Author Topic: Fry’s Electronics permanently closes all stores nationwide  (Read 3578 times)

BassWrangler

Re: Fry’s Electronics permanently closes all stores nationwide
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2021, 11:17:34 pm »
I had/did a lot Heathkit stuff too... That was my first round of test equipment. Meters, frequency counter, oscilloscope, etc... I still have my SB-1400 HF Transceiver... I had to get rid of most of it on my last move a few years ago...

Yeah, I reluctantly got rid of most of my ham equipment a year ago. Just no way I can do any HF stuff here. I did keep an HT. I may get back into it once I am able to relocate to a more urban area.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2021, 05:05:05 am »
I tried to shop them when I lived in Gwinnett Co. GA   I found they seemed to practice the old master "Bait And Switch" trick on their Electronics.   If you could find an associate to help you find the sale Ad items that is.  "Sorry sir we sold out of that model but we do have this mo better model for only a few dollars more.  And today only... we will throw in a free ....

I purchased a CD/DVD drive at a North Fulton Co store.  After installing it, I discovered it didn't work.  But when I returned it to the store a week later, they refused to refund it because it was 'obsolete'.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2021, 06:04:40 am »
Back in the 70's when I was a kid I loved those Radio Shack P-Box kits... The Regenerative 3 Transistor Shortwave Radio was my first...

Never seen a Fry's in my life... But Radio Shack shutting down cut like a knife, I'll tell you what.

BassWrangler

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2021, 03:57:56 pm »
Never seen a Fry's in my life... But Radio Shack shutting down cut like a knife, I'll tell you what.

Well, by the time they went they were little more than a cell phone store.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2021, 04:13:48 pm »

That is the truth.  That and several isles of different cables, wire and zip ties.   The perfect store for a Antifa wanna be or serial killer..
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

BassWrangler

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2021, 04:17:10 pm »
That is the truth.  That and several isles of different cables, wire and zip ties.   The perfect store for a Antifa wanna be or serial killer..

Yeah, they kind of remind me of that cell phone store that Jimmy worked at in 'Better Call Saul'

Online roamer_1

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2021, 04:45:56 pm »

Not up in here. Granted, they were less than they had been, and I was probably less informed of them than I had been, seeing as how the only store left was up in Whitefish, and out of my normal way... But till they finally left, they remained a sturdy supply of everything electronic, even as their inventory shrunk down to a series of drawers in the back of the shop. Perhaps that was the doing of the shop owner who knew the reliance folks around had on him.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2021, 05:07:46 pm »
Not up in here. Granted, they were less than they had been, and I was probably less informed of them than I had been, seeing as how the only store left was up in Whitefish, and out of my normal way... But till they finally left, they remained a sturdy supply of everything electronic, even as their inventory shrunk down to a series of drawers in the back of the shop. Perhaps that was the doing of the shop owner who knew the reliance folks around had on him.

I miss that about Radio Shack, too.  Their finished products suffered a continuous decline in quality to the point they were too unreliable to buy, but I found the loose parts a great thing.  I knew where I could go to scrounge up some 4.7K Ohm resistors at 2% accuracy, or a Zener Diode that I knew would work, but now I have to mail-order that stuff and wait a few days to get it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2021, 05:10:32 pm »
In 7th grade, I would hang out at Radio Shack every day after school because they had a TRS-80 powered up on display.  That's where I learned to write BASIC.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2021, 05:13:38 pm »
I miss that about Radio Shack, too.  Their finished products suffered a continuous decline in quality to the point they were too unreliable to buy [...]

That's kinda true. Two of my early CB radios were Realistic Navajo base stations... The second being my first SSB unit. After that one I shortly converted to Midland products.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2021, 05:18:46 pm »
In 7th grade, I would hang out at Radio Shack every day after school because they had a TRS-80 powered up on display.  That's where I learned to write BASIC.

IIRC, the Trash 80s were on the expensive side, and all the S/W was proprietary so you were limited to what they decided to sell.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2021, 05:22:25 pm »

When searcing the web for What happened to RS  I came across this:

Left for dead, twice, RadioShack gets another shot online

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/left-dead-radioshack-shot-online-74381808

Online roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2021, 05:23:46 pm »

LOL! They had a DOS based desktop called 'Deskmate' that stayed around long after Windows got onboard... I preferred Deskmate to Windows for a very long time. Who needs multi-tasking beyond the odd TSR?

