Author Topic: Massive winter storm prompts disaster declaration and could stress Texas' electricity grid  (Read 4663 times)

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Prayers for all in Texas. Stay warm and safe. ❤️
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Victoria33

@Gefn

Denton County, north of Dallas, 8:03 a.m., Monday, 5 degrees.  Wind chills, -16. Still have power.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 02:09:53 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline thackney

WINTER STORM UPDATE: More than 2 million Texans are without power
https://ktrh.iheart.com/content/2021-02-15-winter-storm-update-ercot-starts-rotating-power-outages/

...We are seeing some outages around the area; in fact more than 2.3 million Texans have no power as of 8am. ERCOT has declared an "energy emergency alert three," that means there are rotating power outages. Electric demand is very high and supplies can't keep up....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
No power
8 degrees
Wind chill -15
More snow coming
Plenty of heat food booze tobacco and emergency light
No real issues so far
Should last most of this week
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Victoria33

No power
8 degrees
Wind chill -15
More snow coming
No real issues so far
@240B

Where in Texas are you?

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Could really use just a little of that Global Warming right now.

Hope Al Gore and Gretta are freezing their asses off!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Woke up to 8 degrees and about 7 inches of snow that fell overnight. Hearing about rolling blackouts happening around the area but haven't had one here yet (knock on wood). Currently it's sunny, but the temperature isn't expected to go above freezing until later in the week (Wednesday maybe?)  So, the snow will stay on the ground (and the roads) for several days. My location is just north of Austin (in what used to be a little town named Round Rock).
Let it burn.

Offline Victoria33

All:

There is a website for our large subdivision.  I do not post on it but read posts some time.  Due to the weather, I punched on it to see what people around us were doing.

This lady should have considered preparing her pool last week before we were socked in by ice/snow/5 degrees.  Here is her post - do you guys have an answer to what she should do NOW, or is she stuck in limbo with her pool?  (This is our subdivision and she says there are blackouts - we have not had blackouts.)

"Swimming Pool during Rolling Blackouts. I need some advice on what to do during the rolling blackout with my pool.  I know I am not the only one so I need some kind of reassurance so I can stop the worry.  I called CoServ which told me that the time for the Blackouts have now been increased to 30 to 45 minutes instead of the 15 minutes when they first started them.  worried."
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 03:38:43 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Victoria33

Woke up to 8 degrees and about 7 inches of snow that fell overnight. Hearing about rolling blackouts happening around the area but haven't had one here yet (knock on wood). Currently it's sunny, but the temperature isn't expected to go above freezing until later in the week (Wednesday maybe?)  So, the snow will stay on the ground (and the roads) for several days. My location is just north of Austin (in what used to be a little town named Round Rock).
@Ghost Bear

Been to Round Rock many times in my life.  Dell Computer Co. was in Round Rock, imagine they are still there.  I went there one time and had them build a computer for me.  So, they dumped the name "Round Rock" - did not know that.

Temps in Texas will not have above freezing temp. until this coming Friday.  Some people in our area saying they are having rolling blackouts but we have not had one - yet.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Day one is behind us with no apparent damage.  11 degrees for a low this morning and about 6" of snow on the ground.  All is well so far.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
There was a nice family in my neighborhood growing up that had a pool. After being flooded too many times by  Sim's Bayou they let it go natural. Kids would fish in it, after asking for permission first.

Offline libertybele

No power
8 degrees
Wind chill -15
More snow coming
No real issues so far

As long as you are able to stay warm is a good thing -- glad things are going well so far for you.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Idiot

It’s 4 degrees at 10 am.  All of our local tv stations are off the air.  We are now having rolling blackouts.  My electricity has stayed on so far.

Offline libertybele

Continued prayers for fellow TX Briefers.  I can't believe the cold you are getting.  I visited my brother when he lived in Irving many years ago in Dec., and there was a cold snap that lasted for a couple of days, but this is crazy cold!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Idiot

@Ghost Bear

Been to Round Rock many times in my life.  Dell Computer Co. was in Round Rock, imagine they are still there.  I went there one time and had them build a computer for me.  So, they dumped the name "Round Rock" - did not know that.

