Author Topic: Romney: It Is Constitutional to Continue with Impeachment After Trump Left Office  (Read 606 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Romney: It Is Constitutional to Continue with Impeachment After Trump Left Office

Pam Key 24 Jan 2021

Senator Mitt Romney (R-UT) said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union” that it was constitutional to continue with the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump even after he has left the office of the presidency.

Anchor Dana Bash asked, “Many of your colleagues, I’m sure you’ve heard, argue that it’s not constitutional to convict a president who is no longer in office. Do you agree with that? ”

Romney said, “Well, I’ve read a number of law review articles, and I think if you put aside the partisan columns if you will written in various publications and look at those that are written by academics, you’ll find that the preponderance of the legal opinion is that an impeachment trial after someone has left office is constitutional. I believe that’s the case. I’ll, of course, hear what the lawyers have to say for each side, but I think it’s pretty clear that the effort is constitutional.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2021/01/24/romney-it-is-constitutional-to-continue-with-impeachment-after-trump-left-office/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Romney said, “Well, I’ve read a number of law review articles

Try reading the Constitution!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Try reading the Constitution!

That would never occur to him!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Another Constitutional law expert that doesn't know a damn thing about it. Romney 'I'm not a Constitution expert but I read a few reviews and  I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night'

BassWrangler

This guy....

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
The folks with TDS are determined to destroy him every which way they can. 

Romney the Rat wants to run again.  I suspect even if Trump decides to run in 2024, Romney will also declare he is running. 

Expect him to vote to impeach Trump.  Hopefully, his primary challenger kicks him in the teeth at the election box.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Romney the Rat wants to run again.  I suspect even if Trump decides to run in 2024, Romney will also declare he is running. 

Expect him to vote to impeach Trump.  Hopefully, his primary challenger kicks him in the teeth at the election box.

Romney's up for reelection to the Senate in 2024 @jafo2010   He'll probably have to choose which office to run for.

BassWrangler

Agree about TDS sufferers, but I don't think that's Romney's problem. Romney is on a personal vendetta, plain and simple. This, more than anything I've seen, shows that he is unfit to lead anything larger than a girl scout troop.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The chances are much greater Mitt will jump to the Dems rather than running for POTUS again.

No one Democrat or GOP will then respect a jumper.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline jafo2010

No, he is running for POTUS in 2024.  He has a hero complex, and thinks he will rescue the Republican Party.  And if Trump does create a third party, Romney has a real shot to win the GOP primary.

And if Trump does create a third party, I hope Romney wins the GOP nomination.  I can't think of a better candidate that would encourage devote Republicans to vote for a 3rd party candidate named Trump!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 01:56:46 am by jafo2010 »

BassWrangler

No, he is running for POTUS in 2024.  He has a hero complex, and thinks he will rescue the Republican Party.  And if Trump does create a third party, Romney has a real shot to win the GOP primary.

And if Trump does create a third party, I hope Romney wins the GOP nomination.  I can't think of a better candidate that would encourage devote Republicans to vote for a 3rd party candidate named Trump!

This seems highly implausible. Do we have any examples at all of a presidential loser running again and winning?

Offline jafo2010

Off the top of my head, Richard Nixon lost in 1960, came back and won in 1968.

I not suggesting Romney would win.  Zero chance of that happening.  And with three parties running, Trump's chances would be reduced, unless the Dems abandon the Dem candidate, but I do not see it happening.  A third party would only guarantee the Dem candidate winning.

Offline Mesaclone

This seems highly implausible. Do we have any examples at all of a presidential loser running again and winning?

The answer is: Grover Cleveland
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Romney ought to argue his case.

He has a dual degree. JD-MBA.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Hoodat

Romney said, “Well, I’ve read a number of law review articles, and I think if you put aside the partisan columns if you will written in various publications and look at those that are written by academics, you’ll find that the preponderance of the legal opinion is that an impeachment trial after someone has left office is constitutional. I believe that’s the case. I’ll, of course, hear what the lawyers have to say for each side, but I think it’s pretty clear that the effort is constitutional.”

Perhaps Romney should cut out the middleman and read the actual Constitution himself.  He's a lawyer.  He should be able to understand something written by a bunch of farmers, merchants, etc.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
And to think Bernie  wearing the mittens is trending.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Hoodat

The answer is: Grover Cleveland

Grover Cleveland was a decent President, too.  There was a case where Congress tried to appropriate federal money to the widow of a military veteran whose husband had committed suicide.  Cleveland vetoed the bill stating that it was not the federal government's job to hand out money like that.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-