Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg: ‘Misguided’ Transportation Policies ‘Reinforce’ Racial Inequality  (Read 409 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pete Buttigieg: ‘Misguided’ Transportation Policies ‘Reinforce’ Racial Inequality

Charlie Spiering 21 Jan 2021

Former South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg promised to fight racial, economic, and environmental injustice during his Senate confirmation hearings for the Department of Transportation on Thursday.

“I also recognize that at their worst, misguided policies and missed opportunities in transportation can reinforce racial and economic inequality by dividing or isolating neighborhoods and undermining government’s basic role of empowering Americans to thrive,” Buttigieg said in his opening statement at the hearing. His remarks reflected a similar sentiment that he voiced in December when he was first nominated by Biden to join the administration.

Buttigieg cited his own efforts to launch a “smart streets” initiative in South Bend that “brought new life” into urban and underserved communities in the city as an example of good policy that should be imitated in the Biden administration.

“We got results by bringing people in, engaging stakeholders and residents, prioritizing limited funds effectively, and unlocking new resources to solve problems,” he said.

Buttigieg also defended Biden’s decision to kill the Keystone pipeline, despite ending thousands of American jobs.

“I believe that president’s climate vision will create more jobs on net,” he said.

He noted that the transportation sector was the biggest producer of greenhouse gases and said it was “imperative” to build infrastructure throughout the country to support electric vehicles.

“This is not only imperative in order for us to meet our climate goals and prevent the destruction of property and life but it’s also very important for industry,” he said.

American car companies, he explained, should move more quickly to the development of electric vehicles.

“American workers should be leading the way in producing for example electric vehicles in the most efficient vehicles on the road,” he said.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/01/21/pete-buttigieg-misguided-transportation-policies-reinforce-racial-inequality/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
 9999hair out0000

At some point, someone, somewhere, is actually going to have to move stuff. Not just click a mouse and have it transported on a unicorn spewing rainbows and fairy dust on the way.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

Hopefully, once idiots like Bootyjunk and the fat man with the blond wig and dress open their pieholes, many Americans will see them for the charlatans they are.
I'm not optimistic.

Offline dfwgator

"Everything we disagree with is racist!"

Offline LMAO

Do average Americans consider our highway system racist?  The only thing Americans care about when it comes to the highway system is that they are plowed in the winter and are not full of potholes
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
Do average Americans consider our highway system racist?  The only thing Americans care about when it comes to the highway system is that they are plowed in the winter and are not full of potholes

I guess we'll see Interstate signs saying "All White Men Right Lane Only," or maybe Federal Guidelines for commuter lane occupancy policies that one black rider is equivalent two hispanic or three white riders.
James 1:20

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Buttboy's claim to fame is he loves the "roundabout" to control traffic.  More rear-enders.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Hoodat

Signs like this scream of racism.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-