Author Topic: D.C. Mayor Bowser: Dem-Led House, Senate Will Pass D.C. Statehood, Bring it to Biden’s Desk  (Read 703 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
D.C. Mayor Bowser: Dem-Led House, Senate Will Pass D.C. Statehood, Bring it to Biden’s Desk

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Pam Key 22 Jan 2021

Washington D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser told  “Just the News” on Friday that the Democratic-led Senate and House will vote in favor of statehood for the District of Columbia and send the bill to President Joe Biden’s desk, who has expressed support for D.C. statehood in the past.

Bowser said, “The nation’s capital, the federal enclave, continues to exist as the nation’s capital and everything outside of those new boundaries becomes the 51st state. Our congresswoman – we had our first successful vote on statehood in the House of Representatives last year. She reintroduced the bill. She has a record number of sponsors.”

She continued, “It is going to be reintroduced in the Senate in a couple of weeks, and we expect to have a favorable vote in the Senate as well, and then it goes to the president of the United States. We have made a big focus to President Biden to support D.C. statehood and make it part of his 100-day agenda.”

She added, “Just like you, we pay the same federal taxes as every citizen of the fifty states of the U.S. expect we do not have two senators. We literally have no one to speak for us in the Senate. We have to have full representation.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2021/01/22/d-c-mayor-bowser-dem-led-house-senate-will-pass-d-c-statehood-bring-it-to-bidens-desk/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

BassWrangler

Isn't a constitutional amendment required for this?

Offline dfwgator

Just remember folks, a new State means a new Flag.

And you can bet there will be a push to get rid of the Stars and Stripes for a flag that "better reflects who we are."

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The bitch needs to read why the Founders decided DC was never meant to be a state. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

And you can bet there will be a push to get rid of the Stars and Stripes for a flag that "better reflects who we are."
Muriel and her pals probably would prefer something like this:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Why should they stop there?

Why not carve it up into 5 areas and make all five into states?

They appear to have no limits with their new power.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

That's what I thought..why let the constitution get in the way :shrug:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Hoodat

According to Article I, Section 8, making the District of Columbia a State would effectively remove its status as the nation's seat of government.

Congress has exclusive legislation over said District in all cases whatsoever - a power it does not have over any State.  So Washington is either a State, or it is the District designated as the seat of government.  It can't be both.  And without the seat of government, Washington becomes a slum city with no industry or economic might of any kind.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

According to Article I, Section 8, making the District of Columbia a State would effectively remove its status as the nation's seat of government.

Congress has exclusive legislation over said District in all cases whatsoever - a power it does not have over any State.  So Washington is either a State, or it is the District designated as the seat of government.  It can't be both.  And without the seat of government, Washington becomes a slum city with no industry or economic might of any kind.

I'm sure DC gets alot of special goodies for hosting the federal government which states aren't entitled to.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Here's Why Washington D.C. Isn't a State
BY TESSA BERENSON Time Magazine
 APRIL 15, 2016

But the lack of statehood for the capital is enshrined in the Constitution. Article 1, Section 8, Clause 17 of the document reads, “The Congress shall have Power To …exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States.”

James Madison outlined the reasoning behind this provision in Federalist 43, calling the arrangement an “indispensable necessity.” He wrote, “The indispensable necessity of complete authority at the seat of government, carries its own evidence with it… Without it, not only the public authority might be insulted and its proceedings interrupted with impunity; but a dependence of the members of the general government on the State comprehending the seat of the government, for protection in the exercise of their duty, might bring on the national councils an imputation of awe or influence, equally dishonorable to the government and dissatisfactory to the other members of the Confederacy.”

In other words, the founders worried that if the capital were to be a state, the members of the government would be unduly beholden to it. Madison envisioned that voting members of a D.C. state would be able to ‘insult’ or ‘interrupt’ the proceedings of government to get their way, simply by virtue of physical proximity to the halls of power.
https://time.com/4296175/washington-dc-statehoo
d-history/

If DC was a state, Congress does not have exclusive jurisdiction over DC, and therefore would violate the Consitution.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, they haven't yet.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Here's Why Washington D.C. Isn't a State
BY TESSA BERENSON Time Magazine
 APRIL 15, 2016

But the lack of statehood for the capital is enshrined in the Constitution. Article 1, Section 8, Clause 17 of the document reads, “The Congress shall have Power To …exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States.”

James Madison outlined the reasoning behind this provision in Federalist 43, calling the arrangement an “indispensable necessity.” He wrote, “The indispensable necessity of complete authority at the seat of government, carries its own evidence with it… Without it, not only the public authority might be insulted and its proceedings interrupted with impunity; but a dependence of the members of the general government on the State comprehending the seat of the government, for protection in the exercise of their duty, might bring on the national councils an imputation of awe or influence, equally dishonorable to the government and dissatisfactory to the other members of the Confederacy.”

In other words, the founders worried that if the capital were to be a state, the members of the government would be unduly beholden to it. Madison envisioned that voting members of a D.C. state would be able to ‘insult’ or ‘interrupt’ the proceedings of government to get their way, simply by virtue of physical proximity to the halls of power.
https://time.com/4296175/washington-dc-statehoo
d-history/

If DC was a state, Congress does not have exclusive jurisdiction over DC, and therefore would violate the Consitution.
No matter. The Cowards at SCOTUS would fail to grant cert over a lack of "standing".

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Democrat definition of the Constitution: An arachaic document that no longer applies to the modern world...........unless we can use it to get what we want or against Republicans.

Offline Smokin Joe

Hey, they violated the Constitution with the last election.

They violated it taking the oath of office ten minutes early (It says noon, not 11:50).

They want to impeach someone who is not in office.

What's the second illegal State? (Yes, folks, there is another).

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

C S Lewis