Temps in Texas will not have above freezing temp. until this coming Friday.  Some people in our area saying they are having rolling blackouts but we have not had one - yet.
They need to put anti freeze in their pump leaf filter and surge the pump a couple of times to get it in the filter as well.

When they start the pool back in warmer weather then start the pool by flushing it all down the waste/drain.

Offline Victoria33

All:
@Gefn

10 am, Denton County, Dallas County, Tarrant (Fort Worth area).
Saw some power outages and grabbed these, 241,000 in Dallas, no power; 305,000 in Fort Worth, no power.  14 below wind chill.

Reporters are staying in a hotel on northside of Fort Worth and water line in hotel broke, lobby is full of water and no power.  This is the first report I have seen about significant water pipes breaking.  Sure there will be more today and tomorrow.  Don't see how these pipes could be fixed quickly - not going to happen.

Gefn:  I put Prissy's warm sweater on her so she is warm in the house during the day.  She is so little her body is close to the floor and it is colder on the floor so the sweater keeps her body warm.  She sleeps with us all the time, so she will not get cold during the night.  When we opened the back door, she barked because the ground was white, not it's usual darker color.  She would not walk on that white stuff called snow.

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Victoria33

They need to put anti freeze in their pump leaf filter and surge the pump a couple of times to get it in the filter as well.

When they start the pool back in warmer weather then start the pool by flushing it all down the waste/drain.
@mrpotatohead

Thank you; I will get that on the subdivision website.

Offline libertybele

All:
@Gefn

10 am, Denton County, Dallas County, Tarrant (Fort Worth area).
Saw some power outages and grabbed these, 241,000 in Dallas, no power; 305,000 in Fort Worth, no power.  14 below wind chill.

Reporters are staying in a hotel on northside of Fort Worth and water line in hotel broke, lobby is full of water and no power.  This is the first report I have seen about significant water pipes breaking.  Sure there will be more today and tomorrow.  Don't see how these pipes could be fixed quickly - not going to happen.

Gefn:  I put Prissy's warm sweater on her so she is warm in the house during the day.  She is so little her body is close to the floor and it is colder on the floor so the sweater keeps her body warm.  She sleeps with us all the time, so she will not get cold during the night.  When we opened the back door, she barked because the ground was white, not it's usual darker color.  She would not walk on that white stuff called snow.

Thanks for the reports @Victoria 33.  This reminds me of the time when we lived in MI and visited FL during Easter.  We came back to an ice storm and we had no power for a couple of days.  Luckily we had a wood stove to keep us nice and warm and wound up putting some of the food outside to keep cold.

Prissy sounds like a character...too funny. What kind of dog is she?  Even in FL my daughter's puppy (8 mos. old) hates the colder temps and she won't go outside without her sweater -- and she sleeps under the blankets.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
@Ghost Bear

Yes, Dell is still here, and the town is still called Round Rock.  But the town isn't little any more.  :laugh:
Let it burn.

Offline Victoria33

Thanks for the reports @Victoria 33.  This reminds me of the time when we lived in MI Prissy sounds like a character...too funny. What kind of dog is she?  Even in FL my daughter's puppy (8 mos. old) hates the colder temps and she won't go outside without her sweater -- and she sleeps under the blankets.
@libertybele

Prissy is 7 lb. Yorkie.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Not hearing about any power outages in my area.  18F, still a few flurries, and about a half inch of sleet/snow mix.  Maybe an 1/8 inch of ice. Really big news and worry, is we may be seeing single digits here tonight for the first time since 1989.

Just got a call that Entergy may be enacting rolling black outs here as well due to energy demands.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Offline mountaineer

Texans Forced To Cut Open Cattle With Lightsabers And Climb Inside For Warmth
February 15th, 2021

HOUSTON, TX—Texans are struggling to keep warm amid a cold snap that has brought arctic temperatures to the region. Left with no other options, many Texans are being forced to cut open cattle with lightsabers and crawl inside to stay warm.

One rancher and his ranch hand were forced to take these drastic measures when temperatures approached the level of springtime in Ohio and his horse froze before he reached the first marker.

"This steer really smells bad kid," said the rancher to his shivering ranch hand. He then cut open the cow's carcass and encouraged his employee to crawl into the warm, steamy entrails. "But it'll keep y'all warm until I get the shelter up." ...
Babylon Bee
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org