Author Topic: VIDEO: Smoked Maple Syrup Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich  (Read 1000 times)

Offline pjcomix

• DUmmie FUnnies YouTube Channel
VIDEO: Smoked Maple Syrup Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich
« on: March 13, 2021, 04:51:27 pm »
In a previous video, I showed you how to smoke a maple syrup corned beef (link below). In this video, I take that incredibly delicious smoked maple corned beef and make a delicious Reuben sandwich. Since most of you, like me (at least for now), probably don't have a Panini press, I show you how to make it without the aid of that press. One important thing I learned was  don't put your sandwich back on the plate on which you placed the sliced corned beef without wiping it dry first in order to avoid  sandwich soginess. The second sandwich I made after the one in the video was dryer and it is the sandwich you see in the thumbnail and  at the beginning of this video. Oh, and on the second sandwich I put half of it in the refrigerator and this morning I found out that a  Reuben sandwich is just as delicious when eaten cold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZBaiF6oE6E&t=2s
DUmmie FUnnies YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/dummiefunnies

Offline roamer_1

Re: VIDEO: Smoked Maple Syrup Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 05:30:07 pm »
THAT is a beautiful thing.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 05:31:30 pm »
And YES, as a matter of fact, I DO own a commercial panini press.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 05:47:01 pm »
As for the soggy: Lay the swiss down on the rye in the pan... So the swiss is directly under the meat And then build your stack like you do (with more swiss on the top)

Cover it to steam the cheese

Then lay the dressing ON THE STACK, not on the top slice, and assemble. You don't want the dressing touching the bread during cooking (the liquid flows toward the heat)

In the Panini I put cheese on both slices to protect them from liquid intrusion...
And you still pan-fry the beef and kraut to burn off liquid as much as for the sear.

Good vid.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 05:51:51 pm »
I love a good Reuben sandwich..and boy that looks good!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 06:52:20 pm »
The previous video:

I like boiled corned beef but, let's face it, too much of it can be boring. And since I have been eating a lot of corned beef lately due to the sales on it leading into St. Patrick's Day, this year I decided to switch gears and smoke a four pound corned beef using a maple syrup rub with some other ingredients which you can see in the recipe below. The result was much better than I expected to the extent that I plan to primarily smoke my corned beef rather than boil it in the future.

Recipe:

4 lbs corned beef
3 Tbs maple syrup
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbs smoked paprika
2 Tbs ground peppercorn (or spice packet in the corned beef bag)
1 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs spicy Montreal steak seasoning (or Cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes)

Smoke on indirect heat for at least 2 hours or longer to reach 180 degrees internal temperature.

https://rumble.com/embed/vbsa4z/?pub=4

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cyber Note:  I plan on stealing this recipe.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline pjcomix

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 07:09:05 pm »
As for the soggy: Lay the swiss down on the rye in the pan... So the swiss is directly under the meat And then build your stack like you do (with more swiss on the top)

Then lay the dressing ON THE STACK, not on the top slice, and assemble. You don't want the dressing touching the bread during cooking (the liquid flows toward the heat)

In the Panini I put cheese on both slices to protect them from liquid intrusion...
And you still pan-fry the beef and kraut to burn off liquid as much as for the sear.

Good vid.

So you definitely recommend a Panini for Reuben sandwiches? What other sandwiches do you use it for?

Offline pjcomix

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 07:12:20 pm »
The previous video:

https://rumble.com/embed/vbsa4z/?pub=4

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cyber Note:  I plan on stealing this recipe.

Go ahead. If the temperature stays at 300 degrees for most of the time then let it smoke for 3 hours. If the temp starts out much higher and lingers for awhile then maybe 2 1/2 hours. Anyway use a meat thermometer and insert it in the meaty, not fatty section of the corned beef. Temp should be about 180 degrees.

Offline pjcomix

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 07:19:18 pm »

Good vid.

Does the dressing go on the stack and then the cheese or do you put the cheese down first with the dressing on top?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 07:23:40 pm »

So you definitely recommend a Panini for Reuben sandwiches? What other sandwiches do you use it for?

Oh, HECK YEAH.

And anything you can envision grilling as to what else... Although you still have to pan grill the center slice of a turkey club... But yeah. I am very fond of grilled cheese, with an endless variety (add bacon, turkey, beef, whatever) and every cheese of every kind... and every bread...

BTW, I actually love a Reuben on sourdough, grilled too, and will sometimes sub out turkey pastrami or provalone. Sourdough is probably my favorite bread to grill because it's structure is about perfect for crisping... Almost painful to bite into, it is so crisp.

Roast beef, provalone, and onion and red bell pepper makes a mean grilled sammich. Or pepper jack. Always pepper jack.

And the deli will spur your imagination... My deli has a Southwest turkey and habanero white cheddar that when put together, simply screams desert southwest. A little refried bean and chipolte sauce on a hardy rough bread... it just happens.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 07:26:03 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 07:25:55 pm »
Thanks for sharing! I'm about ready to use the smoker again after a long winter's absence, and I may very well try this out. I have had some good results with brisket - which can be damned tricky.

But it is maple sugar season in New Hampshire right now, so I might just go with this wonderful idea.

The only things that I would do differently (based upon experience) is to remove the fat layer on top of the point cut with a filleting knife, my reason being - it allows for better penetration of the smoke into the meat. Also, I would choose a slather other than mustard - I prefer light olive oil - before applying the rub.

Since I'm using an actual smoker rather than a Weber grill, I might also select oak wood rather than cherry - it is not quite as sweet and imparts a light smokiness that won't overpower the maple flavor. The real trick with brisket/corned beef is to wrap the meat when it hits the 160-162F degree plateau - i.e. -when the meat's natural moisture has been depleted. At that point, wrap it tightly in butcher paper (not foil) and let it finish for a couple more hours until the internal temperature is about 180F. 

I'm salivating just thinking about it!
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 07:35:24 pm »
Does the dressing go on the stack and then the cheese or do you put the cheese down first with the dressing on top?

Depends. In the panini I put the cheese next to the bread as a general rule, because liquid tries to go to the heat. Since the sandwich is fully assembled and the panini press heats from both the top and the bottom, the cheese acts as a barrier, keeping the liquids away from the bread.

So in that case, I would lay cheese on the bottom slice and finish the stack with cheese to go against the top slice - so the stack would be corned beef, kraut, sauce, and then cheese, which would go against the top slice.

Another thing with the panini that is kinda weird - using a sacrificial meat under the cheese on the top slice, so you can still open the thing up when it is done to put in fresh veggies... Because one thing you will get bored of pretty quickly is the heaviness of grilled food without any greens (which would wilt in the panini. Also allows for a cold vinaigrette and etc in what would otherwise be just a heavy slab of meat and cheese.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 07:38:52 pm »

To extend my answer fully, if you are PAN frying, the dressing could go on top of the stack, next to the bread, because by the time you mash the thing together, the top slice is no longer in the heat... The dressing is going to try to go down toward the pan...

See the difference?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2021, 07:44:10 pm »
You could do the same thing resting the top slice off the heat before laying on the sauce.

Similar to mayo on the top slice... It will make hot toast soggy.. But if you rest the toast a minute, the mayo actually will act as a barrier and keep liquids out. So always rest the toast in a BLT for instance, so the mayo will keep the tomato out of the top slice.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2021, 11:31:06 pm »
Sandwich Mechanics....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2021, 11:34:01 pm »
Sandwich Mechanics....

Go fry up a grilled cheese... Only instead of using butter on the outside of the bread, use mayo. You'll thank me for that...

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2021, 04:36:06 am »
Best Reuben I ever had was in Rapid City, SD.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-