Another one that stayed with me all the way into Win2k was a gizmo called Pathminder... A little file utility that I could use with my eyes closed. I still miss it now and then.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2021, 05:28:55 pm »
That's kinda true. Two of my early CB radios were Realistic Navajo base stations... The second being my first SSB unit. After that one I shortly converted to Midland products.

In my town the RS store was in a mall between Sears and Jacque Penny.  Each sold CB Radio's. I shopped all three for price.  Ended up buying a Sears Model.  It might have been a re-branded Cobra as Sears was famous for doing that stuff back in the 70's.  I'd still have that CB if I hadn't lost it and my guns in a tragic boating accident

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2021, 05:29:06 pm »
I still remember the Lotus 1-2-3 keystrokes.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2021, 05:33:08 pm »
When searcing the web for What happened to RS  I came across this:

Left for dead, twice, RadioShack gets another shot online

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/left-dead-radioshack-shot-online-74381808

It exists!  Just for giggles, I did a search for a 5K Ohm potentiometer, and they sell them in both linear and audio taper.

https://www.radioshack.com/
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 05:34:29 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2021, 05:36:31 pm »
In my town the RS store was in a mall between Sears and Jacque Penny.  Each sold CB Radio's. I shopped all three for price.  Ended up buying a Sears Model.  It might have been a re-branded Cobra as Sears was famous for doing that stuff back in the 70's.  I'd still have that CB if I hadn't lost it and my guns in a tragic boating accident

Still have a Sears Roadtalker 40ch. in my pickup... That radio is iconic.  :beer:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2021, 05:38:55 pm »
This has been coming for over a year, it started with them carrying less products, namely computers, motherboards and almost anything of a major brand label. I was surprised when they closed their Anaheim, Ca. store but knew what was coming when close to a year ago I went into the other local store in Huntington Beach, CA and the shelves were either empty or being greatly reduced in size and number and the employee gave me a BS reason of of reorganizing the store. The last six months most of what they carried was low end crap.

Seems like all the places I used to go to get tools or electronics and such are dead and gone.

@GtHawk

Do you know how to say "Thank you Masters" in Chinese?

If not,maybe someone from the Bush,Clinton,Pelosi,or McConnell families can teach you?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2021, 05:41:52 pm »
I still remember the Lotus 1-2-3 keystrokes.

Always did like Lotus better than MS. Stayed with it even when IBM was distributing it for free. But it never could get on top of MS Office. Word Perfect stayed around a while longer... I think only in legal offices.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2021, 05:44:05 pm »
Still have a Sears Roadtalker 40ch. in my pickup... That radio is iconic.  :beer:

I was pretty PO'ed when the FCC upped the channels to 40, because at the same time they throttled the legal power output.
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2021, 05:44:33 pm »
It exists!  Just for giggles, I did a search for a 5K Ohm potentiometer, and they sell them in both linear and audio taper.

Woah. That's like a trip down the Wayback machine... Transistor radios and all!

Look at the store locator... That can't be right... I got half a mind to get in the truck and wander down to Stevensville just to see if they're still there.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2021, 05:45:17 pm »
I've even had "Top of the Line" power supplies fail right out of the box. But I had no problem getting a replacement. It only cost me time and frustration.

What is really frustrating is when you replace a bad power supply with another brand new also bad power supply. American named companies with Chinese made products.

@Elderberry

Good luck finding any electrical component these days that ISN'T made in China.

Seems like the modern "liberals" that run the Dim Party these days LUV slave labor.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Wingnut

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2021, 05:45:56 pm »

No SHit! that is cool.  They made the best aerosol pot cleaner back in the day.  It would clean and lubricate the contacts.  Can't remember the name of it now.  But I need some to clean up my Marantz 2270.

Edit:

They have it!   This is great.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-control-contact-cleaner-and-lubricant
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 05:48:36 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2021, 05:48:04 pm »
Always did like Lotus better than MS. Stayed with it even when IBM was distributing it for free. But it never could get on top of MS Office. Word Perfect stayed around a while longer... I think only in legal offices.

I had WordPerfect and Borland QuattroPro, too.  Once, I successfully converted a WordPerfect document into MS Word, but was never able to replicate it.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2021, 05:48:13 pm »
I was pretty PO'ed when the FCC upped the channels to 40, because at the same time they throttled the legal power output.

That was one of them places my ability to abide by the law kinda hit a gray area. I had 100 amp bi-linear running out of the pickup till maybe 10 years ago, and over 600 watts out of my base...Till uncle charlie came to town, of course.  :whistle:

Probably just as well... Buying my neighbors TV filters was getting to be expensive.