Author Topic: Some investors face ‘colossal’ losses on U.S. Treasury bonds as yields surge  (Read 366 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/some-investors-face-colossal-losses-on-u-s-treasury-bonds-as-yields-surge-11614185408?cx_testId=22&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=0&mod=home-page-cx#cxrecs_s

<snipit>

The multidecade-long bull market in Treasurys has delivered rich gains to patient investors, but a 2021 bond-market selloff is likely inflicting significant pain on some market participants.

Though many were expecting yields to rise this year as the reflation narrative gained ground, few were prepared for the rapid rise in long-term bond yields since the start of this year. Yields move in the opposite direction of bond prices.

That’s been matched by the surge in long-term Treasury yields. The 30-year bond rate, 2.295% is at 2.27%, up around 63 basis points since the start of the year.

==================================================================================
If you remember last year, I mentioned how insane it was for anyone to invest in long bonds priced at 1.6%.  If you knew anyone who did, make sure you get their children to invoke their fidicuary  POA over them.

OTOH, there are many of us drooling at how far this bond (rate)  rally (or crash if that is your perspective) will go.  My last significant plunge in the 30 years realm, I was happy with 5.5%, which I have enjoyed for many years.   With Biden's financail plan, inflation is almost a certainty.  Will we see 5-6% again in the long bonds? All depends on how much a kick in the nuts Biden-mania takes us. 

6% is my trigger point at this time, which might correspond with some decent 7-8% Corporate ones.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Pretty predictable this would happen.  One reason I have only done short term bonds.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online DefiantMassRINO

Why is this news?  Bond prices and interest rates have an inverse relationship.  That's the known risk.  No investment is "safe".  Money market funds "broke the buck" in 2008.  Prior, money market funds were thought to be "safe" investments.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Why is this news? 

@DefiantMassRINO

When a mainstream investment instrument triples (or 1/3rd's depending on your investive perspective in the 10 Year bond) in a period in 8 months, there are many who might find this level of bond gyration....   "Newsy" .  If you can't understand that, then I can't help you.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

Why is this news?  Bond prices and interest rates have an inverse relationship.  That's the known risk.

It is impossible to predict interest rates when the Fed continues to print up an extra trillion here and an extra trillion there.  Without that, interest rates would be over 20%.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-