Author Topic: Democrats urge IRS to extend tax-filing season  (Read 368 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrats urge IRS to extend tax-filing season
« on: February 19, 2021, 12:48:12 am »
Democrats urge IRS to extend tax-filing season
By Naomi Jagoda - 02/18/21 06:25 PM EST

A group of Democrats on the House Ways and Means Committee on Thursday urged the IRS to extend the tax-filing season beyond the current April 15 deadline in light of the coronavirus pandemic.

"It has come to our attention that, due to the ongoing pandemic, many Americans continue to face the same challenges that necessitated extending the filing season last year," the lawmakers wrote in a letter to IRS Commissioner Charles Rettig.

Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.), chairman of the Ways and Means Committee's oversight subcommittee, took the lead on the letter, and seven other Democrats on the committee also signed it. The letter comes after the oversight subcommittee held a hearing earlier Thursday about free tax-preparation services during the pandemic, during which some of the witnesses said an extension of the filing season could be warranted.

The IRS extended the deadline for filing and paying taxes last year from April 15 to July 15 because of the pandemic. An agency official told reporters last week that the IRS does not currently have plans to take similar action this year. As is typical, people can request six-month extensions to file their returns.

The Democratic lawmakers said last year's extended due date provided valuable relief, and that an extension would again be helpful again this year.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/539506-democrats-urge-irs-to-extend-tax-filing-season
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Re: Democrats urge IRS to extend tax-filing season
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 12:53:06 am »
I've a better idea:

Move the tax filing deadline to Halloween.

More or less a week before we get to vote on the people writing the tax laws.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 08:00:19 am »
The tax people say, even though you didn't get this last stimulus money last year, they money must be paid for receiving it last year any way.  Democrats are desperate to keep every penny they can away from the earning American tax payer.  Pay your taxes on money you haven't received, and on the year before you received it.  demorats in power, THANK A NEVER TRUMPER

Blame government for what democrats do?  NOT ME, LET democrats pay the full price for what they do
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 08:02:10 am by christian »
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 11:26:32 pm »
christian wrote:
"The tax people say, even though you didn't get this last stimulus money last year, they money must be paid for receiving it last year any way."

Not sure what you're talking about here.

The $1,200 and $600 stimulus payments are not "reportable as income" on 2020 tax returns (assuming one received them).

In fact, if you didn't receive one or both of them, you may qualify for something called the "recovery rebate credit" (1040 line 30). See the worksheet on page 59 of the instructions for Form 1040...

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 11:35:22 pm »
deleted (double post when the server went down!)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 12:09:01 am by Fishrrman »

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 11:48:29 pm »
 :bkmk:

Online libertybele

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 11:56:05 pm »
I did our taxes a couple of days ago.     :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 10:29:21 am »
My daughter had her taxes by a CPA tax attorney a few days ago.  i thought others might be able to tell if they have had the same experience.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions