act, proposed by Sen. Marco Rubio is the way to go.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 11:59:28 pm »
I live in the southern part of north Florida in the CTZ. I like my sun to come up at sixish am. So I vote DST year round.  The Sunshine Protection Act, proposed by Sen. Marco Rubio is the way to go.

Well, the name of the bill is as accurate as any other bill.
I will NOT comply.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2021, 12:24:46 am »

Either way ... I'm sick of the clock changing madness.

https://www.winknews.com/2021/03/10/group-of-bipartisan-senators-pushes-for-permanent-daylight-saving-time/

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2021, 12:32:45 am »
Now that I've figured out how to set the clock in my vehicle...the Keurig...the oven and microwave.

I'm okay with the Spring forward, Fall back thingy. :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 01:56:00 am »
Spring forward gives you less light at the end of the day...

Hold it, The time shift means we lose an hour of sleep, but in exchange we’ll enjoy more evening light for the next eight months. Right? 
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

BassWrangler

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 02:08:05 am »
Hold it, The time shift means we lose an hour of sleep, but in exchange we’ll enjoy more evening light for the next eight months. Right?

You set your clock forward an hour. So if on the day before the time change, the sun was setting when the clock reads 6pm, the day after the time change, it would be reading 7pm. So yeah, I guess you're right about the evening. But in the morning, it's obviously the opposite.

But the thing is, the days are already getting longer. Here in Seattle, it doesn't get dark until 10pm in the summer. Without DST, this would be a more normal 9pm.

But either way, I'd be fine if they would just pick one or the other and leave it alone (and not some moronic move like splitting the difference).

Offline libertybele

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 02:22:11 am »
You set your clock forward an hour. So if on the day before the time change, the sun was setting when the clock reads 6pm, the day after the time change, it would be reading 7pm. So yeah, I guess you're right about the evening. But in the morning, it's obviously the opposite.

But the thing is, the days are already getting longer. Here in Seattle, it doesn't get dark until 10pm in the summer. Without DST, this would be a more normal 9pm.

But either way, I'd be fine if they would just pick one or the other and leave it alone (and not some moronic move like splitting the difference).

Agreed. Pick one or the other and then leave it the heck alone.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2021, 03:10:45 am »
All you Southern folk may think it's useless, but if you're going to force the choice between 4 a.m. sunrises on standard time in June, or 9 a.m. sunrises in January on permanent DST... it's ugly.

If we're going to scrap DST, maybe consider scrapping local time altogether and go to UTC.

Nah. I am as north as it gets, other than AK... And I find it absurd to jigger time.

Leave time alone, and jigger office hours. Same thing, no messing with clocks. And Noon is still Noon - The sun remains the great time piece, as it should.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2021, 02:43:54 pm »
Agreed. Pick one or the other and then leave it the heck alone.

Even though I don't like DST, I'm glad Nevada observes it because for over half the year they have the same time across the river from me.  Last week they were an hour earlier, but now it's the same.
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2021, 02:46:15 pm »
Even though I don't like DST, I'm glad Nevada observes it because for over half the year they have the same time across the river from me.  Last week they were an hour earlier, but now it's the same.

So, what you're saying is that at bar call, for half the year, everybody just picks up and goes across the river for another hour... Which way is which eludes me.  :shrug:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2021, 02:56:26 pm »
So, what you're saying is that at bar call, for half the year, everybody just picks up and goes across the river for another hour... Which way is which eludes me.  :shrug:

Bars never close in Nevada.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2021, 03:05:51 pm »
Bars never close in Nevada.   :shrug:

REALLY? So how do you know when it's time to quit for breakfast?
Bar rush at the diner was almost as good a party as the bar itself.