Author Topic: Advocates warn restrictive voting bills could end Georgia's record turnout  (Read 541 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Advocates warn restrictive voting bills could end Georgia's record turnout
By Aris Folley - 03/06/21 06:46 PM EST

Georgia voting rights advocates are worried Republicans are clawing back hard-won progress made in the state after it saw record turnout among voters in November’s general election and the Senate runoffs earlier this year.

A new batch of bills making their way through Georgia's legislature are raising red flags among voting rights groups who say the state might not have seen the record turnout it did in the recent races if the bills were in place.

“I don't know that 5 million people would have been successful in casting ballots if the rules were some of the things that they're proposing today,” said Andrea Young, the executive director of American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia.

The elections bills filed by Georgia Republicans in recent weeks include legislation seeking to end no-excuse absentee voting and automatic voter registration, limit early voting on weekends and the period of time voters would have to request absentee ballots, and require more identification to vote absentee.

Nsé Ufot, founder of the New South super PAC, said if any of the elections bills including such restrictions were a factor in November, when Joe Biden narrowly defeated then-President Trump in the presidential election and Democrats Rev. Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff advanced to Senate runoff races, the outcome in the traditionally red state could have been entirely different.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/541810-advocates-warn-restrictive-voting-bills-could-end-Georgias-record-turnout
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
is this one of those naugahyde makes a comeback things
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline skeeter

Its one of those how dare he hit my fist with his nose things.

Offline PeteS in CA

If reducing fraudulent and duplicate "votes" reduces "turn-out", how is that a problem?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Advocates warn restrictive voting bills could end Georgia's record turnout"

That's fine with me.
"Turnout" IS NOT of any importance.
What IS important is that the votes be legitimately cast by registered voters, and properly counted.

If that means that some voters have their votes "suppressed", that's also fine with me. And if those voters happen to be minorities, well, I just don't care.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 10:56:01 pm by Fishrrman »

BassWrangler

If reducing fraudulent and duplicate "votes" reduces "turn-out", how is that a problem?

Exactly! I guess it's a problem for Democrats who want to cheat their way into office.

Online Hoodat

If they had followed the laws already in existence, they would have had far less votes.

Ballot harvesting is illegal.  They allowed it.
Voting without picture ID is illegal.  They allowed it.
Ballots without a signature is illegal.  They allowed it.
Ballots from residents of other states is illegal.  They allowed it.
Photo copies of ballots is illegal.  They allowed it.
Making changes to software without recertification is illegal.  They allowed it.

And so on.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

BassWrangler

If they had followed the laws already in existence, they would have had far less votes.

Ballot harvesting is illegal.  They allowed it.
Voting without picture ID is illegal.  They allowed it.
Ballots without a signature is illegal.  They allowed it.
Ballots from residents of other states is illegal.  They allowed it.
Photo copies of ballots is illegal.  They allowed it.
Making changes to software without recertification is illegal.  They allowed it.

And so on.

Yes, very true. It's why I'm not all that excited about a state passing a voter ID law. Means nothing.

Online Hoodat

Yes, very true. It's why I'm not all that excited about a state passing a voter ID law. Means nothing.

Georgia already has a voter ID law.  'Nuff said.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

BassWrangler

Georgia already has a voter ID law.  'Nuff said.

Yep.