Author Topic: The Bowie Knife Will Soon be Officially named the State Knife of Texas  (Read 312 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
All Outdoor by Luke Cuenco   02.05.21

The legendary Bowie knife is soon to become the official state knife of Texas according to a recently introduced resolution which is a companion resolution that would have made the Bowie knife the State knife of Texas if it hadn’t been vetoed by Governor Greg Abbott. However, the governor doesn’t actually oppose the resolution but in fact, supports it. The resolution originally passed with bipartisan support back in 2019 but was vetoed due to an obvious historical error.

“At the time, Gov. Abbott said, “This is the kind of resolution that a Texas Governor would sign without thinking,” Abbott said in his official veto statement. “So, as a thinking Governor, I think it best not to sign a factually incorrect resolution and instead to allow the Legislature to consider this next session.”

“Abbott’s statement continued, “Fortunately, with a little thinking and study, it was learned that a statement contained in the resolution is factually incorrect: it identifies the location of Jim Bowie’s ‘Sandbar Fight’ as ‘near Natchez, Louisiana,’ when in fact the fight occurred near Natchez, Mississippi.”

Despite being vetoed, the resolution is expected to once again move forward with bipartisan support much like the first time. Governor Abbott was presented with his own Bowie knife back in 2017 after he signed a bill that made it legal to openly carry a Bowie knife in Texas. The knife given to Governor Abbott was forged by Texas knifemaker Jason Fry who is a sixth-generation Texan and runs Fry Custom Knives.

More: https://www.alloutdoor.com/2021/02/05/bowie-knife-texas/

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: The Bowie Knife Will Soon be Officially named the State Knife of Texas
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 05:49:13 pm »
I gave a Bowie Knife to my son for Christmas one year. Of course he took it to school to show all his pals what he got. I freaked when he told me, but it was cool. Now he's a Longsword competitor and has quite a knife, sword, axe, spear collection.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 02:04:41 am »
I am a distant relative of Jim Bowie.

Wish I had his original knife he carried.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 02:17:48 am »
I am a distant relative of Jim Bowie.

Wish I had his original knife he carried.

That would be quite a "Hand Me Down"!

You made me look. I'm not descended and I'm 14 Degrees away via WikiTree. Not even close.