Author Topic: Reparations for ancestors of slaves? The numbers don't add up.  (Read 268 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
March 12, 2021
Reparations for ancestors of slaves? The numbers don't add up.
By Anna L. Stark

House Resolution 40, the Commission to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act, got underway again in mid-February.  It was originally introduced in Congress by John Conyers of Michigan in 1989, then again by Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas in 2019, followed by Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey, who presented a companion bill last April.  Of particular contention is the claim that white Americans are responsible for the "sin of slavery" and should be made to pay, in order to adequately address and resolve 400 years of racial injustice and inequality, while contending that 5% of all Americans currently residing in the United States are the ancestors white slave-owners in 1860. 

Supporters argue that monetary reparations are necessary to correct economic disparity between black and white Americans, the disparity being the root cause of all systemic racism in the United States.  Over the course of H.R. 40 discussions in Congress, advocates for reparations have dishonestly paired the enslavement of Africans in the United States, prior to the end of the Civil War in 1865, with the low number of black Americans who currently own homes, along with the disproportionate poverty level among black Americans.  Some have even suggested a correlation with the higher than normal transmission rates of the COVID-19 virus when comparing black Americans who contracted the virus to their white counterparts.

It is the widely held pro-reparations belief that a onetime monetary payment somewhere between $300,000 and $400,000, paid to 45 million black Americans, or an estimated $19-trillion "wealth transfer," will vanquish poverty among black Americans; erase past racial injustice; and, in their opinion, end systemic racism in perpetuity.  Numerous proposals are vague on how $19 trillion would be raised for reparation payments.  One idea imposes direct taxation on the wealthiest Americans, while other proposals rely upon instituting a onetime corporate tax on companies that profited from slavery in addition to identifying (and then taxing) the 21st-century ancestors of slave-owning families based on Census records from 1860.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2021/03/reparations_for_ancestors_of_slaves_the_numbers_dont_add_up.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Reparations for ancestors of slaves? The numbers don't add up.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 01:00:12 am »
That we've now reached the point where we're debating the amount and details of "reparations" -- rather than stating the simple notion of same is absurd and should be dismissed immediately without further consideration -- tells me that it's no longer a matter of "if", but "when" this monstrosity is going to be passed by the communist congress.

I predict that when reparations are enacted, the funding mechanism is going to be deep and insidious, not merely a "one-time payment", but rather take the form of an annual tax, perhaps on wealth, 401k's, etc...

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 01:03:44 am »
What is a slave today?

A white Tax payer.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 10:44:30 am »
What is a slave today?

A white Tax payer.
What's to bitch about? You still get your 3/4 of a vote.

Not that even that will be counted.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 02:37:13 pm »
What's to bitch about? You still get your 3/4 of a vote.

Not that even that will be counted.

White privilege ain't all that great
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 02:41:04 pm »
White privilege ain't all that great
But you get to make 46,000 a month working from home in your spare time next to the pool, so you can afford to pay for everyone else...(or so I have been told).
I wonder how many of them have lost 60 lbs. since COVID started? (No, I don't run or 'work out').
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis