Author Topic: ‘All shades of dead brown.’  (Read 394 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
‘All shades of dead brown.’
« on: February 27, 2021, 11:34:09 pm »
Houston Chronicle by Cayla Harris 2/26/2021

Mani Skaria has been through this before.

When the temperatures dropped below freezing this month, it was impossible not to think back to the 1989 freeze that wiped out more than 20,000 acres of citrus. He had seen it firsthand, just a year after he moved to the Rio Grande Valley to work as a faculty member at the Texas A&M Citrus Center.

A Washington Post article published that year was headlined “TEXAS CITRUS GROWERS FEAR CROP IS DESTROYED.” Three decades later, staring at his own citrus operation in Hargill, a rural town about an hour’s drive from the border with Mexico, Skaria feels the same heartache.

“When I drive around my own orchard and other places, it looks very sad,” Skaria, the owner of US Citrus, a company known for its fresh produce boxes sent directly to subscribers. The leaves are all brown, and vertical cracks break open the trunks — signs that don’t bode well for the trees’ survival, he said.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/local/article/All-shades-of-dead-brown-Freeze-pummeled-15983000.php

I think I've lost all my citrus trees. One Satsuma tree I planted over 30 yrs ago.

Offline thackney

Re: ‘All shades of dead brown.’
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 01:57:32 am »
I think I've lost all my citrus trees.

I think I lost all four as well.  Cleaning up the yard and bushes, I feel like I'm in a Monty Python sketch:

"Bring out your dead...."
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 12:27:28 am »
I just got a shipping email that I have 4 orange trees on their way to replace some of what I've lost. And Saturday I go to pick up 2 more or pick up a refund. They won't tell me which. I ordered these 2 from the annual Harris County tree sale before I even knew a freeze was on its way. It's probably going to be a refund.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 01:12:18 am »
First time in Houston since the freeze.  Haven't found any palm trees yet that look alive.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 07:07:45 pm »
Well I'll be damned. Harris County came thru and I picked up 2 navel orange trees Today.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 06:45:21 pm »
I just spotted tiny shoots coming out on my Satsuma tree. One was up over my head. Nothing on the rest of my citrus trees.