Author Topic: Democrats float 14th Amendment to bar Trump from office  (Read 132 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrats float 14th Amendment to bar Trump from office
« on: January 23, 2021, 12:10:01 am »
Democrats float 14th Amendment to bar Trump from office
By Jordain Carney - 01/22/21 04:25 PM EST

Democrats are mulling whether they can use the 14th Amendment to prevent former President Trump from ever holding office again.

The discussions are in the early stages — and top members of the Senate caucus aren’t yet convinced it’s a viable remedy — but senators are exploring their options as they plot a strategy after Trump’s supporters stormed the Capitol.

“It’s an idea that’s out there that I think people are contemplating in the accountability space,” said Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.), who described himself as “quite confident” that Congress could act under the constitutional amendment.
ADVERTISEMENT

“I just want us to choose a path that maximizes focus on the Biden-Harris agenda,” Kaine added.

Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), who caveated that talk of the 14th Amendment was hypothetical, said it could be applied to Trump, with one mechanism being a resolution from Congress.

“The remedies of the 14th Amendment certainly may be appropriate for someone who incites an insurrection as Donald Trump did,” said Blumenthal, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), cautioned that it was early, but called using the 14th Amendment “certainly a possibility.”

“All of these are questions of first impression, in terms of constitutionality,” he added. “I certainly think there is a 14th Amendment avenue separate and aside from impeachment.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/535467-democrats-float-14th-amendment-to-bar-trump-from-office
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34