Author Topic: Hundreds of Scientists Write To Biden To Stop Dirty Biomass Industry  (Read 417 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Not a Lot of People Know That by By Paul Homewood h/t Robin Guenier

I have been covering the scandal of burning forests for power, only made possible by obscene subsidies and EU rules that class it as “zero carbon”.

I am pleased to see that several hundred scientists have now written to Biden von der Leyen and others, objecting to the practice on scientific rather than environmental grounds:

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.files.wordpress.com/2021/02/image-103.png

Their basic argument is that the new biomass industry is not sustained by offcuttings, as claimed, but by wholly new harvesting. As I have been arguing, it could take decades for the carbon dioxide released from burning to be offset by regrowth. And that assumes that these forests will be replaced, an unlikely scenario.

In the meantime of course, more trees will be chopped down for burning, leaving a permanent “carbon debt”. As they point out, burning wood for power is far more carbon intensive than coal or gas, as it has a lower energy content.

Worse still, more than half of the wood is lost in harvesting and processing, long before it reaches the power station, adding carbon dioxide to the atmosphere without even replacing fossil fuels. (They might also have mentioned the emissions resulting from processing and shipping).

More: https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2021/02/11/hundreds-of-scientists-write-to-biden-to-stop-dirty-biomass-industry/

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Re: Hundreds of Scientists Write To Biden To Stop Dirty Biomass Industry
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 03:41:10 pm »
I can see Europe burning up their forests for energy...that's going to happen anyway when, after Biden forces Europe to buy Russian natural gas, Putin gets to turn off their heat in winter...but the United States as trillions of cubic feet of natural gas, centuries worth of coal, billions and billions of barrels of oil...how could it possibly be economical to use something as inefficient as wood to make electricity?
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.