Author Topic: Godiva is closing or selling all of its stores in the United States  (Read 566 times)

Offline libertybele

Now ... we know things are getting worse!  No more Godiva chocolate.

Godiva is closing or selling all of its stores in the United States

Luxury chocolatier Godiva is getting out of the brick and mortar business.
The company is closing or selling all 128 of its brick-and-mortar stores in North America, it announced in a statement. It plans to complete the closures and sales by the end of March.
Godiva will keep its stores open across Europe, Middle East and Greater China. The company did not disclose information on how many employees would be let go because of the closures.
Less than two years ago, Godiva was planning a massive expansion by getting into the cafe business. The chocolatier opened its first cafe in the United States in New York City in April 2019 and announced that it planned on opening 10 more cafes in New York and more than 400 across the United States. It was part of a plan to open 2,000 new cafes around the world.

But that plan never came to fruition...........

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/24/business/godiva-closing-us-stores/index.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

BassWrangler

Re: Godiva is closing or selling all of its stores in the United States
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 09:49:25 pm »
I think I once visited a Godiva shop in San Francisco, in the Fishermans Wharf area. I'm actually surprised they've managed to stay open as long as they have. It's up there with the "Scotch Boutique" in terms of business models.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 10:06:56 pm »
I think I once visited a Godiva shop in San Francisco, in the Fishermans Wharf area. I'm actually surprised they've managed to stay open as long as they have. It's up there with the "Scotch Boutique" in terms of business models.

I've had other chocolates that the quality is equal to or better than Godiva and not as pricey. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

BassWrangler

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 10:09:08 pm »
I've had other chocolates that the quality is equal to or better than Godiva and not as pricey.

I found their chocolate to be stale. For good chocolate, I really like a local place, it's about 4 miles from my house. I only get to eat it around Christmas time, but it's really good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 10:23:54 pm »
I found their chocolate to be stale. For good chocolate, I really like a local place, it's about 4 miles from my house. I only get to eat it around Christmas time, but it's really good.

I prefer dark chocolate with at least 70% cocoa or more; Godiva just doesn't meet the taste that I prefer anymore.  Sure they add different flavors to their chocolates but I prefer just plain dark chocolate.  Lindt makes dark chocolate bars with 85% cocoa with no soy lethicin.  Strictly chocolate, cocoa powder, cocoa butter, demerara sugar, and bourbon vanilla beans.

There's a place just around the corner that makes great chocolates with different flavors that we eat once in awhile, but I prefer really dark chocolate.  Then there's a city north of here that makes fudge ... dark chocolate fudge with almonds, or walnuts or peanut butter, that's pretty hard to beat if you're in the mood for fudge.

BassWrangler

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 10:54:14 pm »
I prefer dark chocolate with at least 70% cocoa or more; Godiva just doesn't meet the taste that I prefer anymore.  Sure they add different flavors to their chocolates but I prefer just plain dark chocolate.  Lindt makes dark chocolate bars with 85% cocoa with no soy lethicin.  Strictly chocolate, cocoa powder, cocoa butter, demerara sugar, and bourbon vanilla beans.

There's a place just around the corner that makes great chocolates with different flavors that we eat once in awhile, but I prefer really dark chocolate.  Then there's a city north of here that makes fudge ... dark chocolate fudge with almonds, or walnuts or peanut butter, that's pretty hard to beat if you're in the mood for fudge.

check out these guys. Very pricey, though:

https://boehmscandies.com/

Offline mortarman

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 01:04:52 am »
I prefer Moser Roth Chocolates. It's the house brand at Aldi's an' much cheaper.

:pop41:
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

BassWrangler

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 01:11:01 am »
I prefer Moser Roth Chocolates. It's the house brand at Aldi's an' much cheaper.

:pop41:

No Aldi’s here, unfortunately.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 01:48:43 am »
Dang it! I've never been to one and it must be a "Family Business". Lady Godiva of Mercia was my 29th great-grandmother.