Author Topic: High electricity cost drives German high-tech industry to Asia  (Read 316 times)

rangerrebew

High electricity cost drives German high-tech industry to Asia
« on: February 23, 2021, 08:00:16 pm »
High electricity cost drives German high-tech industry to Asia

Date: 23/02/21

Siltronic, one of the world’s leading chip makers, is moving Germany’s top high-tech company to Asia.

Siltronic boss Christoph von Plotho blames Germany’s high energy costs for the decision: “The high electricity price makes the location unattractive,” he said in an interview with the Handelsblatt. His company pays “less than half the electricity price” in Singapore.

The main cost driver in Germany is the green energy levy under the Renewable Energy Sources Act (EEG) which has cost energy consumers more than 30 billion euros last year.

Germany’s largest semiconductor producer Infineon told Handelsblatt that insecure power supply was also a major factor in reconsidering industrial production in Germany and Europe.

Chipmakers lament high taxes and levies on electricity in Germany

https://www.thegwpf.com/green-suicide-high-electricity-costs-drive-german-high-tech-to-asia/

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Re: High electricity cost drives German high-tech industry to Asia
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 01:43:08 am »
China's electricity comes from burning coal, releasing greenhouse warming gases like CO2.  Which apparently makes Texas colder.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 07:59:40 am »
Which makes one wonder why the Germans didn't move to a free country? There ought to be one left somewhere on the planet.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 11:47:08 pm »
I could be mistaken, but I'll reckon the Germans still have plenty of coal left to mine.
Why aren't they using it...?