Author Topic: Sen. Tina Smith calls for eliminating filibuster  (Read 290 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Sen. Tina Smith calls for eliminating filibuster
« on: March 05, 2021, 05:52:49 pm »
Sen. Tina Smith calls for eliminating filibuster
By Jordan Williams - 03/05/21 12:20 PM EST

Sen. Tina Smith (Minn.) on Friday became the latest Democratic senator to call for eliminating the Senate filibuster.

“I’ve made up my mind. We need to move this country forward, and that’s why I’ve decided t come out in support of eliminating the filibuster,” Smith said on Twitter.

Smith in a Facebook post on Thursday said she initially supported keeping the filibuster, but had determined it was an "enemy of progress."

“Without it, I reasoned, what would stop a conservative president and Congress from doing terrible damage to women’s health care, voting rights and civil rights,” Smith wrote of her initial position.

“But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the filibuster has long been the enemy of progress. In fact, it’s been a highly effective tool to thwart the will of the people,” she wrote.

Smith also criticized the argument that the filibuster protects the minority party’s rights against the majority.

“What the filibuster does is allow a minority of Senators to just say no to any idea they don’t like,” she wrote.  “They don’t have to negotiate because they can stop anything. [Senate Minority Leader Mitch] McConnell (R-Ky.) is the master of obstruction, but the big problem is that this is fundamentally undemocratic.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/541818-sen-tina-smith-calls-for-eliminating-filibuster
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: Sen. Tina Smith calls for eliminating filibuster
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 06:11:44 pm »
“But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the filibuster has long been the enemy of progress. In fact, it’s been a highly effective tool to thwart the will of the people,” she wrote

I disagree.
It is there to stop an unbridled, power hungry Congress.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 06:18:48 pm »
“What the filibuster does is allow a minority of Senators to just say no to any idea they don’t like,” she wrote.

What the filibuster did was allow Democrats to block anti-lynching legislation and numerous other Civil Rights bills for an entire century.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 06:20:56 pm »
The fillibuster was a dim brainchild a few decades ago when it suited them.  Typical SOB's want to play only by their rules.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mikezpen

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 09:43:51 pm »
If the filibuster goes, the welfare of this country goes with it.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 10:01:43 pm »
Maybe bringing back earmarks would help grease the skids.  Senators love to build monuments to themselves back home.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 12:29:56 am »
RINO wrote:
"Maybe bringing back earmarks would help grease the skids.  Senators love to build monuments to themselves back home."

Hmmm....
Seems to me they've already done that (at least in the House)...?