Author Topic: “We Cannot Mince Words”: San Francisco Education Official Denounces Meritocracy As Racist  (Read 661 times)

rangerrebew

“We Cannot Mince Words”: San Francisco Education Official Denounces Meritocracy As Racist

Alison Collins, the Vice President of the San Francisco Board of Education, has declared meritocracy to be racist even in the selection of students at advanced or gifted programs. As we have previously discussed, this has been a building campaign in academia as educators and others denounce selection based on academic performance through testing. At issue in San Francisco is Lowell High School where top students were selected through testing and grades.  Most cities have such gifted programs or institutions, though we have discussed calls for the elimination of all gifted and talented programs in cities like New York.  Lowell had a majority of white and Asian students and only two percent of its student body were African-Americans. Collins and other board members want to abolish the merit-based selection in favor of a blind lottery system.

Collins’ remarks from a San Francisco Board of Education public meeting in October 13, 2020 were only recently posted by Sophie Bearman of San Francisco’s online publication Here/Say Media. In the meeting, she declared “When we talk about merit, meritocracy and especially meritocracy based on standardized testing…those are racist systems.… You can’t talk about social justice, and then say you want to have a selective school that keeps certain kids out from the neighborhoods that you think are dangerous.”

https://jonathanturley.org/2021/02/07/we-cannot-mince-words-san-francisco-education-official-denounces-meritocracy-as-racist/

rangerrebew

The board obviously doesn't see it and neither does the paper, but calling meritocracy "racist," they are admitting blacks are educationally inferior to whites and Asians.  Why else even raise the issue? :shrug:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

To not demand excellence from students is the ultimate non-educational action.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline cato potatoe

One caucasian on a seven member board does not strike me as equitable. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The board obviously doesn't see it and neither does the paper, but calling meritocracy "racist," they are admitting blacks are educationally inferior to whites and Asians.  Why else even raise the issue? :shrug:
Either that or they are condemning POCs on a basis of skin color.

Fix the culture and the rest will follow.

Blame other cultures, and nothing will improve.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Merit is the only thing that matters.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
So a San Fransissyco Education Official declares that minorities aren't good enough to compete honestly.

I used fewer words because I don't have a PhD.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't

They declared that when they introduced the "Let's Have State Sanctioned Racism" Proposition last selection.

Fortunately it failed miserably.  Apparently not all Rodents are quite stupid enough to drink ALL the Kool-Aid.  But they do like the flavor.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline PeteS in CA

IKR? My dream is that these school board morons will find their lives dependent on nurses who are illiterate and Math-inept ("Milligrams and micrograms are the same thing, right?") and unable to form intelligible English sentences.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline PeteS in CA

So a San Fransissyco Education Official declares that minorities aren't good enough to compete honestly.

I used fewer words because I don't have a PhD.

Not Piled High and Deep? ****drummer
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Online roamer_1

IKR? My dream is that these school board morons will find their lives dependent on nurses who are illiterate and Math-inept ("Milligrams and micrograms are the same thing, right?") and unable to form intelligible English sentences.

While I feel ya, it would serve no purpose... All it would do is confirm their victimhood and affirm their opinion wrt the ignorance of the working class... That ignorance would no doubt be blamed upon the nurses with every 'justification'.   :shrug: :whistle:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
“We Cannot Mince Words”: San Francisco Education Official Denounces Meritocracy As Racist

Alison Collins, the Vice President of the San Francisco Board of Education, has declared meritocracy to be racist even in the selection of students at advanced or gifted programs.

@rangerrebew

What they are doing is admitting and codifying as fact that "Blacks can't compete on a level playing field."

That would be ok and expected if it were the KKK saying that,but having the black "intellectual elites" saying it and wanting to make it the law of the land really reinforces the things the Kluxxers have been saying  for 100+ years.

Blacks must be SOOOO proud of their "intellectual leadership",who are entirely comprised by Affirmative Action promotions and positions!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The board obviously doesn't see it and neither does the paper, but calling meritocracy "racist," they are admitting blacks are educationally inferior to whites and Asians. Why else even raise the issue? :shrug:

@rangerrebew

BINGO!

Even worse,they are stigmatizing as well as hindering the advancement of the hard-working blacks who DO have the intellectual "tools" to make it on their own by demanding fools be promoted ahead of them.

You really have to have sympathy for the hard-working blacks who are capable of making it on their own,but can't because they are being held back by people like this holding all the leadership positions.

Their problem ain't "Whitey". Their problem is "Darky".

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline PeteS in CA

While I feel ya, it would serve no purpose... All it would do is confirm their victimhood and affirm their opinion wrt the ignorance of the working class... That ignorance would no doubt be blamed upon the nurses with every 'justification'.   :shrug: :whistle:

But SF would have a few less racist morons.

Online andy58-in-nh

For years, I have been telling you all that we are engaged in a War on Value, and also a War on Reality.

The problem is that only one side is truly fighting, and whenever someone is brave enough to stand up to the SJW mob, they are viciously attacked, falsely accused, and increasingly, "canceled".

Our culture and social institutions are dominated by disgraceful people with poisonous agendas who are uninterested in discussion or debate, but in one thing alone: Power.

Any effective defense of Western values and culture is going to necessitate a battle for control of not only the government, but our schools, news media, and arts and entertainment establishments.

Truth must be spoken: "social justice" isn't justice at all: it's a cage in which to keep humans as far away as possible from achievement and ambition.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online roamer_1

For years, I have been telling you all that we are engaged in a War on Value, and also a War on Reality.

The problem is that only one side is truly fighting, and whenever someone is brave enough to stand up to the SJW mob, they are viciously attacked, falsely accused, and increasingly, "canceled".

Our culture and social institutions are dominated by disgraceful people with poisonous agendas who are uninterested in discussion or debate, but in one thing alone: Power.

Any effective defense of Western values and culture is going to necessitate a battle for control of not only the government, but our schools, news media, and arts and entertainment establishments.

Truth must be spoken: "social justice" isn't justice at all: it's a cage in which to keep humans as far away as possible from achievement and ambition.

You can preach that! But you're preaching to the choir. The only thing that will fix this is when folks finally get fed up and start defending the principles they claim to stand upon. And the time is increasingly short.