Author Topic: Texas livestock, crop losses expected to be 'in the millions' after winter storm  (Read 568 times)

Offline thackney

Texas livestock, crop losses expected to be 'in the millions' after winter storm
https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/texas-livestock-crop-losses-expected-to-be-in-the-millions-after-winter-storm/287-c5cb979e-0f8c-4e52-b17c-7dce088f847a
February 23, 2021

...He said during the week, supply and feed stores were empty or closed and crops planted early in the season likely froze. Those planted late stand a chance of recovering.

“The fields are kind of brown and they're usually green about this time of year, and that's just because the frost damage has changed its color,” said Hale.

While floods and hurricanes do the most damage, the winter storm created losses for both livestock and crops. Hale said one local farm lost dozens of sheep....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

“One thing after another”: Rural Texans faced the same storm — with unique hardships
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/21/texas-winter-electric-water-rural/
FEB. 21, 2021

...Boening, president of the Texas Farm Bureau, said he’s been at this work for nearly 40 years. He has never seen a weather event like this in South Texas and is hearing similar stories across the state from the organization's 500,000 members....

...Vegetable and citrus farmers suffered substantial losses, he said. And while at least half of the citrus crops of oranges and grapefruit had already been harvested in the Rio Grande Valley, he said the losses for that region alone total more than $300 million so far.

“It’s difficult to prepare for what you’ve never lived in,” Boening said....

Offline thackney

Texas ranchers scramble to keep animals alive in unusual cold
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-weather-cattle/texas-ranchers-scramble-to-keep-animals-alive-in-unusual-cold-idUSKBN2AI1K3
FEBRUARY 18, 2021

...In Texas, home to more than 13 million cattle, ranchers said they are spending long, cold hours breaking up ice in water tanks and on frozen ponds so animals have something to drink. Icy conditions have turned diesel fuel into a useless gel in tractors. Ranchers said they are using gasoline-powered pickup trucks to transport hay that cattle can eat and use for warm bedding.

Kaylin Isbell, a rancher in Florence, Texas, said a few cows and sheep had died after birth. Babies are particularly vulnerable to the shock of the cold when they leave their mothers’ warm wombs covered in fluid. Isbell said her mother-in-law took newly born sheep into a spare bedroom in her home to keep them warm.

The cold will also kill oats Isbell planted for young cattle to graze on, she said. As a result, Isbell said she will need to sell the animals earlier than expected, reducing her profit margins....

...Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller told Reuters that baby chicks are freezing to death because there is not enough natural gas to heat hatcheries. He said dairy operations are dumping $8 million worth of milk down the drains daily because milk processing plants are without power. Grain mills across the state cannot manufacture animal feed without power either, Miller said....

Offline thackney

Arctic conditions deliver frigid blow to Texas ag
https://agrilifetoday.tamu.edu/2021/02/17/arctic-conditions-deliver-frigid-blow-to-texas-ag/
Feb. 17, 2021

...The temperatures will affect citrus and cold-season vegetables like leafy greens, onions, beets, parsley and watermelons, Anciso said.

Oranges were frozen solid, and some grapefruits were nearly frozen through, he said.

The good news is that around 80% of the orange crop and two-thirds of the grapefruit crop were harvested before the winter storm, he said. The crop losses will be significant for producers, but the lasting damage could be tree losses.

“A lot of citrus guys are running their sprinklers to insulate their trees,” Anciso said. “They can take the death of limbs up to 1 inch in diameter, but you get into losing 4-inch limbs, you’re effectively crowning the tree. That’s not good.”

Some warm-season crops like potatoes and watermelons and early planted corn and sorghum will also be affected, he said....

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

My one young calf escaped the weather and appears doing fine.

One of my neighbors was not so lucky and lost 4 newborn calves.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

My one young calf escaped the weather and appears doing fine.

One of my neighbors was not so lucky and lost 4 newborn calves.

I am guessing, we will first see beef prices lower a little, as cows are sold off because ranchers cannot afford to feed them.  I was blessed to find this week my normal supplier was willing to deliver a full load of hay with no increase in prices.  But then he also told me I was the last he was going to sell to.  He is worried about his own herd and the ability to feed them with the pastures in such poor condition.  This likely knocked spring growth back 2 months.  He figures he will get one less cutting of hay this year on fields.

But later this year, we will see beef prices climbing.

I am guessing, we will first see beef prices lower a little, as cows are sold off because ranchers cannot afford to feed them.  I was blessed to find this week my normal supplier was willing to deliver a full load of hay with no increase in prices.  But then he also told me I was the last he was going to sell to.  He is worried about his own herd and the ability to feed them with the pastures in such poor condition.  This likely knocked spring growth back 2 months.  He figures he will get one less cutting of hay this year on fields.

But later this year, we will see beef prices climbing.
Hope can find hay.

During the terrible drought of 2011 I had to sell off cattle as we had no grass.  Wound up purchasing hay brought in from Alabama
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

Hope can find hay.

During the terrible drought of 2011 I had to sell off cattle as we had no grass.  Wound up purchasing hay brought in from Alabama

I suggest finding some immediately before the local supply that is left is taken.  I warned my neighbors, immediately after getting my delivery.  Having a supplier you regularly purchase from, may put you ahead of the line of those searching new suppliers.

I suggest finding some immediately before the local supply that is left is taken.  I warned my neighbors, immediately after getting my delivery.  Having a supplier you regularly purchase from, may put you ahead of the line of those searching new suppliers.
Yes.  May have to look out past where the freeze occurred in order to find stock on hand.

Cattle eat a lot more hay during really cold weather as it is used to produce body heat to combat freezing.

Offline thackney

Yes.  May have to look out past where the freeze occurred in order to find stock on hand.

Cattle eat a lot more hay during really cold weather as it is used to produce body heat to combat freezing.

We kept the horses and cows with all the hay they could eat for that reason.  We also doubled up on the feed/grains started days before the storm.

Offline thackney

I am so glad this little one arrived yesterday and not two weeks earlier.