Author Topic: Betting on death of petrol cars, Volvo to go all electric by 2030  (Read 547 times)

Offline thackney

Betting on death of petrol cars, Volvo to go all electric by 2030
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-volvo-electric-idUSKBN2AU0AU
MARCH 1, 2021

Volvo’s entire car lineup will be fully electric by 2030, the Chinese-owned company said on Tuesday, joining a growing number of automakers planning to phase out fossil-fuel engines by the end of this decade.

“I am totally convinced there will be no customers who really want to stay with a petrol engine,” Volvo Chief Executive Håkan Samuelsson told reporters when asked about future demand for electric vehicles. “We are convinced that an electric car is more attractive for customers.”

The Swedish-based carmaker said 50% of its global sales should be fully-electric cars by 2025 and the other half hybrid models.

Owned by Hangzhou-based Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, Volvo will launch a new family of electric cars in the next few years, all of which will be sold online only....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Hoodat

Re: Betting on death of petrol cars, Volvo to go all electric by 2030
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 05:41:00 pm »
Looks like Volvo is abandoning the US market.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

BassWrangler

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 05:44:04 pm »
Betting on death of petrol cars, Volvo to go all electric by 2030
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-volvo-electric-idUSKBN2AU0AU
MARCH 1, 2021

Volvo’s entire car lineup will be fully electric by 2030, the Chinese-owned company said on Tuesday, joining a growing number of automakers planning to phase out fossil-fuel engines by the end of this decade.

“I am totally convinced there will be no customers who really want to stay with a petrol engine,” Volvo Chief Executive Håkan Samuelsson told reporters when asked about future demand for electric vehicles. “We are convinced that an electric car is more attractive for customers.”

The Swedish-based carmaker said 50% of its global sales should be fully-electric cars by 2025 and the other half hybrid models.

Owned by Hangzhou-based Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, Volvo will launch a new family of electric cars in the next few years, all of which will be sold online only....

Many people think of electric cars as part of the "climate change" hysteria. However, once you have one as your daily driver, you quickly realize that they are fantastic vehicles in their own right. I have a Tesla Model 3 and just love it. I can't imagine going back to an ICE car as a daily driver.

However, if I had the space in my garage, I would also have some sort of small 4WD truck, because it's not really realistic to take an electric sports car off road, or even in semi-paved areas like forest roads. Maybe some day electric cars will be viable for that too, but not today.

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 05:59:43 pm »
Many people think of electric cars as part of the "climate change" hysteria. However, once you have one as your daily driver, you quickly realize that they are fantastic vehicles in their own right. I have a Tesla Model 3 and just love it. I can't imagine going back to an ICE car as a daily driver.

However, if I had the space in my garage, I would also have some sort of small 4WD truck, because it's not really realistic to take an electric sports car off road, or even in semi-paved areas like forest roads. Maybe some day electric cars will be viable for that too, but not today.

A few choices out there and more coming:

All the Off-Road Goodies on the 2022 GMC Hummer EV
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g34414933/2022-gmc-hummer-off-road-equipment-explained/

The Hummer is back for 2022, and it's not the gas-guzzling, military-inspired behemoth you might remember from before. It's an off-road pickup truck—an SUV is coming in 2023—powered by General Motors' new Ultium batteries and up to three electric motors that will produce up to 1000 horsepower. Think of it as an electric rival of sorts to the Ford F-150 Raptor and Ram 1500 TRX, and if it's going to compete with those off-road monsters it'll need some off-road chops of its own....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 06:00:20 pm »
Looks like Volvo is abandoning the US market.

Looks like they are abandoned their future in the automobile business to me.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 06:11:38 pm »
Looks like they are abandoned their future in the automobile business to me.

I will be driving a V8 the rest of my life.  I don't give a sh__ what envirowhackos want.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 06:16:18 pm »
I will be driving a V8 the rest of my life.  I don't give a sh__ what envirowhackos want.

I drive a pickup powered by a Cummins Turbo Diesel and plan to continue doing so for as long as I remain alive.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien