Author Topic: Texas husband froze to death in his recliner: report  (Read 302 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas husband froze to death in his recliner: report
« on: February 20, 2021, 01:28:41 am »
Fox News By David Aaro 2/19/2021

At least three dozen people have died while trying to keep warm

A Texas man froze to death in his reclining chair Wednesday, according to a report.

The unidentified man was found dead, with his wife "nearly dead" at his side, after their Abilene home lost power during the winter storm that has battered the state, said Josh Casey, president of Abilene Fresh, a nonprofit food hub.

Casey said the wife was receiving medical care at a local hospital but was "still in peril."

You guys read that? A man FROZE TO DEATH under our collective noses. In Abilene! I don't even know what to do with this information. Except to check on my immediate neighbors," he wrote on Facebook Thursday.

Farmer Josh Casey
on Thursday

Please go check on your neighbors. A man froze to death in his recliner yesterday. His wife was beside him nearly dead. She is in the hospital still in peril. They had no power

You guys read that? A man FROZE TO DEATH under our collective noses. In Abilene! I don't even know what to do with this information. Except to check on my immediate neighbors.

If we all do it maybe we stop this from happening. I don't know any solution for anything really right now. Except people freezing to death near me is not ok. Not ok. Not ok........

"I don't know any solution for anything really right now," Casey wrote. "Except people freezing to death near me is not ok. Not ok. Not ok."

Abilene is about 180 miles southwest of Dallas.

More: https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-husband-froze-to-death-in-his-recliner-during-winter-storm-report

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Texas husband froze to death in his recliner: report
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 01:33:29 am »
Okay, I'll admit it.  I read the article hoping to learn the man was 110 years old with 12 comorbidities.

No demographic info was included.   :crying:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 01:42:49 am »
Okay, I'll admit it.  I read the article hoping to learn the man was 110 years old with 12 comorbidities.

No demographic info was included.   :crying:

NY Post By Lia Eustachewich

https://nypost.com/2021/02/19/texas-man-freezes-to-death-in-recliner-amid-frigid-weather/

A Texas man reportedly “froze to death” in his recliner amid the freezing temperatures sweeping through the region.

The 60-year-old victim, who was not identified, was found dead in his chair on Wednesday after his home in Abilene lost power for three days, one of three people to die in that city, KTXS 12 reported.

The man’s wife, 72, was taken to the hospital.

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 01:43:51 am »
3 weather-related deaths in Abilene including man who 'froze to death' in his home
https://ktxs.com/news/local/three-weather-related-deaths-in-abilene

Three people died in Abilene due to the extreme cold this week, including a man who froze to death in his home.

Abilene Fire Chief Cande Flores said he first death was a homeless man who died from exposure to the elements.

According to Justice of the Peace Sparky Dean, the 67-year-old man was found dead about 6 a.m. Monday at the corner of Walnut and N 6th streets.

Dean said police told him the man had refused help from both them and family members....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 02:22:08 am »

On Wednesday, a 60-year-old man was found dead in his home in north Abilene.

The victim's wife said they had not had power for three days.

AFD crews noted the temperature inside the home felt as cold as the temperature outside.

The wife. 72, was taken to the hospital.

The third victim died Wednesday at a "local medical facility."

Flores said the facility was unable to provide necessary treatment due to the loss of water pressure.

The patient was scheduled for a transfer to another local facility but died before they got there.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 04:20:40 am »
3 weather-related deaths in Abilene including man who 'froze to death' in his home
Three people died in Abilene due to the extreme cold this week, including a man who froze to death in his home.  Abilene Fire Chief Cande Flores said he first death was a homeless man who died from exposure to the elements.  According to Justice of the Peace Sparky Dean, the 67-year-old man was found dead about 6 a.m. Monday at the corner of Walnut and N 6th streets. Dean said police told him the man had refused help from both them and family members....
@thackney

Abilene is west Texas to me as I grew up in east Texas.  The State Republican Party sent me to Abilene to teach Texas Election Code to Republican officials.  A state Republican woman drove me to numerous counties and this was the only one that far west. Really, Abilene is considered a part of west Texas.  Abilene is mostly flat land; from arid to semi-arid.  Water and rain is precious there.

I heard of the man in Abilene who died in his house with wife almost dead, but I read he was in the bed when he died.  Your report says he was in his recliner.  One reason I mention this is there is also a report of an 11 yr. old boy who died in his bed while his brother was also in the bed but he was okay.  The mother said she had both boys under blankets.  The one who died had played in the snow that day.

More people are going to be found dead.  I think one place with dead bodies will be apartment buildings.  Another place will be homes far apart or farms miles apart with no one to check on them. 

Here is a list of west Texas cities - Abilene is one of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Texas#Cities_and_towns_of_West_Texas